As a GM... how do you decide | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

As a GM... how do you decide

Thats why the GM gets paid the big bucks. He has years of research and film on all the draft able players.

Picks are all hit or miss. You just want to ensure the percentages are on your side. that's why we have 14 picks. The first round should be BPA to increase your chances of success. For example lets say the first 3 picks looked like this:

5 - TUA potential pro bowler
18 Kinlaw - potential prowler - elite interior pass rusher
26 - Mckinney - Best safety in draft and plays all secondary positions plus can rush

Well we might not have drafted for a need OT but we may have 3 pro bowlers added to team cause we picked BPA. Let second round and third round determine the other starting needs. LT/RT/RB etc.

I think it is all lining up for them to draft Tua even without tanking. They want to sit Tua anyway, so he will get a redshirt year and Fitz can play with his longtime offensive coordinator. The virus keeps other teams (and Miami) in the dark about Tua's health, so he might drop to 5. Drafting Tua was the plan for 2 years. With they being said, they will probably draft Herbert.

The Dolphins have the most picks, will make the most trades, will acquire additional 2021 picks and find more starters out of this draft than anyone else.

And to think we won’t have to do deal with the spectacle the draft has become in recent years. I couldn’t be looking forward to this anymore than I already am.

Decisions will be based on film more than ever. Fine by me.

Regardless of virus situation or not... watch... the teams that historically draft well will still have good drafts and the teams that do not draft well will still draft poorly.

I do think that the virus and lack of visits and pro days will affect the draft. I expect teams to go after safer options who they are more familiar with. This will not apply to our QB choice both Tua and Herbert have a ton of film and we’ve been scouting both players for at least 2 years. Tua’s medical info is out there and we were able to check him out at combine before this happened.

Any GM that can't get quality players out of this draft with as many picks as we have and as many good players in this draft alone needs to be out of the league.

Truly you need to be waiting for draft day to know who you will pick because anyone not pick BPA is going to lose out on top talent.

Regardless of virus situation or not... watch... the teams that historically draft well will still have good drafts and the teams that do not draft well will still draft poorly.
Hello Miami. I would you in the latter category.

I realize many will say just draft Tua .... but for the sake of conversation .....

Decisions are about to be made without the usual fanfare of workouts and interviews ... as a GM (or FO) what changes or more specifically how do you draft or trade with confidence without being able to put a FINAL due diligence report together?

I know every year blah blah blah and coaches and GM's career's are on the line ... but this year things could go south quickly for some ....

how much will the quarantine affect draft decisions and is accountability still held to the same standard?
As a GM you need to build an entire team, not just select the best players. That means drafting for scheme, and finding ways to get talent into all of the key positions and role players into the non-key positions ... all at price points where you can manage the salary cap. They also need to be players the coach can work well with, and sometimes personalities clash. This is more of a jigsaw puzzle than a ratings game. It's not just who has the higher number ... it's about using your resources collectively to facilitate the building of a great team.

And, you're never the boss. The owner is always the boss. So you need to convince him that what you are doing is right, and when he gets ticked off and fires someone, you need to adapt. Power struggles, clashing personalities in the front office, and pure ego issues can easily wreck the best laid plans. As, or course, can injuries or bust players.

From a leadership point of view, the best leaders in the draft are Jake Fromm and Tua, with Joe Burrow coming in a close third. The only one I wonder about from a leadership perspective is Herbert ... because he's just not a big personality with gravitas, and maybe not outgoing enough to command a huddle when things get rough. I was hoping to see more of that from him this year.

But the injury issue is real. There are a lot of examples. Yatil Green was an excellent WR prospect, drafted in round 1 by the Dolphins, and never got a chance to show his ability because of an injury ... wasted pick, despite oodles of talent and apparently a decent attitude. Some guys have lots of talent but never can stay healthy. Mike Pouncey was one of those guys, as was Koa Misi ... and so was Jake Long. Once the injuries started to pile up, it became nearly impossible for their bodies to catch up and become a durable player. Say what you will about Tua's injuries, but the fact remains he injured 3 lower body injuries in a short collegiate career. In the NFL the players are bigger and faster, and as he ages, his body will not respond as well. He has already demonstrated problematic injuries, and while I'm hopeful that he is on the road to a full recovery from the hip injury, I can't help but note his propensity to collect injuries as a 20 year old kid ... and that will get worse each year. I'm scared off. I wouldn't draft Tua at #5 overall, not because I dislike the player or the person, but because I feel the risk is too great. Trading up for him is a bad idea, IMHO. Regardless of what the Dolphins do, I hope for the best with Tua, because the NFL needs more good kids like him. It would be great to root for a good person, and IMHO, Tua is a good person in addition to a talented QB.

Look, if Tua has an injury-plagued or injury-shortened career, it will be the GM who gets fired. If we pass on him at #5 and Tua goes on to have an HoF career, it is the GM who gets fired. But, if we select a different QB and he pans out, then all is forgiven, even if we miss out on Tua. There are a lot of wildcard QB's in this draft.

Do not be surprised if one of the QB's outside of the Top 10 ends up being the best QB in this draft. Some people think Jordan Love is the next great thing ... but personally, he reminds me more of Akili Smith than Pat Mahomes. Most people think that Jacob Eason is a bad prospect and some even liken him to a statue, but he has the most arm talent in this draft, and he processes things quicker than anyone else in this draft, and he has the quickest release. He needs coaching, and he isn't a great athlete, but in a passing league, I would gamble on a guy who has the most arm talent ... but apparently I'm in a very small minority on this one.

What to do as a GM? Pick your poison. Either push all your chips in and gamble on Joe Burrow being the answer and trading up to #1, or make a similar gamble on Tua's health ... or just sit where you're at and select the BPA. Personally, I would select BPA. We're also loaded in the 2021 draft, and if we do not have a QB then, that's when we go all in, because by then we will then know what we do and do not have on the roster.

I think the workouts are overrated. By now, we've spoken to most of the players that we are interested in and have a pretty good idea if we think they are coachable.
We seen their game film and spoken to their coaches...

We have enough info.

honestly ive been trading down on sims a lot. like down to 7 and still gotten derrick brown and down to 25 and still gotten herbert. i think i see us trading down and then back up and onto next year. if anyone might take our scrubs we'll send them too, mccain, wilson, harris et al for whatever comp we can fetch at all. i can even see us trading late picks for players too.

Well Tua is the better QB from a talent standpoint but he is Sam Bradford 2.0 going all the way back to high school he has had the injury bug. Herbert has it all physically but he lacks leadership vision and crumbles under pressure. Love has the most upside but struggles with consistency and throws a lot of interceptions. Burrow will cost too much. So it’s a tough decision a gamble any which direction you go. And if you don’t get the number 1 pick next year your in the same predicament with Trevor Lawrence who I feel is the right answer at QB.

The GM's have their board, and they will take the bpa based on who they rank 1 to 256 and beyond.

Back
Top Bottom