Ayanbadejo: Dolphins Questioned my Commitment after I put Family First | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ayanbadejo: Dolphins Questioned my Commitment after I put Family First

LouPhinFan

It's ok to say "I don't know".
Club Member
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...an-dolphins-traded-after-daughter-born-040414

While in training camp with the Miami Dolphins and anticipating her birth, I, along with the rest of my family, was on high alert the days before our daughter arrived. Dutifully, I let Nick Saban, my coach at the time, know we were expecting.

He made it clear that he expected me to be around and not miss any practice for this special moment for my family. I made it clear that I was going to miss as much time as it took for me to be there in support of my wife and my newborn child.

To complicate matters, my wife was bedridden due to a cesarean section so she needed my assistance.

On Aug. 28, my phone began ringing relatively late at night. First, a number popped up from the Dolphins’ facility and then numbers were popping up from Lake Forest, Ill. I knew something was up. I was afraid I was cut.

Five days after the birth of my child, I found out that I was traded to the Chicago Bears. Due to the timing of the circumstances, it was a nightmare. But in retrospect, it was clearly one of the best things that happened to my football career.

As I left Miami, I had more questions than answers. Did Saban ship me off because I put my family before football? Did the team question my desire to be a Dolphin because of my life priorities?

So, despite the fact that I do believe that the Dolphins — or certainly Saban at least — questioned my desire to be a Dolphin due to the priority I placed on family, family always has and always will come first.

Looking back this sounds about right for Nick Saban. He was used to controlling his players like college players and that's why he never was comfortable coaching at Miami. It happens to coaches. Bobby Petrino was the same way. He controls his college players in the same fashion that Saban does and you can't do that in the NFL.

Nick Saban is a fantastic coach, but is also a terrible human being who only cares about football.

I still dislike Saban, and love seeing him get ripped, but at the same time I question Ayanbadejo's motive here. With the Daniel Murphy situation, it almost seems like a "Hey look at me" type column.

Again though, still love seeing Saban rippied.

He's a fantastic college coach, where he can control boys who don't yet know they are men.

He's a terrible NFL coach.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...an-dolphins-traded-after-daughter-born-040414

Looking back this sounds about right for Nick Saban. He was used to controlling his players like college players and that's why he never was comfortable coaching at Miami. It happens to coaches. Bobby Petrino was the same way. He controls his college players in the same fashion that Saban does and you can't do that in the NFL.

It's crazy to me how much time NFL teams -- not just the Dolphins -- spend on these small potatoes. I mean, Ayenbadejo was a ST linebacker. His job basically involved running at people at full speed and putting his shoulder into their head. But yeah, let's throw a hissy fit when he misses a few days of practice so he can be there for the birth of his child, because putting shoulder-to-head takes weeks to perfect. I mean, seriously. How much of an impact does him missing a few days have on your team? Is it going to mean the difference of a single point in a single game?

I think NFL coaches and front office people micromanage because they don't know what else to do, but if they had a better sense of how much more important certain decisions are than others, they wouldn't waste so much time on this kind of silly crap.

for the most part no team gives a damn about their players they are just employees its not a dolphin thing its an NFL thing and to a greater extent just how life works

He should consider himself fortunate... at least he didn't make him cry like Manny Wright or treat him either like crap and/or disrespectfully as an inanimate prop like he did many of the FO administrative personnel.

He should consider himself fortunate... at least he didn't make him cry like Manny Wright or treat him either like crap and/or disrespectfully as an inanimate prop like he did many of the FO administrative personnel.

None of that matters cause he's a great coach for Alabama.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

None of that matters cause he's a great coach for Alabama.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

He is a great coach period, he just didn't get along with ownership here and moved on. Im sure we all have worked for people we didn't like then moved on.

Nick Saban is a fantastic coach, but is also a terrible human being who only cares about football.

The world is overrun with "successful" people like Nick Saban. I work for one… and let me tell you… it's no picnic for them, either. The catch is… they don't realize the price (their humanity) that they're paying for their relentless "drive" and "commitment". The whole "puritanical work ethic" in this country, in particular, is totally FUBAR. The rest of the world just laughs at us. Even the Germans - who are workaholics and punctuality Nazis - they laugh their asses off at how stupid we are that we don't understand that you WORK to LIVE… and not the other way around. There's a concept called "filling the well"… that's what weekends are for… vacations… etc. In this country… fewer and fewer of us are "filling the well"… and we wonder why we lead the world in cancer rates/deaths… oh, yes… "We're #1!"

There is another side of the story here....did Ayanbadejo let the team know he was leaving? did he tell them when he was returning? He said he made it clear he was going to miss as much time as he wanted after being told not to....and then he left for 5 days. I have no problem with Saban trading him.

There is another side of the story here....did Ayanbadejo let the team know he was leaving? did he tell them when he was returning? He said he made it clear he was going to miss as much time as he wanted after being told not to....and then he left for 5 days. I have no problem with Saban trading him.

Did you read the story? He let it be known that he was going to leave to be with his wife when she had the child.

Let me guess, you're probably one of these cavemen like Boomer wondering why he just didn't have his wife schedule a c-section for before the start of training camp.

Back
Top Bottom