Assuming We DON'T Get Flynn | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Assuming We DON'T Get Flynn

ac_lanham

The Comeback Kid
Reaction score
This is where I need the scouts such as CK and KB21 to chime in. Assuming we can't or don't make a deal for Matt Flynn, what options do we have as far as quarterbacks go, for the West Coast Offense?

First and foremost, Matt Moore. Do you guys think he can succeed? I'm just a casual fan and haven't done any in-depth scouting or anything, but based on watching all of the games this year, I personally haven't been impressed with the accuracy of his short and intermediate passes. Isn't the short passing game a staple of the WCO? How do you think he would fit in with the scheme, assuming that is the offense we implement? What about Chad Henne? Can this offense work for him? Pat Devlin?

In the draft, what are our options? Would RG3 be a good fit for the WCO, if we can make a bold move (not likely) and get him? What about Tannehill from Texas A&M? Do you think he could succeed? Any other draft options or sleepers that could be successful if coached up properly?

What are our FA options outside of Flynn? Pretty slim pickings obviously, but could we find another Matt Moore type player who turns out to be pretty good?

I just want to hear from people who know more than me about this style of offense and the potential pieces. Have at it!

I like Matt Moore and would prefer to add 2 more quality OL's (draft or F.A.) and more talent on D.

When we (or any team) pressure the passer, the passer doesn't look all-world. Evidence the first half against N.E. where we sacked Brady 3 times and hit him and deflected passes... oh... and led 21-0. Inexplicably, we didn't blitz or press up on the receivers in the 2nd half and he picked us apart - like he would any secondary that has to cover for 4-6 seconds.

The thing I'd REALLY like to see us do is trade back, then trade back again, then again, and get more 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc... picks like N.E. does every year and the Redskins did last year. At 8 or 9 we get no impact player. We trade back for an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick (depending upon how far back) and we get more top-shelf players. PLEASE trade back to middle then again to back of first round... PLEASE :-(

I don't see any FA QB's outside of Flynn who would be especially good in the west coast offense. The two things you really need with that system are accuracy and quick decision making. I don't generally associate that with guys like Moore, Henne, Campbell, etc...

Maybe Orton would be a decent fit, though I didn't watch him at all this past season to see how he played.

We really need to get Flynn, since he knows the system, and is accurate.

Now here is an interesting thought... In the WCO, receivers need to have good hands, and good route running. Those are Hartline's strong suites. It makes me wonder if he will be a bigger part of our offense in the future. Bess as well.

If we dont get flynn, it probly means Cleveland or Washington did. Henceforth, better position to get RGIII.

I like Matt Moore and would prefer to add 2 more quality OL's (draft or F.A.) and more talent on D.

When we (or any team) pressure the passer, the passer doesn't look all-world. Evidence the first half against N.E. where we sacked Brady 3 times and hit him and deflected passes... oh... and led 21-0. Inexplicably, we didn't blitz or press up on the receivers in the 2nd half and he picked us apart - like he would any secondary that has to cover for 4-6 seconds.

The thing I'd REALLY like to see us do is trade back, then trade back again, then again, and get more 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc... picks like N.E. does every year and the Redskins did last year. At 8 or 9 we get no impact player. We trade back for an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick (depending upon how far back) and we get more top-shelf players. PLEASE trade back to middle then again to back of first round... PLEASE :-(

I like the idea of trading down, but you also have to remember that there has to be a willing dance partner. But I agree, we should stockpile picks if the opportunity presents itself.

I think Weeden in the 2nd round could really excel in the WCO. He played in the passing spread in college which is all about timing and the route tree that receivers run are actually similar to that of the WCO. Lots of slants, posts, deep outs, go routes etc. I know Weeden is 28, but if we sign Peyton in the off season - then go Riley Reiff or Kendall Wright in the 1st, followed by Weeden in the 2nd I think that'd be a home run.

I think we have to get Flynn, he is the best QB out there that wont have a huge price to pay (i.e. draft picks or player trades). Im sure he will demand some money, but Philbin knows him very well and he will be the guy to determine if he's worth it......or even worth going after at all. And I would think that Flynn would favor the Dolphins because of his relationship with Philbin, he might even take less money to play for him.

I don't see the love affair with Flynn. He was still throwing to Packer receivers. I look at him like Jay Fiedler or Kevin Kolb or Matt Cassell. Basically, I don't think he's the second coming. I think Moore was pretty decent and got better each game. Now, if we were talking Luck or RGIII, then it'd be a no-brainer but we have what we have and getting Flynn guarantees nothing on this team.

