As a GM... how do you decide | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

As a GM... how do you decide

If I'm GM then I'm doing online interviews. I am looking for players that are smart and decisive, able to make intelligent decisions in lightening speed. Like this guy...

I want my whole team of players to be able to process information like him.

Last edited:
If he uses Covid-19 as an excuse for bombing the draft he should be fired before he finishes the sentence.

The point was the difficulty level added to all teams because of social distancing ..... not a built in excuse for Grier ... some of you need to read the OP twice before commenting ... this isn't meant as an attack on Grier

Visits, workouts and interviews are also used as smokescreens ... all of these "tools" are not being used by all teams and if folks can't see that this is (at least) more challenging (knowing the draft can be a crapshoot) then I guess we just disagree ....

I don't get why folks find a way to get off topic and bash the FO every chance they get (not you necessarily ... but in general it happens too often)

personal agendas aside I believe it's going to cost somebody ...

Grier has been preparing for this draft since September at the latest. If he uses Covid-19 as an excuse for bombing the draft he should be fired before he finishes the sentence.
Grier is not alone. Don't forget he has also had ex Raiders GM, Reggie McKenzie, quietly working away for the past 18 months also evaluating talent. Plus his Assistant GM Marvin Allen, who came from the Bills but before that played a big role evaluating talent for the KC Chiefs.
Reggie was named NFL Executive of the year by the Pro Football writers in Jan 2017 after the Raiders made the playoffs, but after the Raiders did poorly the following season they recruited Jon Gruden for big money, and Reggie was replaced by Mike Mayock (and we quietly swooped on Reggie). There has been zero Dolphin publicity about him, but he's here listed as a Senior Personnel Executive and probably on a big salary.

Last edited:
Somehow I have the feeling that Belicheat will figure it out better than the other 31 teams.
Maybe, but not everything goes his way. I doubt he wanted to lose to a former understudy to end last season ;)

If I'm running the team:

Plan A: trade up to #1 and get Burrow, spend rest of draft trying to fix the Oline and get a Saftey.

Plan B: take BPA and trade down when appropriate to gather picks in 2021 for when we will try to get our franchise QB. Top priority- build a dominant Offensive line.

Plan C: if Tua falls past pick 10, use #18 and a 3rd rounder to move up to #11 and grab Tua... I do not take him at #5 based simply on medical. I would take Simmons or Becton at #5, if both are gone take Okuda and trade X immediatly for picks.

My top 5
1) Burrow
2) Young
3) Simmons
4) Okuda
5) Juedy
All 5 have the potential to be HOF at their positions. Likely all 5 will make multiple probowls.

Key notes on my mental draft board.

I have Herbert ranked as a 3rd rounder and Love valued as 2nd rounder. I would not take Herbert under any senerio.

Draft is heavy on offensive line players and weak on defensive line players.

Extremely deep and talented WR class.

Soild RB options should be available in 3rd round.

Only 1 bluechip QB in this Class -Burrow

The point was the difficulty level added to all teams because of social distancing ..... not a built in excuse for Grier ... some of you need to read the OP twice before commenting ... this isn't meant as an attack on Grier

Visits, workouts and interviews are also used as smokescreens ... all of these "tools" are not being used by all teams and if folks can't see that this is (at least) more challenging (knowing the draft can be a crapshoot) then I guess we just disagree ....

I don't get why folks find a way to get off topic and bash the FO every chance they get (not you necessarily ... but in general it happens too often)

personal agendas aside I believe it's going to cost somebody ...

This is the last sentence of your OP.

"how much will the quarantine affect draft decisions and is accountability still held to the same standard? "

The answer is yes. No one is bashing the front office, they're not making these excuses. If i start hearing Mando and Schad start making coronvirus excuses for the front office then they should be bashed.

I think bringing love to the facility is not a smokescreen. They like him. I think one of the following teams will draft Love and Love him.

JAX
RAIDERS
PATRIOTS
PACKERS
Dolphins

Grier is not alone. Don't forget he has also had ex Raiders GM, Reggie McKenzie, quietly working away for the past 18 months also evaluating talent. Plus his Assistant GM Marvin Allen, who came from the Bills but before that played a big role evaluating talent for the KC Chiefs.
Reggie was named NFL Executive of the year by the Pro Football writers in Jan 2017 after the Raiders made the playoffs, but after the Raiders did poorly the following season they recruited Jon Gruden for big money, and Reggie was replaced by Mike Mayock (and we quietly swooped on Reggie). There has been zero Dolphin publicity about him, but he's here listed as a Senior Personnel Executive and probably on a big salary.

Replaced by Mike Mayock AFTER having success. :lol: Typical.

No further comment.

Every team's GM is in the same boat, under the current worldwide health crisis facing us. But the good thing is, there was once a simpler system for teams selecting during the NFL Draft. Before ESPN and the televised event it became. It is different because it's going back in time. But even so, I'd expect the draft to be a success. O just hope Miami lays the groundwork for a foundation of players that leads to winning many games in the very near future.

Hiring Marvin Allen may have been one of Grier's best moves. If the Dolphins turn it around quick, Allen may not be around long. I do remember Omar Kelly saying on the radio that Allen has turned down interviews before because he doesn't want to deal with all that comes with being a GM and just enjoys the scouting.

They're all on the same boat...

Except the Patriots, who will be given special Info under the table to make sure the weekly checks to the NFL from Kraft Continue.

Back
Top Bottom