Ask Brett Tessler | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Brett Tessler

Dredd1050 said:
Hi Brett,

You may have answered this one before, so just let me know if you have. What is the chance of Edge James signing as a Dolphin next year, and do you think that is why Miami's front office will have the RB by committee this year? Thanks.
Right now it looks like a strong possibilty that Edgerrin James could be playing for the Miami Dolphins in 2005. They'll be in need of a proven rusher and he's already stated that it would be his dream to play at home (in Miami). It's hard to tell if he's just posturing to get a huge extension from Indy, or if he really wants to leave. Remember that even if he does want to come here, there's no guarantee that Miami will be willing to pay him what he wants. In the meantime, it appears that Miami's best option will be the running back-by-committee.

I think Edge truly wants to play in Miami over Indy. Every interview he gives, you can see it. He's being about as honest as he can be without dissing his current team.

But you make a great point. I think he's going to want the moon, regardless of whether or not he returns to form this year. And the Dolphins have shown an unwillingness to pay top dollar for a skill player who isn't their own.

One other thing as well that many have seemed to forget is if the fact that if Minor or one of our guys has a pretty good year and proves that they can do the job, I think they could very well earn the job permanently. I really think this is a big year for the Dolphins , in more ways than one. Will the team rebound enough from all this that Wannsteadt is able to return as coach next year,will we have to find a new RB or not next year, will Feeley pan out or will we have to find another QB , what about the O-line play, will we have to continue to try to rebuild it or will these guys come together. To me, this is a crucial year in the future of the Dolphins, and which directions we will be taking. Just to add, I like Feeley and Minor and our O-line so I really hope things come together, but I have to admit, all is very questionable right now.

Hey Brett,

Thanks for answering my question. I have another one now. With the signing of Tim Brown emminent in TB, do you think it's out of the realm of posibility that Miami will sign Freeman and also make an effort for McCardell?

hi brett,
i think its great what you are doing, and appreciate your taking the time - speaks WORLDS for your profession and your professionalism!

People, i've seen a LOT of repeat questions here... please take the time to read the thread to answer 95% of the questions.

Now, i hate to ask this, but its been bugging me all thread. What is the general consensus in the agent industry about the movie "jerry macguire"? The reason i ask is, i am in the computer security business, and we view the movie "Hackers" as much more a comedy than non-fiction or documentary. Many of the things publicized about the business are quite false or not as glamourous as made seem. Is the same true for jerry mcguire and sports agents as is for hackers in the information assurance sector? (notwithstanding the damned show you the money line).

Secondly, it has been reported that Ricky Williams has said that he would "file for bankruptcy" and "take any measure necessary" to avoid paying back some of his signing bonus. Do you think this is an ill-advised move by his agent, a classless-move by a bitter and estranged RB, or just plain stupidity?

Thanks for your time.

Hi Brett,
I'm intrigued by your profession, so thanks for providing an inside scoop on what some of it is like. Here's my question(s).

In recent days, the Phillip Rivers and Chargers negotiations have, apparently, taken a turn for the worse. The Chargers organization isusing the media to garner support and Rivers' agent is responding in kind and saying the Chargers are counting incentives that no other player in history has ever achieved. My question is, when negotiations get to this point does taking your case to the court of public opinion ever help either side? I would think it would create undue conflict myself. Also, which side, if any, has the power right now in these negotations? After making their conflict with each other public, what is the next step they are likely to take? Do they just not speak until one side budges? Any other interesting takes on this situation you would like to talk about?

Danny1339 said:
Hi Brett,

This is great stuff. Keep it up.

Jay Fiedler is slotted to make 3,0000,000 Sage is slotted to make 628,000 & Feely is slotted to make 455,000. Miami gave up a 2nd for Feeley & we all think it's really his job to lose.

If AJ gets the job, will Miami keep a 3mil backup?

How do you see it?

Thanks.
You make an excellent point. In many starting quarterback competitions the loser is often asked to take a pay cut or get released (especially if he's a high-priced vet like Fiedler). I don't think the Dolphins will be able to do that in this situation because neither Jay nor A.J. has stepped up and the team will be forced to keep them both as insurance. For whatever reason, they still refuse to give Rosenfels a shot.

P.S. Based on everything I'm hearing from the inside, it's Fiedler's job.

dolphindan1970 said:
One other thing as well that many have seemed to forget is if the fact that if Minor or one of our guys has a pretty good year and proves that they can do the job, I think they could very well earn the job permanently.
Dan,
I think it's highly unlikely that Travis Minor will be the long-term solution. He's already been in the league a few years now and the Dolphins know exactly what they're getting. He's a good change of pace back who probably isn't capable of being the 25 carry-a-game workhorse that Ricky was. I know that a lot of people in the organization like Sammy Morris, but look for the Dolphins to go after a top-notch running back in free agency next year.

