At this Time Last Year.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

At this Time Last Year....

Disnardo

Premium Member
Reaction score
We had lost to NE, we lost a chance for a division lead/tie, and needed to win our next game against the Eagles for ensuring a Wild Card Play-off spot. Well it was a "Shoot Out" game, and as all know we lost. We had to endure the next to last game of the season to confirm our WC spot was gone. What an agonizing end IMO to the year, my Play-offs tickects would serve as a security deposit for 2004 Season Ticket... :cry:

At this time 2 years ago, our team needed to win 2 of the last 3 games. A very beatable NE team (8-5 at the time), and very...very beatable Vikings' team (3-10 at the time). We all know the story....

My point its that it really $**ks to loose, but I have endured this season better than the last 2. We have had our 8-5 team with 3 games left in the season (last 2 years) and chocking, for what ever reason, when the season is on the line.

This year it has been easier to understand, with all the team problems, bad omen, what ever you would call it. After the first 4 games, I became numb to the losses and looked for the positives from each defeat as consolation.

Maybe I am being harsh and not logical when I say this... I blame these (02-03) looses on our veterans. Those same players that play "lights out" and perform in the beginning of the season, and are not consistant enough, failing to show up at the end.

At this Time Last Year... I sensed that this team was going "No Were Again"...

So my question is, how will our new leadership address our vets with these issues?

Part of it was coaching, IMO. They lacked the mental toughness needed to win down the stretch. They needed someone who could help them find it. Last season's team wasn't really good enough for the playoffs anyway. But the 02 team had Super Bowl potential. That was the most disappointing season in recent memory.

Disnardo said:
We had lost to NE, we lost a chance for a division lead/tie, and needed to win our next game against the Eagles for ensuring a Wild Card Play-off spot. Well it was a "Shoot Out" game, and as all know we lost. We had to endure the next to last game of the season to confirm our WC spot was gone. What an agonizing end IMO to the year, my Play-offs tickects would serve as a security deposit for 2004 Season Ticket... :cry:

At this time 2 years ago, our team needed to win 2 of the last 3 games. A very beatable NE team (8-5 at the time), and very...very beatable Vikings' team (3-10 at the time). We all know the story....

My point its that it really $**ks to loose, but I have endured this season better than the last 2. We have had our 8-5 team with 3 games left in the season (last 2 years) and chocking, for what ever reason, when the season is on the line.

This year it has been easier to understand, with all the team problems, bad omen, what ever you would call it. After the first 4 games, I became numb to the losses and looked for the positives from each defeat as consolation.

Maybe I am being harsh and not logical when I say this... I blame these (02-03) looses on our veterans. Those same players that play "lights out" and perform in the beginning of the season, and are not consistant enough, failing to show up at the end.

At this Time Last Year... I sensed that this team was going "No Were Again"...

So my question is, how will our new leadership address our vets with these issues?
another excellent thread (2nd to my "marino is not a monster" thread wooHOO!)...

as for losing, for me, it hurt more last year and the year before that. this year, its like, "okay, we lost, whats for dinner?"

first think of what the vet is supposed to do for your team. really nothing different than the young guys. i cant blame the vets or the young guys for the dolphins being mishandled. if anything, some vets can get " comfortable" losing and then ***** about it afterwards. some vets rely on luck. what a crock of disillusionment. if its about luck, lets put some real ladies out there to win for us.
the reason why most of these vets are losers each year is because the wrong guys are addressing the team's needs, hiring the wrong player personnel and bringing in coaches on the buddy system. evaluation of talent.
yet, there are some talented evaluators of talent out there who are still losing year in and year out. maybe the problem here is that we fall in love with BIG NAMES and not necessarily the right fit for each team.

i would like this team to win a Superbowl within four years, period. we have hit rock bottom. i dont have any answers. we all have answers but which of them is the right one(s)? so, i cant blame it on the vets although in our case, right now, we do need an overhaul. we are not a player or two away from the superbowl which is how we always saw it while neglecting to address our offensive line, these past three or so years. we come close to grabbing a lineman and instead we come out with a boston or a seau, neither of which, we need, foremost.
we are blessed with the young talent we have on this club. its a great start for something magnanimous. just give them to the right guy(s) and we are sure to move forward.

muscle979 said:
Part of it was coaching, IMO. They lacked the mental toughness needed to win down the stretch. They needed someone who could help them find it. Last season's team wasn't really good enough for the playoffs anyway. But the 02 team had Super Bowl potential. That was the most disappointing season in recent memory.
I don't know if you would call missing like 15 or more tackles in the Eagles game a coaching issue. The players were place at the right place by the game plan and play calling, the players plainly lacked the execution... period...

This goes for both the NE and Min game of 02, and the NE and Eagles game in 03...

Plus we have the hope of a brand new coaching staff/offense. That helps to ease the pain a bit.

Disnardo said:
I don't know if you would call missing like 15 or more tackles in the Eagles game a coaching issue. The players were place at the right place by the game plan and play calling, the players plainly lacked the execution... period...

This goes for both the NE and Min game of 02, and the NE and Eagles game in 03...
in the name of discipline it is a coaches lack of something or another. can think of two or three words.

miamirw said:
Plus we have the hope of a brand new coaching staff/offense. That helps to ease the pain a bit.
Yup that's what makes losing easier for me.

Disnardo said:

Then what would you call it?? What are the coaches for?? If players are executing that badly it has to have something to do with their practicing and their coaching.

Back
Top Bottom