Away with the Pundits! Owning #2 Pick Turning Into A Benefit | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Away with the Pundits! Owning #2 Pick Turning Into A Benefit

Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
Roughly a month ago, several NFL writers and pundits were proclaiming this one of the worst years for holding a high draft pick because there were no superstars in the draft.

However, as the workouts come in, teams and draft followers are beginning to realize that these players have a great deal of talent. The last two days of QB workouts have really helped the top of the draft. Separating the two still appears difficult. Everyone jumped on the Smith bandwagon when they read Gil Brandt's glowing description. But, Rodgers proved to be exceptional as well.

Consider this quote about Rodgers: "He did extremely well," 49ers' head coach Mike Nolan told the Mercury News. "He's very accurate and has a very strong arm. Just by what I have seen on film and watching him out here today, Aaron is about as polished a quarterback as I've seen." Saban also had good things to say about both QB's. This point is not to argue the Dolphins should take a QB, but to note that there is value at that position.

It may be that this is posturing by both coaches in an attempt to trade down and obtain more picks. However, the reports that so many were impressed with these guys, even those who don't have a dog in the fight, would indicate otherwise.

The bottom-line is, the top two picks have clear value as they stand. This is regardless of team needs. Whether it be one of the two QB's, one of the three RB's, or perhaps Braylon Edwards (depending, in part on his workout), these choices should bring value to the selecting team. Mike Williams may enter the mix as well, though he is more of a longshot to jump into the top two.

Let's just leave aside Derrick Johnson, shall we. Regardless of what his fans say, he is not and will not be a top two selection. It would be a major reach at that point. Those who continue to proclaim that are ignorant or in denial.

For Saban, this is good and bad news. The bad news is, he will have a tough time determining who to select at this spot. There will likely be a good deal of debate within the organization and he will need to balance need with value. That's also the good news, in that there is going to be someone worthwhile to choose at the #2 spot.

As for trading down, it's also good news / bad news. The good news is that Saban should get more value for a trade down than most suspected. Especially if someone gets hot for one of the QB's. If he doesn't get good offers, then he can go with a top player. The bad news part is that if he trades down, he may miss out on a top QB or other player of great value.

Whatever the outcome, Saban is sitting better than most believed several weeks ago - when many thought he'd be stuck at #2 and no players that would excite someone at that position. As things unfold, this is not the case.

Good news for coach Saban and the Dolphin fans.

I agree that there were alot of people that said this was a "bad" year to have a number two, but no matter what year it's ALWAYS good to have a top 5 draft pick. The only bad thing about it is that it usuallyy means you have a horrible season before...either that or you got itin a trade. Otherwise there are no drawbacks to having a top 5...especially a top 2 pick. It leaves a world of options open.

This is not a bad year by far. There are a bunch of guys worthy of the #2 pick. Now the hard part is trying to choose one of them.

The same thing happens every year.Lukewarm reviews until the combines and personal workouts then the hype kicks in.Last year Rivers was a second rounder until it came close to the draft.

IMO we will have candidates for a tradedown if that is the way Saban wants to go.

I just hope if we trade down we can still end up with a top RB. If we end the first round without a RB or QB I will be disapointed.

At first I was getting bummed out with the draft, I was thinking it was just our stinking luck that we now have the 2nd overall and there was no legitimate superstar in the draft. but lately since the combine, it is looking good! I am excited as hell to take any of these guys:
Aaron Rodgers
Alex Smith
Cedric Benson
Ronnie Brown
Braylon Edwards
Cadillac Williams
Mike Williams
I just hope we dont trade down too far so that we dont miss any of these players.
anybody know when Cedric B. is scheduled for a workout? Curious about his time in the 40

You were doing good until you got to this part....

"Let's just leave aside Derrick Johnson, shall we. Regardless of what his fans say, he is not and will not be a top two selection. It would be a major reach at that point. Those who continue to proclaim that are ignorant or in denial."

I didn't read anything after that because I know that Cleveland is seriously considering him at #3. Now I'm not saying that he'll definitely be a top 2 or even a top 5 pick but, you're wrong if you think he's a major reach.

finsfan4life said:
You were doing good until you got to this part....

