Back to the drawing board | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Back to the drawing board

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Art Shell was brought back to the Oakland Raiders to return the team to its level of the old days.

Only those days weren't supposed to be 1961, the only time the Raiders were blanked in a season opener before Monday night's 27-0 loss to the San Diego Chargers.

"I thought it was embarrassing the way we played," Shell said Tuesday. "We had all those fans out there rooting for us, and we didn't play good football."
A new coach, new quarterback and new attitude were supposed to restore Oakland's pride, but after one week it looks like the same old Raiders who won just 13 games the past three seasons, leading to coaches Bill Callahan and Norv Turner getting fired.

LaDainian Tomlinson ran through the defense with ease, as usual, the Raiders were unable to pressure San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers in his first start, and worst of all, the offensive line looked lost on the field against Shawne Merriman and the Chargers.

It added up to Oakland's first shutout since a 30-0 loss to Kansas City on Dec. 7, 1997, second shutout ever at home (along with a 17-0 loss to Denver in 1981), and first in an opener since a 55-0 loss to Houston in 1961. That game came two years before Al Davis even joined the franchise, and in a bad omen was followed by a 44-0 loss the next week at San Diego.

"As bad as we played tonight, there really is no way but up," running back LaMont Jordan said after the game. "I'm not concerned with what the outsiders think. Once we do go out there and play well, those outsiders they're going to be supporting us. What I can say is, it's the first game of the season."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/09/12/bc.fbn.raidersregroup.ap/index.html

Man if they thought the Chargers D was good wait till they play the Ravens. Can the Raiders get shut out for 2 straight weeks?

Majpain said:
Man if they thought the Chargers D was good wait till they play the Ravens. Can the Raiders get shut out for 2 straight weeks?

Based on their performance last Monday Night it is highly possible...

Man good thing I have the raven's D in 12 of my leauges.

Nappy Roots said:
you have 12 teams? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
My bad 19 leauges all together. just have the Ravens D in 12 of them.

Back
Top Bottom