As it stands right now, who would you like to see Miami draft Rounds 1-3 | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

As it stands right now, who would you like to see Miami draft Rounds 1-3

Edge is less significant than any period I can remember in Dolphins history.
Great overall post!

I'd like to know why you think that is the case? Im having a hard time wrapping my head around this one. Im mean I get relative to any offensive position that is in direct relation to improving passing effeciency. But when it comes to defensive positions, Im not sure why edge would fall behind other defensive positions...?

I think both the Redskins and the Giants draft OT if they pick before Fins even if Young is on the board.
Incredibly wishful thinking. Whoever picks higher will take Young... PERIOD!

Here's a quick example from yesterday. When the Saints fell behind 14-0 in the first quarter I'm thinking...no big deal, they have Drew Brees. I fully expected they would rally to win.

Once the Bears fell behind 10-0 I turned it off and never returned...they have Mitch Trubisky.

As j-off-her-doll posted earlier, it's laughable to get excited about Chase Young. I posted a month ago that the Dolphins making that move would equate to Chase Young and a bunch of guys. The 49ers model only started to click once they continued to load up on the defensive front for several years. That looks great in stretches. It was the prized model in my youth. The Steel Curtain maintains legend to this day, along with the '85 Bears. But there were countless other versions, like the Fearsome Foursome (Rams), Purple People Eaters (Vikings), Sack Pack (Colts), and so forth.

I'll always prefer that era of football, and am thrilled that my lifespan encompassed it. But I've had to reluctantly accept the rules changes and salary-cap fragility of that model. I suggest the 49ers take full advantage this season. That type of +2.9 Yards Per Pass Attempt Differential is not likely to repeat next season. Likewise I suggest Ryan Tannehill take full advantage of this season. That level is not going to become the norm.

College football still enables both sides to be fortified season after season. That may lend to the chess piece infatuation. Tune in Ohio State vs. Clemson and there will be dominant players at every level. That's what 85 scholarships enables when 4-5 programs are now monopolizing the top of the recruiting rankings every single year. Clemson fully graduated one wave of defenders and seamlessly replaced them. Similarly they already signed the #1 quarterback recruit -- DJ Vowels -- to step in for Lawrence in a couple of years.

Throw away the chess piece mentality toward the NFL. Chase Young isn't worth what you think he is, not in this era. I mentioned that when I drove through Columbus in early November the Buckeye flagship station announcers were matter of factly agreeing that if they had to give up Chase Young or Justin Fields for the remainder of the season then it's a no brainer. You say goodbye to Chase Young.

Besides, as ckparrothead pointed out today, this Flores scheme is hardly targeted toward unleashing the edge guys. I am enjoying the 3rd down schemes each week, while trying to grasp exactly what is going on by position. This is no longer the Cameron Wake era. Edge is less significant than any period I can remember in Dolphins history.

Bottom line, a questionmark Tua is worth exponentially more in this NFL era than a dead solid perfect Chase Young
So you agree we should trade up for Young then???

j/k

Here's a quick example from yesterday. When the Saints fell behind 14-0 in the first quarter I'm thinking...no big deal, they have Drew Brees. I fully expected they would rally to win.

Once the Bears fell behind 10-0 I turned it off and never returned...they have Mitch Trubisky.

As j-off-her-doll posted earlier, it's laughable to get excited about Chase Young. I posted a month ago that the Dolphins making that move would equate to Chase Young and a bunch of guys. The 49ers model only started to click once they continued to load up on the defensive front for several years. That looks great in stretches. It was the prized model in my youth. The Steel Curtain maintains legend to this day, along with the '85 Bears. But there were countless other versions, like the Fearsome Foursome (Rams), Purple People Eaters (Vikings), Sack Pack (Colts), and so forth.

I'll always prefer that era of football, and am thrilled that my lifespan encompassed it. But I've had to reluctantly accept the rules changes and salary-cap fragility of that model. I suggest the 49ers take full advantage this season. That type of +2.9 Yards Per Pass Attempt Differential is not likely to repeat next season. Likewise I suggest Ryan Tannehill take full advantage of this season. That level is not going to become the norm.

