Backup DT/NT | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Backup DT/NT

phintim

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
With Howard, Ramsey along with a deep backfield opponents logically are going to attempt to run the ball. Not our greatest strength on defense last year either. Just what do we have in the cupboard at the true DT position as a backup you might have confidence at this time? Thoughts?

It could be a late free agent addition.

Miami's run game was actually really good last year, fourth best in the NFL. But the Dolphins struggled against multi-dimensional quarterbacks.

That's an area where I think Fangio will have a better defensive plan.

Miami's run game was actually really good last year, fourth best in the NFL. But the Dolphins struggled against multi-dimensional quarterbacks.

And having David Long replacing Elandon Roberts is a monumental boost in the talent department. The concern there though is, well, you know.

With Howard, Ramsey along with a deep backfield opponents logically are going to attempt to run the ball. Not our greatest strength on defense last year either. Just what do we have in the cupboard at the true DT position as a backup you might have confidence at this time? Thoughts?
Actually, last season our run D, aside from "running" QBs which negatively affect most defenses, was among the top of the league.

It’s going to be hard for other teams to run the ball if Miami’s offense is lighting up the scoreboard.

And I thought Tindall was supposed to help against the running QB.

And I thought Tindall was supposed to help against the running QB.
Not sure why you thought that. The guy was drafted outside the top 100, played a grand total of 9 defensive snaps last year and, in reality, was only a situational collegiate player who, despite impressive physical attributes, doesn't have great instincts. He was probably over drafted, IMO, because he looks to be a developmental flyer of a pick.

I think UDFA DT Pili, is a strong possibility to be on the opening day roster as a backup DT/NT type. Miami may try to sign a veteran backup/rotational DT, after June 1st? Perhaps Akiem Hicks could interest the Dolphins and Fangio? He played under Fangio in Chicago and played well. Getting more depth at DT seems to be a need. Hopefully Miami finds an answer?

Sieler and Davis could both be gone after this season as well, so depth is needed long term at the interior of the DL.

The UDFA Pili could help and I agree that we will likely see a late addition there from guys who are still out there or yet to be released once TC gets going.

You might want to look up those stats again.

Not sure why you thought that. The guy was drafted outside the top 100, played a grand total of 9 defensive snaps last year and, in reality, was only a situational collegiate player who, despite impressive physical attributes, doesn't have great instincts. He was probably over drafted, IMO, because he looks to be a developmental flyer of a pick.
I like him in coverage vs TEs.

It’s going to be hard for other teams to run the ball if Miami’s offense is lighting up the scoreboard.
Well teams sometimes use the running game as a strategy to use the clock and keep high powered offenses off the field.

Back
Top Bottom