Back in 9/2019 I asked if you'd be mad if this is how the draft went. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Back in 9/2019 I asked if you'd be mad if this is how the draft went.

Russ57

Active Roster
Reaction score
IMHO our offensive line has been something that has really held the team back. So how would you feel if they went all in on the OL in the 2020 draft? Don't worry about the names I mention, just the general concept.

1) Tau (QB)
20) Tristan Wirfs/Calvin Throckmorton (RT) Versatility to play multiple positions. Had to guess on where Texans and Steelers picks will fall.
21) Tyler Biadasz (OC) Don't normally like to pick a center so high but this guy is good.
33) Bryce Hall (CB) Flores threatens suicide if he has to start Rowe opposite X.
61) Ben Bredeson/Alex Leatherwood (OG) We need at least one OG, maybe two as I'm not sold on Dieter.
65) D'Andre Swift (RB) I value a stud RB. Other than center and QB he could touch the ball more than any other offensive player. Should help a young QB a lot. Drake is gone and Ballage isn't the answer. We need a solid 3 down back who can run, catch, and pick up the blitz. Maybe this guy isn't the right guy but someone should be there as it is a good year for RB's

We still have a lot of money so we could buy a LT/LG if necessary. Ditto on edge guys but I have some hope for Tank. Jenkins and Nkemdiche could have us set at DT.
Grab a free safety later on (or a FA), move McCain back to nickle and the secondary could be good. Jones is still a good SS and too costly to cut. And of course Rome wasn't built in a day and we have loads of picks in 2021.

Okay guys rip away:)

Well we went QB, LT, CB, RT, DT, S, and OG. We didn't draft a FB but we traded for one. We bought a LG and center. We did draft a FS later on. Despite the cap hit we parted ways with Jones and Rowe has come along as a safety. McCain did play well as a nickle back and Noah plays best with the ball in front of him (and is a willing tackler).

I think it is interesting to look back and see how closely we the fans align with what the team sees as needs and values. I may have been surprised at some of the names but not the general direction. Often that isn't the case with drafts in the past. That makes me free a lot better about the teams future.

How are you guys feeling? IMHO it seems like we have a plan/blueprint that we are following and that is nice for a change.

Well we went QB, LT, CB, RT, DT, S, and OG. We didn't draft a FB but we traded for one. We bought a LG and center. We did draft a FS later on. Despite the cap hit we parted ways with Jones and Rowe has come along as a safety. McCain did play well as a nickle back and Noah plays best with the ball in front of him (and is a willing tackler).

I think it is interesting to look back and see how closely we the fans align with what the team sees as needs and values. I may have been surprised at some of the names but not the general direction. Often that isn't the case with drafts in the past. That makes me free a lot better about the teams future.

How are you guys feeling? IMHO it seems like we have a plan/blueprint that we are following and that is nice for a change.

Agreed, I like the plan/blueprint.

Couple of questions about your post.
What FB did we trade for? I know of us getting RB Breida, was there another trade for a FB too?
Do you think Jones will be a FS or SS? I know we play a more non-traditional style, but I like him as more of a SS type, but maybe I’m wrong.

FB was a mistake. Fat fingers.

I think both guys will play some FS and SS. I thinks Jones is a willing tackler but I don't think man coverage is his best trait. He has very good closing speed so I think he can play deep and keep the ball in front of him. I'd rather have Rowe on a TE. So a little bit of a mixed bag on both guys. We could hope with our CB talent that nobody completes a long pass.

Should have added that we bought some DE/Edge talent too. In fact I'm surprised at how much we added to the defense. On paper we should be hard to run or pass against. I think most of our sacks will be coverage/scheme based.

If the OL gels, and Tua plays well with our WR's, and the RB's perform.....I could see us going pretty far this year. A lot of ifs but a guy can dream. And if it doesn't all come together we that much stronger draft position next year.

I am happy with the strategy the team used in FA and the Draft.

I like that their aim was to improve both LOS and then work out from there.

QB was a must and they got the guy we have been hoping for so it is hard to be unhappy with that.

No one will ever be happy with every single decision the team makes and I would have done a few things differently but I am pleased that they seem to understand the fundamentals of building a roster for the long haul and did most of the not glamorous dirty work this off season.

Next off season they can target some sexy play makers for Tua while still adding to the LOS on both sides.

Back
Top Bottom