At what point do we blame the WR's for their play & less on Ireland | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

At what point do we blame the WR's for their play & less on Ireland

Some of these guys just aren't good enough to play in the NFL. Do you blame them for not having the ability, or do you blame the GM for not recognizing that they lack the ability?

Sorry, but I can't blame a leopard for having spots. Ireland does deserve criticism for the state of the roster, period.

Most people who defend Ireland feel like they are arguing the shape of the world with everyone. What they don't realize is it's a spherical shape.

Far too many high draft picks on linemen and not enough on skill positions. Play makers win games in the NFL these days not solid O-linemen. Our drafting is so far behind what the great teams do its pathetic. Look at Pittsburgh, they consistently draft good players, develop them, and then replace them with good players when their due for a huge contract.

I dont think we had the money to sign any of the big FA WRs. I know we are tight on money so it was keep Solai or sign V.Jax. As for the draft I could see us taking a WR opposed to J.Martin, but then we have the gaping hole at RT and with a Rookie QB the last thing you want is another Marc Colombo. I do question taking Egnew over a WR as Fasano has been good but I too was one who felt a TE was needed and was rooting for a replacement TE for Fasano. There were better options but hopefully with Bush, Thomas and Miller we can get some good catches and help spread the field a bit more. I do hope there are some WRs who are cut and we can pick up because I have lost all hope in Nanee and Wallace.

I see no reason to blame Ireland there are a lot of acorns yet to look under!

I dont think we had the money to sign any of the big FA WRs. I know we are tight on money so it was keep Solai or sign V.Jax. As for the draft I could see us taking a WR opposed to J.Martin, but then we have the gaping hole at RT and with a Rookie QB the last thing you want is another Marc Colombo. I do question taking Egnew over a WR as Fasano has been good but I too was one who felt a TE was needed and was rooting for a replacement TE for Fasano. There were better options but hopefully with Bush, Thomas and Miller we can get some good catches and help spread the field a bit more. I do hope there are some WRs who are cut and we can pick up because I have lost all hope in Nanee and Wallace.

The problem goes back to having bad drafts in the 2 most important rounds of the draft (2nd and 3rd). If Ireland had a better track record in those rounds we would have more guys making less because they are on their rookie contracts and wouldn't have to dish out big dollars for FA's like Marshall and Dansby to constantly tie up money under our cap. You pay those big contracts when you have young viable players at positions and you just need that big named FA to seal the deal. The fact that we are so up against the cap to where we can't sign a big named skill player, yet still have numerous holes on the team is a direct reflection to how we have drafted since the Trifecta came here . . . and that is piss poor to say the least.

The highest drafted WR on the roster was a 4th.

Why exactly would you expect them to step up?

Gary Stevens, they are singing your song....

You trade your only decent receiver, knowing you have nothing behind him and that you wont be able to find a receiver in free agency. That = NO PLAN, NO INTENTION TO COMPETE THIS YEAR

It is crazy. You watch other teams and they're WR seem to make catches that are routine. You throw a ball to Fasano and it looks like he's trying to catch an axe. He should be the next one to go in my opinion.

Dont blame Ireland. Blame the WRs that he signed. Classic FH logic.

Good points all OP.

But, let's look at it another way. If I'm Philbin before the draft, I consult with Ireland a ton, letting him know what our priorities are for the new system I want to develop. In March, those priorities were probably something like this . . .

1. A potential starting QB for the future
2. Shore up the right side of the offensive line
3. Need at least one more good defensive lineman for the 4-3 we want to run
4. Get us WRs or TEs who are coachable and have good hands

Beyond those priorities, take players that appear too good to pass up when our picks comes up.

Given those priorities, and your points concerning what was actually available in the draft and free agency, it could be that Ireland has done what's best for the team. I think that remains to be seen, though.

I hate saying wait till next year, but i think that what we all have to do, because at this point its too late to fix this WR core

I can't see how we can place blame on Sparano, Tuna, and the players without considering Ireland's role with our team. If he hasn't always had some level of input since he's been here then wth is he doing here, collecting a free check?

Back
Top Bottom