College football still enables both sides to be fortified season after season. That may lend to the chess piece infatuation. Tune in Ohio State vs. Clemson and there will be dominant players at every level. That's what 85 scholarships enables when 4-5 programs are now monopolizing the top of the recruiting rankings every single year. Clemson fully graduated one wave of defenders and seamlessly replaced them. Similarly they already signed the #1 quarterback recruit -- DJ Vowels -- to step in for Lawrence in a couple of years.

Throw away the chess piece mentality toward the NFL. Chase Young isn't worth what you think he is, not in this era. I mentioned that when I drove through Columbus in early November the Buckeye flagship station announcers were matter of factly agreeing that if they had to give up Chase Young or Justin Fields for the remainder of the season then it's a no brainer. You say goodbye to Chase Young.

Besides, as ckparrothead pointed out today, this Flores scheme is hardly targeted toward unleashing the edge guys. I am enjoying the 3rd down schemes each week, while trying to grasp exactly what is going on by position. This is no longer the Cameron Wake era. Edge is less significant than any period I can remember in Dolphins history.

Bottom line, a questionmark Tua is worth exponentially more in this NFL era than a dead solid perfect Chase Young
Awesome post. I remember those amazing defenses from the 70's even tho I was just a kid but totally agree things have change a lot. You want an offense that can score and that you know it's never out of the game.

I think the big takeaway is that as a team, you are trying to spend as much time in the contender window as possible. I dont think its even arguable that the passing offense is the most effective way to get there fast.

The pass offense first model, which to me looks like KC who have a great offense and a bad defense... The fact they have a bad defense doesnt take em out of contending. The defense first or generally adding talent everywhere model is really fragile. Some teams have had success with it but most failed. Look at the Jags, the Rex Ryan Jets, the Bears...

If I was going to illustrate this, a simple napkin drawing would do the trick.

On the left you have the offense first model which quickly rises in winning% as the offense is taken care of. On the left side, you've got your strong defensive team getting better at a steady rate but doesnt get a steeper curve until the offense starts to grow.... They're in the contender window much later and once they get there, its time to pay all to defensive guys... Most of those teams actually crumble shortly after entering the contender window....

View attachment 35141

This is mostly an opinion though, I could be wrong just as well...

That kc defense was 10th in points against going into that beat down of da bears Sunday night.

Projections:
Cin: Burrow
Skins: Young
Lions: Okudah or Simmons or Tradedown to Chargers or Raiders.
Giants: Thomas
Miami: Tua Okudah or Simmons.

I am slightly concerned about Detroit trading down - Watch: Raiders or Chargers at 6-7...

If I’m Detroit- I have multiple holes on Defense. If board is Tua, Brown, Simmons, Okudah— I’m shopping the pick to a QB hungry team, grabbing an elite Defender, and recouping a Rd2.

Young would be a 3-4 OLB (standing up) and a 4-3 DE (hand down).

In this D, he's a DE - think T. Flowers.
That kc defense was 10th in points against going into that beat down of da bears Sunday night.

The additions of Honey Badger and Thornhill have really improved that secondary. Big thing is that it takes some degree of balance, but offense gives you a much bigger window. The play of the D is going to fluctuate over the course of a few years, but if you have Reid, Mahomes, and a talented offense, you'll be in position to take advantage of the years your D is on an upswing.

dont forget the Cardinals. They have Chandler Jones with his 19 sacks, and 4 on Sunday....yet they've only won a few games. A top DE wont win you a super bowl.

Most of the top teams in the NFL right now have top QBs.

Yeah I was just pointing out maybe more cause it surprised me even that kc fields a top 10 scoring defense this year.

1a DT Derrick Brown
1b S/LB Isaih Simmons
1c OT Aistin Jackson
2a EDGE Curtis Weaver
2b OT Prince Tega
3 QB Jalen Hurts

careful with Prince Tega, he's a bit raw. Ideally, we want plug and play on this disastrous OL.

Back
Top Bottom