Ashtyn Davis | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ashtyn Davis

Dolphinator530

Club Member
Reaction score
6'1 195 RS Senior

Bit of an older guy but I really like his game and believe he could fit well in Miami. Now there is an obvious link to Miami since his college DB coach is now one of the DB coaches in Miami so I am sure they will have a ton of info on him. Came to Cal as a track star I believe and walked on after his freshman year, and eventually becoming a stand out defensive player in the Pac-12. Which already gives me good feelings for him, not a highly recruited guy who has made himself into a player, always see upside in these guys as they have seen first hand that correlation between work and results.

Super super athletic guy overall, freshman year was PAC-12 runner up in the 100m hurdles. Great burst and very good range, doesn't mind coming up in run support. Might have a hard time shedding blocks against bigger guys but receivers and TE's shouldn't be the biggest deterrent. Will say he ducks his head a lot when tackling, but is a super high energy and high motor guy. Played all across the board at Cal and offers some versatility, was used in deep middle, deep half, quarters, nickel in man to man, as a nickel linebacker. His feet are good and he is very fluid, good instincts and high football IQ. Not the biggest "ballhawk" but isn't really weak when being challenged. Also offers 4 phase special teams work, he is a tremendous returner and definitely would be an excellent gunner in punt and kick coverage.

Kind of reminds me of Budda Baker, IMO a plug in play guy. Late 1st early 2nd (if lucky) is where I think he goes. He will shine in the compression shorts war in Indy. If Miami goes CB over a S in FA look for a guy like this to be a target come draft day.

Last edited:
He'll be a target for Miami. One of the better single high MOF options at safety in this class. Tackling is shaky though.

He seems like a very versatile DB who could be used in different ways but the tackling is a concern especially since we are assuming Flores wants the type of players he coached in NE(which we may be overstating)because they really value tackling in the secondary.....they value it everywhere to be honest.

I think we can assume Flores wants, tough, smart, versatile players on defense but we will have to see a few drafts to know what he and Grier really value in terms of size, speed etc...

I like his versatility for a fit in this d. I’m with slimm though needs to tackle more

How does everyone feel he compares to Jessie Bates? Asking because I was too low on Bates, and I'm not as high on Davis as most seem to be.

One of the supposedly top prospect I hope we don't pick, watched a bit of his tape, so unimpressed with him, has me wondering what others see in him. Hope we stay well away far better safety prospects in this draft.

One of the supposedly top prospect I hope we don't pick, watched a bit of his tape, so unimpressed with him, has me wondering what others see in him. Hope we stay well away far better safety prospects in this draft.

Mind sharing why you saw on tape that left you unimpressed? Always up to hear others opinion on a guy.

Mind sharing why you saw on tape that left you unimpressed? Always up to hear others opinion on a guy.

Very limited athletically, never the main reason for a positive play. Tackling was poor, fails to wrap up, doesn't seem instinctive. He plays in a position that has a tendency to pop, with impact, but he doesn't, seems to play as slow as a molasses, maybe I just watched the wrong game, think it was Old Miss 2019.

Think there are plenty of other options at the saftrey slot, in those first three rounds, I would rather we go down that route personally.

He is kind of a jack of all trades without any outstanding skills.

Not a true center fielder and not a sure tackler either.

We are talking about a 3rd rounder at best so you get blemishes on those guys.

Guy can’t tackle worth a damn ..late 3rd early 4th is where he ends up I think.

Very limited athletically, never the main reason for a positive play. Tackling was poor, fails to wrap up, doesn't seem instinctive. He plays in a position that has a tendency to pop, with impact, but he doesn't, seems to play as slow as a molasses, maybe I just watched the wrong game, think it was Old Miss 2019.

Think there are plenty of other options at the saftrey slot, in those first three rounds, I would rather we go down that route personally.

Extremely suprised to hear this assessment. Everything I've heard about this kid is he plays with great anticipation and is everywhere on the field.

Are you sure we're talking about Davis here?

He is kind of a jack of all trades without any outstanding skills.

From What I have seen, this seems to be him. I'm not sure I want that in this team for a top 100 pick, looking for a bit more.

It's crazy to me how people can get such different takes on a guy. Most acknowledge he needs to be better w/ tackling, that we can agree on, but what is he? Super athletic or not very? My guess is somewhere in the middle of those

Super super athletic guy overall, freshman year was PAC-12 runner up in the 100m hurdles. super high energy and high motor guy.
Very limited athletically, never the main reason for a positive play. Tackling was poor, fails to wrap up, doesn't seem instinctive.

It's crazy to me how people can get such different takes on a guy. Most acknowledge he needs to be better w/ tackling, that we can agree on, but what is he? Super athletic or not very? My guess is somewhere in the middle of those

And Travis you are probably right, that's why I wouldn't use a top 100 pick on him though, I want better than middle of the road in those first three rounds and I think you can get it at the safety position in this draft. If he's there in the 5th I think about it, but wouldn't be a slam dunk if he's on the board when we pick.

Right now the mock boards have him around Antione Witfield and Kyle Dugger, and way ahead of Grant, Gilman, Blackmon, Fuller and Reid. I think that's way over valued and would pick any of those guys before him personally.

And Travis you are probably right, that's why I wouldn't use a top 100 pick on him though, I want better than middle of the road in those first three rounds and I think you can get it at the safety position in this draft. If he's there in the 5th I think about it, but wouldn't be a slam dunk if he's on the board when we pick.

Right now the mock boards have him around Antione Witfield and Kyle Dugger, and way ahead of Grant, Gilman, Blackmon, Fuller and Reid. I think that's way over valued and would pick any of those guys before him personally.
Agreed, want better than middle of the pack. I feel like Flores is going to want sure tacklers, unless this guy can committ to getting better at it, will he?

I'm more inclined to take a shot on Delpit improving or Winfield and his injuries

Back
Top Bottom