As Nfl Teams Hire One Type Of Coach, Miami Dolphins Search Goes In Different Direction | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

As Nfl Teams Hire One Type Of Coach, Miami Dolphins Search Goes In Different Direction

Well if the Dolphins hire Dowell Loggains, that "Different Direction" will be straight down the shytter. I'm not sure that direction is all that different from the one many teams take out of the annals of NFL history.

Here's a breakdown of rankings for anyone interested. Top 12 instead of Top 10
Scoring Offense.....9 of 12 ranked in top 12
Scoring Defense....7 of 12 ranked in top 12
Total Offense...…...7 of 12 ranked in top 12
Total Defense...…..6 of 12 ranked in top 12
Rushing offense....8 of 12 ranked in top 12
Rushing Defense...9 of 12 ranked in top 12
Pass Offense...…….7 of 12 ranked in top 12
Pass Defense...…...3 of 12 ranked in top 12
Turnover Differential.....8 of 12 ranked in top 12
Have to be able to run and stop the run when it comes playoff time.

I think this was actually a smart approach because the Dolphins are competing against noone for the top of the defensive crop while the other teams were trying to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find "the next Sean McVay". The only issue I had is that they didn't interview Fangio or other top DCs, seemed to just limit it to Richard, Flores and Allen.

Here's a breakdown of rankings for anyone interested. Top 12 instead of Top 10
Scoring Offense.....9 of 12 ranked in top 12
Scoring Defense....7 of 12 ranked in top 12
Total Offense...…...7 of 12 ranked in top 12
Total Defense...…..6 of 12 ranked in top 12
Rushing offense....8 of 12 ranked in top 12
Rushing Defense...9 of 12 ranked in top 12
Pass Offense...…….7 of 12 ranked in top 12
Pass Defense...…...3 of 12 ranked in top 12
Turnover Differential.....8 of 12 ranked in top 12

Very interesting, thanks for posting. Statistically, pass defense being a 'who cares?' stat compared to the others might make sense if you consider that teams give up more passing yards when they're winning and the opposition has to throw the ball more.

Out of the top 8 teams in offensive scoring, 6 are still alive in the playoffs. Only one of those top 8 didn't make the playoffs. There's a reason teams are going with offensive focused hires. Ross and Grier deserve each other.

You mean hot commodities like Cam Cam and Joe Philbin were at the time they were interviewing

You mean hot commodities like Cam Cam and Joe Philbin were at the time they were interviewing

I think teams have taken things too far now with this McVay obsession. After Matt Nagy had a very good first year with the Bears, suddenly it's Waiting for McVay with NFL teams. Never mind that these teams don't have the talent level of the Rams or even the Bears. No, we need Sean McVay's cousin's sister's best friend's nephew in here.

Kliff Kingsbury, you just got fired from your alma mater after posting a losing record there over the span of several years? Come on down! You were appreciably worse than Tommy Tuberville, who was much worse than Mike Leach. And now, you're the next head coach of the Arizona Cardinals. We're going to introduce you to the fans now... hang on, just crafting this press release. Here we go! Hope you don't mind, we introduced you as GOOD FRIEND OF SEAN MCVAY right here in the first line of the release.

Zac Taylor, you have one and a half seasons on your resume as an offensive coordinator, and you were fired after both of those stints... but you have been Sean McVay's quarterbacks coach for two seasons. Well, you know Sean McVay and you kind of look like him, so... come on down!

Matt LaFleur, you once shook Sean McVay's hand at a convention. You just took over the offense of the Tennessee Titans and the team's offense actually got a little bit worse under you. The Titans actually are concerned that you don't have the stature or command to lead the offensive meeting room, but Sean McVay said you have a great handshake. We're going to hire you to run the Green Bay Packers. Please stand by, our media team is going to get our fanbase excited by pointing out that you are connected with Sean McVay!

Total insanity. I'll give the Dolphins a ton of credit for one aspect of this coaching search: They seem to have resisted the urge to catch McVay Fever.

Looking at the other hires none are over the top good.. Tampa is getting a damn good staff but for how long..
After Cam Philbin and Gase I figured we were going to switch it up a bit..
Adam Gase just got Gregg Williams to join the Jets he will actually be able to leave the D alone in good hands.
I think with Richard and Rizzi our defense is a steady 4-3 and we wont see much change from that.. with Flores we should see multiple fronts and show some different action. What kind of staff will any of these guys be able to field is the question.

who cares who they get at this point, Grier needs to draft and buy lower end FA to rebuild the OL and DL and hopefully hit on a LB or 2, for the next 2 years and hopefully we tank the year that Trevor Lawrence is in the NFL draft. then get Coach like Ken Whisenhunt and hopefully be set for many years with a proper team and cap...

We would likely get the 6th pick of OCs.
Going against the grain ?
I have no problem with it.
Promote Rizzi to OC. He would probably be better than Gase

We would likely get the 6th pick of OCs.
Going against the grain ?
I have no problem with it.
Promote Rizzi to OC. He would probably be better than Gase

Picking plays from Madden would be better than Gase

Back
Top Bottom