Ask Brett Tessler | Page 61 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Brett Tessler

Brett, what is your overall opinion of Gene Upshaw and his tenure as head of NFLPA? :tongue:

Also, what do you think of ND Kalu's recent comments about active players putting money into a fund for retired players? What's your take on the current system in place for retired players?

I think Kalu's idea is selfless and refreshing. It's obvious that some of these older guys need major help. In regards to the first part of your question, I think as a whole our union has made great strides but we still have a long way to go.

Hey Brett.
question regarding Daunte's need for an agent

Why won't he get an agent, his ego has obviously gotten to him and i think he needs someone there to cool him down a little bit and give him insight on what he thinks will give daunte the best chance to succeed

Hey Brett.
question regarding Daunte's need for an agent

Why won't he get an agent, his ego has obviously gotten to him and i think he needs someone there to cool him down a little bit and give him insight on what he thinks will give daunte the best chance to succeed

Essentially, you just answered your own question.

Essentially, you just answered your own question.

well in that case, i'll throw another one at you!

What impact do you think the acquisition of Trent Green will have on John Beck and in your opinion will Beck be able to come into the offense in a year and start after this season?

well in that case, i'll throw another one at you!

What impact do you think the acquisition of Trent Green will have on John Beck and in your opinion will Beck be able to come into the offense in a year and start after this season?

I think Green's presence can only help John Beck. He's a respected veteran who approaches everything the right way on and off the field. He also realizes that he's at the end of his career and won't feel threatened by Beck taking over in a year or two. But with all that being said, it still comes down to Beck in the end. I personally believe that a quarterback either has it or they don't and the only way to find out is by throwing them into the water and seeing if they sink or swim.

Brett in an earlier post of yours I read, you said that miami could be viewed as violating the spirit of the intent of the rule by not allowing Daunte to practice with the team. Would you say Daunte as well violated at least the spirit of the rule of not talking to teams without permission, when he publically told teams intrested in him to sit tight until he was released. Im curious if that would be considered in poor taste for an agent to say something like that before a team granted his client permission to negotiate a deal somewhere else?

Brett in an earlier post of yours I read, you said that miami could be viewed as violating the spirit of the intent of the rule by not allowing Daunte to practice with the team. Would you say Daunte as well violated at least the spirit of the rule of not talking to teams without permission, when he publically told teams intrested in him to sit tight until he was released. Im curious if that would be considered in poor taste for an agent to say something like that before a team granted his client permission to negotiate a deal somewhere else?

Simply put, if any team talks to (or about) a player on another team's roster without permission it's tampering. Daunte has handled this situation (as well as his last situation) horribly. I'm sure there are some players in this league smart enough to represent themselves... and Daunte's obviously not one of them.

I think Kalu's idea is selfless and refreshing. It's obvious some of these older guys need major help. In regards to the first part of your question, I think as a whole our union has made great strides but we still have a long way to go.

Amen to that, I worked with a former Ram from the old days in the 50's (John Hock) who could barely walk. He died a few years ago, but never got any care from the NFL, he was the most gentle man, and he was in such pain all the time.

Amen to that, I worked with a former Ram from the old days in the 50's (John Hock) who could barely walk. He died a few years ago, but never got any care from the NFL, he was the most gentle man, and he was in such pain all the time.

I'm very sorry to hear about that. Hopefully he's in a better place now.

Hey Brett, something I've always wondered.

As an agent, if one of your clients wants a trade, does he come to you first? If one of your guys was quite likely to get bad publicity for demanding said trade (i.e. Culpepper last year) would you advise him against it?

Hey Brett, something I've always wondered.

As an agent, if one of your clients wants a trade, does he come to you first? If one of your guys was quite likely to get bad publicity for demanding said trade (i.e. Culpepper last year) would you advise him against it?

Yes, the player comes to me first. It's my job to handle all business affairs between the player and his team and sometimes part of that job is to look like the bad guy when necessary.

Thanks for taking time out to answer our questions.

Besides the extra money, can there be any postives for a player who chooses to hold out during training camp?

Have you ever encouraged any of your players to just take what is being offered a the time and get to camp?

Thanks for your time. :)

Thanks for taking time out to answer our questions.

Besides the extra money, can there be any postives for a player who chooses to hold out during training camp?

Have you ever encouraged any of your players to just take what is being offered a the time and get to camp?

Thanks for your time. :)

There are NO positives to holding out of training camp. It's bad for the team, bad for the player, and should only be done as a last resort.

Brett can you tell me how the leauge finds arbitraitors?
Who hires and fires them? nflpa? owners? other?
who pays them as well?
It would seem to me there is a potential for a conflict of intrest if either party has any influence on the arbitraitor's career.

Brett can you tell me how the leauge finds arbitraitors?
Who hires and fires them? nflpa? owners? other?
who pays them as well?
It would seem to me there is a potential for a conflict of intrest if either party has any influence on the arbitraitor's career.

The arbitrator (currently Roger Kaplan) is somebody who both the Players Association and League Management have agreed upon. They both pay his salary and both have the authority to get rid of him if either party isn't satisfied.

Back
Top Bottom