Dredd1050 said:
Hey Brett,

Thanks for answering my question. I have another one now. With the signing of Tim Brown emminent in TB, do you think it's out of the realm of posibility that Miami will sign Freeman and also make an effort for McCardell?
I heard that Antonio Freeman's workout with the Dolphins went very well and that he might be their best option right now.

texasPHINSfan said:
hi brett,
i think its great what you are doing, and appreciate your taking the time - speaks WORLDS for your profession and your professionalism!

People, i've seen a LOT of repeat questions here... please take the time to read the thread to answer 95% of the questions.

Now, i hate to ask this, but its been bugging me all thread. What is the general consensus in the agent industry about the movie "jerry macguire"? The reason i ask is, i am in the computer security business, and we view the movie "Hackers" as much more a comedy than non-fiction or documentary. Many of the things publicized about the business are quite false or not as glamourous as made seem. Is the same true for jerry mcguire and sports agents as is for hackers in the information assurance sector? (notwithstanding the damned show you the money line).

Thanks for your time.
Thanks for the compliments brother. The movie Jerry Maguire definitely helped glamourize the agent business. Now when girls ask me what I do it's much easier to explain. Some parts of the movie are realistic and some parts aren't. For instance, after screwing up my last relationship I tried telling my ex-girlfriend that she "completed me"... she told me to get lost.

Muck said:
I'm not Brett, but many people, including myself, believe Ladanian Tomlinson is the best back in the league. :)
Agreed. Jamal Lewis was able to get that yardage last year due to his team's amazing O-line.

Brett Tessler said:
Thanks for the compliments brother. The movie Jerry Maguire definitely helped glamourize the agent business. Now when girls ask me what I do it's much easier to explain. Some parts of the movie are realistic and some parts aren't. For instance, after screwing up my last relationship I tried telling my ex-girlfriend that she "completed me"... she told me to get lost.
That's hilarious! Were you able to do it without laughing?

Brett Tessler said:
Dan,
I think it's highly unlikely that Travis Minor will be the long-term solution at running back. He's already been in the league a few years now and the Dolphins know exactly what they're getting. He's a good change of pace back who's not capable of being the 25 carry-a-game workhorse that Ricky was. I know that a lot of people in the organization have been impressed with Sammy Morris, but look for the Dolphins to go after a top-notch back in free agency next year.
Along those lines, have you heard anything (beyond what was initially reported) about Edgerrin James coming to Miami next year? Do you feel his comments were more about upping his price, or do you feel he honestly wants to be a Dolphin? I tend to believe he's being truthful (because of his family living there), but I thought you may have a little more experience determining these motives.

Thank you for your time!

Whoops. I didn't read all 15 pages, and just saw that you already answered the Edge question. Sorry for the repeat.

Traven said:
Hi Brett,
I'm intrigued by your profession, so thanks for providing an inside scoop on what some of it is like. Here's my question(s).

In recent days, the Phillip Rivers and Chargers negotiations have, apparently, taken a turn for the worse. The Chargers organization isusing the media to garner support and Rivers' agent is responding in kind and saying the Chargers are counting incentives that no other player in history has ever achieved. My question is, when negotiations get to this point does taking your case to the court of public opinion ever help either side? I would think it would create undue conflict myself. Also, which side, if any, has the power right now in these negotations? After making their conflict with each other public, what is the next step they are likely to take? Do they just not speak until one side budges? Any other interesting takes on this situation you would like to talk about?
Teams and agents both use the media as a way to get their information out and put pressure on the other side. When dealing with the print media you need to be VERY careful about who you talk to and what you say. A few months ago one of the Tennessee papers asked me how McGarrahan's negotiations were going and I told them that we wanted to be back and that I was hopeful that we'd get a multi-year deal done at some point. My eyes almost fell out of my head when I read this the next morning:
http://www.tennessean.com/sports/titans/archives/04/04/50174083.shtml?Element_ID=50174083

Then I had to do a little damage control the following day:
http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?section=7&screen=news&news_id=32533

Thankfully, we finally got the deal done last month:
http://www.tennessean.com/sports/titans/archives/04/07/55103925.shtml?Element_ID=55103925

I have a great relationship with the South Florida media and I trust them implicitly. In a situation like what's going on between Rivers and San Diego, things appear to have gotten out of hand and both sides need to settle down. Nobody really has an upper-hand right now because the longer Rivers holds out the more it hurts himself AND the team. It's sort of like a head-on crash where both cars are totalled. Is there really a winner?

Back
Top Bottom