"Let's just leave aside Derrick Johnson, shall we. Regardless of what his fans say, he is not and will not be a top two selection. It would be a major reach at that point. Those who continue to proclaim that are ignorant or in denial."

I didn't read anything after that because I know that Cleveland is seriously considering him at #3. Now I'm not saying that he'll definitely be a top 2 or even a top 5 pick but, you're wrong if you think he's a major reach.

Didn't read anything after that?

Agree or disagree about Johnson - it has nothing to do with the validity or non-validity of the points made post that comment - Your position demonstrates a bias, rather than a fair and full appraisal.

My point on Johnson is not whether someone will pick him in the top 5. But, as the 2nd pick in the draft, it is my opinion that he is a reach. Simply because team X is willing to pick him there, doesn't mean he isn't a reach. I also don't think you can say that Cleveland is seriously considering taking him there any more than you can conclude Miami is considering taking one of the QB's or Ronnie Brown! You just don't know that. There is WAY too much water to go under the bridge. They may be investigating him b/c of a need at LB, but he's still a reach if they pick him at #3.

For us, it would not be a good pick, imo.

Da 'Fins said:
Didn't read anything after that?

Agree or disagree about Johnson - it has nothing to do with the validity or non-validity of the points made post that comment - Your position demonstrates a bias, rather than a fair and full appraisal.

My point on Johnson is not whether someone will pick him in the top 5. But, as the 2nd pick in the draft, it is my opinion that he is a reach. Simply because team X is willing to pick him there, doesn't mean he isn't a reach. I also don't think you can say that Cleveland is seriously considering taking him there any more than you can conclude Miami is considering taking one of the QB's or Ronnie Brown! You just don't know that.

So if I agree or disagree with you it shows I'm biased but, if you disagree with me on Johnson I'm "ignorant or in denial?"

I got the Browns considering drafting Johnson at #3 thing from John Clayton and yes, I do think that he knows that.

finsfan4life said:
So if I agree or disagree with you it shows I'm biased but, if you disagree with me on Johnson I'm "ignorant or in denial?"

I got the Browns considering drafting Johnson at #3 thing from John Clayton and yes, I do think that he knows that.

You obviously missed the point, completely. Okay, let me slow down for you ...

What I am saying is that the points "after" the Johnson comment had nothing to do with Johnson. So, whether you agree or disagree with my Johnson comment - should not impact the validity of my comments after Johnson. Nor should your disagreement with that cause you to dismiss everything said after that.

Your reaction is essentially, "Oh, you said this about topic X, and I think that's wrong! So, I'm not about to listen any point about topic Y - it MUST be invalid." Does the fact that you are wrong on a lot of topics invalidate everything you say? That's where your logic will lead you.

Does that help you understand?

Now, onto DJ (an entirely separate topic) - I don't dispute what John Clayton is reporting. Nor that this has been thrown out by Cleveland. What I'm saying is:

a) What Cleveland says today doesn't really mean much - since it's way too early. So, whatever the interest, I think Cleveland will be doing a lot more investigating of DJ and other players that may change their position dramatically.

b) Regardless of whether DJ is selected by Cleveland, he would be a reach at #2, imo, given the talent level above him, his deficiencies shown at the college level in taking on bigger players (which makes him less flexible) and needs at other positions. I also think that he is a straight 4-3 LB and would not fit well into a 3-4, when we switch to that on occasion. Of course, I realize he may become a great player. But, having watched him for a number of years (I'm a fan of UT), he and Benson were "hyped" by the media more than their actual talent level. They are both top 10 talents. But, guys like that great draft guru, Brent Musberger, would make it sound like they were going to be all-world players in the NFL.

dolphin23 said:
At first I was getting bummed out with the draft, I was thinking it was just our stinking luck that we now have the 2nd overall and there was no legitimate superstar in the draft. but lately since the combine, it is looking good! I am excited as hell to take any of these guys:
Aaron Rodgers
Alex Smith
Cedric Benson
Ronnie Brown
Braylon Edwards
Cadillac Williams
Mike Williams
I just hope we dont trade down too far so that we dont miss any of these players.
anybody know when Cedric B. is scheduled for a workout? Curious about his time in the 40

I would take care of them and be really really happy.

Back
Top Bottom