BTW, there will be willing trade partners. Take what you can get. No guarantees at any pick but the more picks you have, the better the chance you have at striking gold.

I don't see the love affair with Flynn. He was still throwing to Packer receivers. I look at him like Jay Fiedler or Kevin Kolb or Matt Cassell. Basically, I don't think he's the second coming. I think Moore was pretty decent and got better each game. Now, if we were talking Luck or RGIII, then it'd be a no-brainer but we have what we have and getting Flynn guarantees nothing on this team.

BTW, there will be willing trade partners. Take what you can get. No guarantees at any pick but the more picks you have, the better the chance you have at striking gold.

Now I DO understand this thinking, but I do have a question for you. If Flynn is just a system QB, and benifited from the Packers receivers, then how come neither Rodgers or Favre have ever put up 6 TDs in a single game like Flynn did? Weren't they throwing to the same receivers? Are you saying you wouldn't take Rodgers because of Green Bay's receivers?

Now I DO understand this thinking, but I do have a question for you. If Flynn is just a system QB, and benifited from the Packers receivers, then how come neither Rodgers or Favre have ever put up 6 TDs in a single game like Flynn did? Weren't they throwing to the same receivers? Are you saying you wouldn't take Rodgers because of Green Bay's receivers?

No, I'm saying I'd take Rogers because he's the best Quaterback in the league... period.

Are you seriously looking at one game where the stars line up and assume he's that great?

Question: What QB completed 30 passes for 416 yards and two touchdowns and rushed for 59 yards and one TD in week one of this season only to see his team lose by 14 ponts?(no it wasn't Michael Vick or Cam Newton)

Now here is an interesting thought... In the WCO, receivers need to have good hands, and good route running. Those are Hartline's strong suites. It makes me wonder if he will be a bigger part of our offense in the future. Bess as well.
If Hartline could become our Jordy Nelson, OMG that would be sweet. Very good point about Hartline and could very well turn out in Hartline's favor.

you can forget about brian hartline ever becoming jordy nelson...forget about it it's not happening

AC:

i would like to offer you some advice.

all this information is out there on nfl sites. i suggest for your own growth [and fun factor] is to sit and ask yourself, what do i want in a qb for miami? whos out there? then go to the nfl and or draft sites and get the list of f/a or possibly to be f/a qb's.

then research the guys your interested in. look at their stats from the teams they were on. where were they drafted, what school, were they productive in college, were they big talent or system dependant piece of the puzzle? what was there situation on there pro team? backup? starter? were there shortcomings because of the folks around them or deficient in ther skills. do there skills fit our offense? injury bug? age, etc..... its all out there and EASY to find.

thats ALL you can do AC. thats all ANY of us can do. you asked for their input becuase you want to find out whats "best" for a qb of the finz. well, what do YOU think? develope that. because in the end, are YOU not the one who needs to be comfortable with who your rooting for. so it shouldnt matter what ck, kb, me , finboyflinky9000 or anyone else thinks.

how do you think those guys and myself and many others get their OPINIONS? research. watching games. reading. it doesnt mean dont read other guys stuff. i read pretty much all other guys stuff. thats the fun of a board. but you get to a point after a while of getting into the draft and personel that other folks opinions on who is best for this or that isnt a factor. your confident and knowlegable enough that your own OPINION is as good or sometimes better than anyone elses out there.

and that is a better feeling of being sure in your knowledge rather than depending or waiting on others to supply yours.

and like i said, the fun factor is off the charts when you really start getting into it.

if you want to ask your favorite board guys things, at this point ask about how they come up with their stuff and where to start, how they "scout". get some pointers and go for it!!

these opinions and or "knowledge" dont just magically pop up in there heads, they get ther opionions the SAME WAY, reading and research. and ANYONE can do that.

and soon, some dude will be asking, "hey AC, what do you think about....."!!

nobody "knows". nobody has a cant miss "insider or source". like all info, no matter where it comes from other than the subject at hands mouth, is a GUESS!! AN OPINION!! everything from this weeks coaching circus should have shown you that. how many nfl guys were DEAD WRONG? how many guys on this site reported in on ther CANT MISS INSIDER/SOURCE that it was this guy or that guy. done deals!!!! woops.

and yours is a good as anyone elses. BETTER actually, because it will be YOURS!!

Back
Top Bottom