Ask Brett Tessler | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Brett Tessler

Welcome to the machine....Jerry McGuire..(I mean Brett)

Welcome Brett. I have to be honest, I have swore many blue strings at many sports agents in general over the years. But, since you are obviously a fins fan....Ill forget any transgretions you have commited..or might commit to the future hahahaha.

Welcome Brad, thanks for all your time. Just a thought, then if you would, your thoughts. It seems the NFL has changed so much since 1970 when I first started watching, it use to be that a player would and could start with and end with the same team. I loved this, because the player really became part of that community could be identified with that team for life, but of course, nowadays, with Free agency the way it is, that only happens very little. My question is, I had seen rumors at 1 time where the NFL was working on a plan for veterans that would possibly not subject them to the cap (or something like that), and make it possible after so many years, to stay with that team and not hurt them financially. What are your thoughts on this, and do you think it will ever happen (NOTE: Forgive me if my details of the plan I had heard about are somewhat off, it has been awhile since I saw this report Thanks again, Dan

welcome,
is your job as an agent to find the players good deals and places to go?
and also, can aN nfl player play in the Arena Football in the offseason?

nick19991 said:
Brett,
Who were some of your favorite clients that you have had?
People think Trent Gamble and I are brothers. Working for Mike Alstott was a roller-coaster ride because we were just coming out of college together and had no idea how quickly things were about to take off. On a personal level I appreciate every client who's put their trust in me over the years. I only represent good people, because the bad ones don't want an agent like me who tells it like it is and doesn't kiss their butt. Being closer in age to these guys helps, and on our free time we have a lot of fun together. You wouldn't believe some of the stories.

do you know any players who dont have an agent?
and how do you become an agent?

I remember during Alstott's rookie or second year, I saw him and another guy on QVC or Home Shopping Network or something like that. They were on there as guests and were selling some kind of memorabilia (don't recall exactly).

My question is, were you the "other guy"?? :lol:

Fins4evr72 said:
Brett,

Great to have you here.

I took a negotiations class last semester with an ex-Sports agent who was involved with the Kellen Winslow from the family lawyer perspective. We got the play by play, real time. I thought it was an interesting twist how Kellen Sr went about the hiring of a Sports Agent and ultimately went against the advice of many in making the final choice.

What are your thoughts on the process?
Were you involved at all?

On a totally different note. I did very well in the class and my teacher said my instincts for negotiations and my love of sports would make me a great sports agent. Unfortunately, looking into it, it would seem that I am over qualified and that the industry looks down on MBAs... the path seems to be to work your way up from the bottom gaining the connections along the way.
One thought I had about cracking in was to start a hedge fund or basic Private Equity fund for professional players with substantial liquid assets. I often hear how players who shouldn't be in financial hardship end up there because of mismanagement of their assets. It would seem that this would be a great option to offer your players as an agent. With up to 40% annual returns their salaries could be that much more and they would be financially secure for life.

All in all, I think bringing more responsibility to the industry is a must. What are your thoughts on this? Are there funds already out there? (I am sure) Is there room for more?

Thanks.
For people who aren't familiar with the Kellen Winslow recruiting fiasco, his father was making agents pay a lot of money for the privilege of just TALKING with them. The NFLPA spoke out against it and in my opinion it was disgraceful that a Hall of Famer would pimp out his own son. There's no way in hell I'd ever be a part of that.

In regards to some of your other ideas, it's all been done. There are millions of ways to be involved in the business of sports.

Dude said:
QUESTION:

Besides yourself, do you know if any other players, agents, or coaches scan boards like this for information or fan feedback??? Does Ricky or Dave W. visit finheaven with an alias?

Thanks for your input!
Not that I'm aware of, but you never know...

Brett is Ricky the best in the league, or will his marijuana incidents come up to bite him in the ***? I love Ricky and all but i beleive Jamal has taken his spot. Also how do you become an Agent? Send soon Brett!!!!

I'm not Brett, but many people, including myself, believe Ladanian Tomlinson is the best back in the league. :)

Brett,

Thanks for taking the time to answer our question, and providing some great insight 'behind the curtain' as it were.

Any tips for how a fan can make a positive impression on an athlete or sports figure upon meeting them? Any 'rabid fan' horror stories you can share as anecdotes?

Again, thanks for the time. Mods, you might want to consider editing the content of the thread later into a Q&A format for 'flipper's finest'.

FinsOnTop said:
Brett,

Thanks for taking our questions. Mine is this:

Do you come across players who tell you 'Get me (or keep me) on this team even though I can make more money elsewhere'; and if so, do you try to talk them into not limiting their choices?
When choosing the best situation for a player you need to consider several factors: How does he fit in schematically, state taxes, school systems, cost of living, playing surface, coaching staff, depth chart, and of course money. Again, my job is to present the player with his options and help him make the best decision. At the end of the day I want my player and I to be on the same page.

PhinstiGator said:
Please elaborate. In what ways is it better to deal with Spielman and company as opposed to less desirable teams in our division?
Rick and I have been friendly since he was with the Chicago Bears. Over the years we've done several deals together and he's always been straight-up. I also have a great relationship with many other people in the Dolphins organization.

Most of the other teams in the NFL are a pleasure to do business with as well. There are only a handful of teams that most agents don't enjoy dealing with (and I'm not gonna tell you who they are).

Back
Top Bottom