At what point do we start worrying about Minkah?? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

At what point do we start worrying about Minkah??

If he can't grasp the FS spot then I'm concerned.

While the new base is the nickel formation, it's a bummer if that's all he'll ever be.
Add in complaining from him and his mom, not a great look.

Never, ever compare yourself or your job to NFL players. The moment you do that, you're not to be taken seriously. It shows a complete lack of understanding of these players and the importance of coaching.

Never, ever compare yourself or your job to NFL players. The moment you do that, you're not to be taken seriously. It shows a complete lack of understanding of these players and the importance of coaching.
People do it all the time too. It’s annoying as ****.

The problem with Minkah, is exactly what I’ve been saying for ever and getting drummed for it. He’s not a free safety. He’s not great in space. The further he is from the LOS the more he struggles. I can see this playing out that this experiment doesn’t work and next year he’s moved to boundary corner to try that. Hope I’m wrong. But I don’t see it.

He learned that at Bama......he gets away with it there.

Well, 4 of the top 30 players in the NFL in terms of passes defended and interceptions through week 1 were former Alabama defenders. The problem in Miami isn't Minkah Fitzpatrick or where he played college football. Minkah can play, he's already proven that.

But there is a reason nobody wants to play or coach in the pathetic organization known as the Miami Dolphins. They've jerked this kid around from day 1. I think he wants out and I'd just about bet no other players in Tuscaloosa want to be a part of it either. He knows the goal isn't to win, and he knows they don't know how to win even if they wanted to. He's just going about it the wrong way.

Well, 4 of the top 30 players in the NFL in terms of passes defended and interceptions through week 1 were former Alabama defenders. The problem in Miami isn't Minkah Fitzpatrick or where he played college football. Minkah can play, he's already proven that.

But there is a reason nobody wants to play or coach in the pathetic organization known as the Miami Dolphins. They've jerked this kid around from day 1. I think he wants out and I'd just about bet no other players in Tuscaloosa want to be a part of it either. He knows the goal isn't to win, and he knows they don't know how to win even if they wanted to. He's just going about it the wrong way.
Where would you play him? Not trying to be snarky...honestly curious as I thought he would be an ideal chess piece to move around based on what the offense is trying to do against us that week. That may have been a poor take and he needs a home.

Where would you play him? Not trying to be snarky...honestly curious as I thought he would be an ideal chess piece to move around based on what the offense is trying to do against us that week. That may have been a poor take and he needs a home.
That’s a reasonable take if the defense is of sound talent and well drilled. That role can take a reasonable defense to the next level but he cannot perform that role when the rest of the secondary and linebackers are largely clueless and falling apart. You need the cake before you try and apply the frosting.

You are right in a lot of respects. The physical part has few comparisons.

In otger respects, I would disagree. Human nature trancends occupations. There are whiners in all walks of life, and too much of it is detrimental to not only the immediate task at hand, but also to the overall morall of a group, in general.

Not comparing the two, but to give an example.

No one can argue Terell Owens' talent, or drive to win, but he was always an overall negative to the teams he played for.

That’s a reasonable take if the defense is of sound talent and well drilled. That role can take a reasonable defense to the next level but he cannot perform that role when the rest of the secondary and linebackers are largely clueless and falling apart. You need the cake before you try and apply the frosting.
solid insight

Minkah was always considered a bit of a bitch-ass here in Bama. I thought he was smart and athletic enough to be a decent NFL safety, but he always has lacked a bit of fluidity, his hips were always a concern, and his top-end speed was not nearly elite. He is a good football player when surrounded by a lot of other good football players, but he isn't a lone wolf. He would be a great nickel for a team like New England. Here he will struggle because the team is a wreck, the coaches are in over their head, and he isn't special enough to get it done in spite of all that. Derwin James' ceiling was always far higher and it was laughable to draft just another system guy from Bama over a transcendent type talent. I expect his time here will be short lived and we will trade him, you can't as a 2nd year player, who keeps getting raped on the field, who had to have his momma defend him, suggest that the defensive coaches weren't putting the defense in the best positions. Flores is a moron, but he isn't soft, I am sure he would love to deliver some old school brooklyn beat down to ole soft-serve ice cream Minkah.

And yes you should have been concerned the moment a person of the capacity of Grier was promoted to that position. He aint it man, and trust me I root for all African-American coaches and GM because I know the struggle. but real knows real and Minkah cant be it here, and Grier will never be it.

Moving a player around out of creativity, and moving a player around out of necessity are two different things. It's essentially just playing whack-a-mole with your defense.

Minkah's entire point was he has to prepare his body year round for a specific role. He wants to see coaches that have a plan for him besides playing whack-a-mole every week. That's not a plan.

Now criticism towards Minkah is fine, I'll criticize him just like anybody else when it's deserved. He's playing like garbage. But this is not how he plays.

My personal sense is I would put Minkah at free safety. There seems to be some posts that he's slow. I didn't look up his 40 but my recollection is it's just fine. I think he's a fine athlete, a playmaker, and a smart player.

The middle of the field was a disaster. Inexplicable. I was open minded when they moved McCain to free safety although it seemed like an odd move.

Having seen it, I trust my instincts more than what the coaches did. I'd keep McCain at slot and Minkah at free. You can move him around like a chess piece but I think that not only is he an athletic fit at free safety, he may be able to make calls back there and he's a bright guy by all accounts. I would empower Minkah. Free safety makes a lot more sense to me than slot corner. I am not a professional coach but I've seen enough football, and this is what I envisioned for him all along.

My personal sense is I would put Minkah at free safety. There seems to be some posts that he's slow. I didn't look up his 40 but my recollection is it's just fine. I think he's a fine athlete, a playmaker, and a smart player.

The middle of the field was a disaster. Inexplicable. I was open minded when they moved McCain to free safety although it seemed like an odd move.

Having seen it, I trust my instincts more than what the coaches did. I'd keep McCain at slot and Minkah at free. You can move him around like a chess piece but I think that not only is he an athletic fit at free safety, he may be able to make calls back there and he's a bright guy by all accounts. I would empower Minkah. Free safety makes a lot more sense to me than slot corner. I am not a professional coach but I've seen enough football, and this is what I envisioned for him all along.
He's plenty fast enough to play FS (combine 4.47 40 time if you're into that)... He's fast enough to put on the boundary...he held his own in limited action there last year.

Back
Top Bottom