Ask Brett Tessler | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Brett Tessler

Wally's Tactics

Drew has threaten that if they don’t reach an agreement on a contract that Ogun would sit out the first 10 games of the season and return for the last 6 in order to gain his eligibility for FAs. Wally isn’t the first RFA to reach an impasse with his team but this is the first time I have heard a player make this threat. Have other players used this tactic or is Drew breaking new ground? Is there some counter measure the Phins could use to thwart this ploy?

Muck said:
What is it like negotiating a contract with Speilman?? What's he like?? Also, is he the guy that does most of the negotiating?? Or do the Dolphins have other guys who handle contract talks??
Rick is involved in all the contract negotaions along with Matt Thomas who is the team "capologist". Rick has an easygoing personality, but he's far from a push-over. I think their recent track record proves they're willing to let any player get away instead of over-paying him (regardless of how badly they may need his services).

Hey Brett

I havent read through this entire thread so I don't know if this question has been asked.

I assuming that since you have 15 clients that you represent, you have people that you work with, i.e. secretaries, lawyers, etcc.. ala Arliss style. or am I completely wrong? The resaon I ask is with the two F##K ups this offseason with agents not doing simple things like sending certified letters by a deadline for their marquee players. Is this something that a secretary or pa handles and the agent just does the negotiating and shmoozing, therefore a couple of people got fired becasue of that mistake or is it the agents oversight, therefore, they should be fired. Either way what's your thoughts on those two incidents (Northcutt, Owens). From ths outside it looks like bafoonery, but maybe you could shed some light as to how and why that could happen.

NJPHINFAN said:
Mr. Tessler,

What is your opinion of the errors made by the agent for Terrell Owens and by the agent for Dennis Northcutt?

These guys played to get to the point that they were at in free agency and then it gets screwed up by what appears to be a simple clerical error.

Who takes the hit on something like this? I realize that ultimately the agent gets the hit, but this seems like a simple task that is probably handled by an underling. How does a screw up of these proportions happen?

Thanks for your time.
There's no excuse for something like that to happen. This is the exact reason why I do everything on my own and don't take on more clients than I can handle.

SWS84 said:
Hi Brett,

Welcome aboard! Do you hail from the Miami area? If so, do you attend any camps? If so, there are sure to be a bunch of us finheaven guys and gals lurking about sporting a finheaven T-shirt or something. Drop by and say hi if you get a chance.

Steve
Thanks Steve. I'm based in Plantation and I'll certainly be getting out to some of the camps. When I go I'll keep my eyes open for you guys (and definitely for the gals).;)

Hey Brett,
I was just wondering if you dabble in your clients personal affairs...
Touchy subject, but say you knew a player's performance was declining because of drugs or because of his lack of commitment, would you be afraid to talk about it to him or...
How have you dealt with similar issues as an agent ?
Also which is harder making a case for a rookie or a 10 year vet to a GM ?
I suppose you could talk about potential when it comes to a rookie and credentials when it comes to the 10 year vet but there's also the downside of his carrer argument for the 10 year vet and inexperience argument for the rookie...
Pink Dove

Dajesus said:
Ok Brett I have a tough one for you. You don't have to answer with detail a simple yes or no will do. On pretty much ever depiction of agents on TV mainly Arliss and that Jay Moore show that I don't think lasted you always see agents called in to clean up a huge mess that their client made that could end their professional careers or put them in jail. The agents then come in and look like their guy was never there no matter how inmoral it may be. Have you ever been put in a situation like that or heard of a real life situation that another agent you may know had to do this?
Yes.

dolphindan1970 said:
It seems the NFL has changed so much since 1970 when I first started watching, it use to be that a player would and could start with and end with the same team. I loved this, because the player really became part of that community could be identified with that team for life, but of course, nowadays, with Free agency the way it is, that only happens very little. My question is, I had seen rumors at 1 time where the NFL was working on a plan for veterans that would possibly not subject them to the cap (or something like that), and make it possible after so many years, to stay with that team and not hurt them financially. What are your thoughts on this, and do you think it will ever happen. Thanks again, Dan
Dan, great question. I think it's a shame that today's system doesn't allow players to spend their entire career with one organization. The salary cap makes it virtually impossible. I think it's essential for the league to come up with some sort of a cap exemption for teams to retain their own free agents (just like in the NBA). Until then, you can't blame the players, the teams, or even those damn agents.:D

Levi said:
welcome,
is your job as an agent to find the players good deals and places to go?
and also, can an NFL player play in the Arena Football in the offseason?
My job as an agent is to help my clients in every way possible. To answer your second question, NFL contracts strictly forbid players from participating in any other football leagues. If an NFL player becomes a free agent and plans on signing another NFL contract, it would be beyond stupidity to risk getting injured playing arena football.

Brett Tessler said:
Dan, great question. I think it's a shame that today's system doesn't allow players to spend their entire career with one organization. The salary cap makes it virtually impossible. I think it's essential for the league to come up with some sort of a cap exemption for teams to retain their own free agents (just like in the NBA). Until then, you can't blame the players, the teams, or even those pesky agents.:D
Thank you Brett, I appreciate it friend! Ever close to Knoxville TN, give me a yell and I will throw ya some killer steaks on a grill ! ;)

Brett Tessler said:
My job as an agent is to help my clients in every way possible. To answer your second question, NFL contracts strictly forbid players from participating in any other football leagues. If an NFL player becomes a free agent and plans on signing another NFL contract, it would be beyond stupidity to risk getting injured playing arena football.
i heard that it also says that in there contracts, they cant practice any othern sport like snowboarding or skiing, because they could risk injury? is that true? because i didnt think it was, but i wouldnt know, i'm only a 14 year old farm boy from Iowa.

Levi said:
do you know any players who dont have an agent?
Very few players are without agents. It's usually a bad idea for a player not to have a buffer between himself and the team.

Here's another question for ya:

Give us your feelings on the "back loaded" contracts that are rarely ever paid by the teams. When a player sits down to sign on the dotted line and he sees the last year of the contract paying 7 million, when the other 3 years are paying 2 or 3 million, does he really think he will see that money? Does signing a back loaded contract provide anything for the player other than a guaranteed renegotiate or trip to the waiver wire?

Thanks again for your time.

Hello Brett,

I do have a couple questions for you..... ;)

1) Is there nothing that Tim Couch can do....? (I mean if a player is under contract and holds out......They get hit will fines....So why can a Team not get hit with a Fine if the player is under contract and the team will not allow him to use the facilities and work out.... :(......!!!!!!!!!!!)

2) Do you think that not having Guaranteed Contracts in the NFL is why players ask for (LOL) 10 year 100 million dollar contracts.......Knowing they might see 2-4 years of the contract if they are lucky....? Do you think the NFL will improve the CAP & Guarantee Contracts within my lifetime..lol.........:)

3) What players do you represent? How did you get started......?

4) Are you close with you players or just another $$$ sign........?

Muck said:
I remember during Alstott's rookie or second year, I saw him and another guy on QVC or Home Shopping Network or something like that. They were on there as guests and were selling some kind of memorabilia (don't recall exactly).

My question is, were you the "other guy"?? :lol:
Yes.

Back
Top Bottom