As of Weds morning, No Phins on Opt Out list | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

As of Weds morning, No Phins on Opt Out list

He’s a Harvard grad. He’s still earning interest on his paper route income. Dude has zero concerns about money. His wife did not want him to play last year. I guarantee you there is pressure at home to opt out.
Who says that his wife did not want him to play last year? With a home in the Tampa area, it meant a lot more work for her looking after all 7 Fitz Kidz during the football season, but my understanding is that Mama Fitz was 100% supportive of her husband and handled the situation really well. (I think I read an article last year how proud Fitz is of his wife just managing everything so well).
BTW - Ryan is a Harvard Economics graduate. He knows that his NFL years probably represent his best income generating years and he's set to make $8M more this year. Incidentally, Ryan's career earnings (over his first 15 seasons are $63,541,098 (per Spotrac).

Last edited:
Who says that his wife did not want him to play last year? With a home in the Tampa area, it meant a lot more work for her looking after all 7 Fitz Kidz during the football season, but my understanding is that Mrs Fitz was 100% supportive of her husband and handled the situation really well. (I think I read an article last year how proud Fitz is of his wife just managing everything so well).
BTW - Ryan is a Harvard Economics graduate. He knows that his NFL years probably represent his best income generating years and he's set to make $8M this year. Incidentally, Ryan's career earnings (over 15 seasons are $63,541,098 (per Spotrac).
I’ve always said he has been super smart to generate that much money and stay in the league as long as he has without being any good - and at the most important position. It’s incredible.

I’ve always said he has been super smart to generate that much money and stay in the league as long as he has without being any good - and at the most important position. It’s incredible.
What he is terrific at is holding things together while the team transitions to the future QB. I thought he did a great job for us last year taking the hits behind a crappy O-line, with no RBs to rely on, Fitz soldiered on and even won some tough games towards the end of the season.
He's now starting his 16th season and teammates and former coaches all love him. Everything I've heard about Fitz is that he earns respect and that's a great leadership quality.
Now Tua Tagovailoa has a front row seat. His job is to watch, listen and learn.

There is no super star on dolphins team yet.. everybody competing for roster spot or want get paid. This is young team.. dolphins player are hungry for that money.

What he is terrific at is holding things together while the team transitions to the future QB. I thought he did a great job for us last year taking the hits behind a crappy O-line, with no RBs to rely on, Fitz soldiered on and even won some tough games towards the end of the season.
He's now starting his 16th season and teammates and former coaches all love him. Everything I've heard about Fitz is that he earns respect and that's a great leadership quality.
Now Tua Tagovailoa has a front row seat. His job is to watch, listen and learn.
I get that and don’t dispute it - I’m saying it’s increíble that he’s been around so long without helping teams win is more to the point.

I've seen a few players around the league announce their retirement from the league in the last few weeks, wouldn't it make more sense to opt out of the 2020 season and then retire next offseason. If they opt out they still get paid for 2020 right?

I've seen a few players around the league announce their retirement from the league in the last few weeks, wouldn't it make more sense to opt out of the 2020 season and then retire next offseason. If they opt out they still get paid for 2020 right?
You would make the standard "sitting out the season" paycheck, not your full salary. Can't remember what that number is. But if I was thinking of retirement I'd do exactly what you said. Show me the money. :)

You would make the standard "sitting out the season" paycheck, not your full salary. Can't remember what that number is. But if I was thinking of retirement I'd do exactly what you said. Show me the money. :)
Hard to say what the specific contractual language is. You know both sides had a legion of high priced lawyers looking at the agreement.

There may be a reqirement we are not aware of.

I think if you opt out you get $150k (if health related risk $350K), but your contract just gets pushed back a year and is reduced accordingly to this year payout. If you retire next year or if you don't make a team, technically you owe the money back.

And they've now added an opt out at any point in the season if bad things happen.

And they've now added an opt out at any point in the season if bad things happen.

"bad things"

They have covid and are in a high risk category, a family member is hospitalized or dies from Covid related causes.

Back
Top Bottom