Bad news for our trade down, maybe? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bad news for our trade down, maybe?

phunwin

The name's Bond...James Bond.
Reaction score
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-dolnb17apr17,0,7698721.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

The long and the short of it (and this is already on the main site, which just goes to show that Muck and AJ get more done before 7 am than the rest of us do all day) is that Minny may trade up to #1 and take Edwards, giving us a choice of Smith or Rodgers. That would seem to hurt our chances of a trade with Tampa, who might then say, "we could sit at 5 and have a decent chance of getting Rodgers, or move up to the less expensive 3 spot and take Rodgers or Smith there, in the hopes that Miami takes Brown."

Of course, my corollary to this is "why would Minny trade up to 1 when all indications are that a QB is going there anyway?"

Then there's this snippet in the Houston Chronicle: "There are reports the 49ers like Smith more than Rodgers and that they might trade down, but insiders believe it's a ploy to scare Rodgers into accepting the long-term contract proposal they're going to offer."

intersting twist. I thought the same thing....why trade to number one if they are going qb? I just don't see it happening. Minnesota would be making a bad decision and have to give up too much.....are they that foolish? It will be a very interesting week and I guess it was smart for Saban to put alot of behind the scenes work into looking at all the top picks, because we may be forced to pick at #2.

The only thing I can think of is that they don't want to end up like the Raiders in '96. The Raiders jumped up to #2, thinking they were a lock to get Orlando Pace. The Rams trumped them by jumping to #1. With San Diego having: a. a need at WR and b. the ammunition to move up, I suppose they could be concerned about getting beaten out for Edwards. Seems like they'd be paying a lot more than they need to, though, especially if the Niners are far along in contract talks with Rodgers.

phunwin said:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-dolnb17apr17,0,7698721.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

The long and the short of it (and this is already on the main site, which just goes to show that Muck and AJ get more done before 7 am than the rest of us do all day) is that Minny may trade up to #1 and take Edwards, giving us a choice of Smith or Rodgers. That would seem to hurt our chances of a trade with Tampa, who might then say, "we could sit at 5 and have a decent chance of getting Rodgers, or move up to the less expensive 3 spot and take Rodgers or Smith there, in the hopes that Miami takes Brown."

Of course, my corollary to this is "why would Minny trade up to 1 when all indications are that a QB is going there anyway?"

Then there's this snippet in the Houston Chronicle: "There are reports the 49ers like Smith more than Rodgers and that they might trade down, but insiders believe it's a ploy to scare Rodgers into accepting the long-term contract proposal they're going to offer."
I still think TB is risking not getting a QB if they really want one. Smith to Miami and Rodgers to Cleveland.

From ESPN Insider's Rumor Central today. This disputes the rumor that Minny wants #1, and may target #2 or #3.

ESPN Insider said:
There were rumors over the weekend that the Vikings, who hold the seventh and 18th slots in the first round, were dangling those picks to San Francisco in an effort to acquire the draft's top pick. Minnesota officials declined to discuss those rumors. ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli is hearing that Minnesota was trying to move up, but not necessarily into the No. 1 spot. The rumblings were that the Vikings were shooting for a top-five pick, perhaps the second (Miami) or third (Cleveland) choice overall, to ensure landing one of the premier wide receiver prospects.
The feeling is that the Minnesota brass prefers Michigan wide receiver Braylon Edwards over Mike Williams of Southern California. A deal-up with either the Dolphins or Browns might make more sense. According to the points system that most teams use, and which assigns a value to every pick in the draft, Minnesota doesn't have enough ammunition, at least not with its two first-round choices, to land the top pick.
The seventh pick in the draft is worth 1,500 points and the 18th spot carries a value of 800 points. That's 2,400 total points. The top choice is valued at 3,000 points. So, if Minnesota and San Francisco were to swap, the deal would have to be sweetened. On the other hand, the Miami pick, second overall, is worth 2,600 points. The third pick, held by the Browns, is worth 2,200 points. So a trade with those teams is certainly possible.

There is still plenty of work to be done on a contract, but there were indications over the weekend that San Francisco hopes to have an agreement in place with the top pick by Tuesday or Wednesday, according to Len Pasquarelli.
Although the Niners will meet with Michigan receiver Braylon Edwards today, the contract discussions are focused mostly on Rodgers. Let's face it, Rodgers is a Bay Area quarterback who is represented by a Bay Area agent, negotiating with a Bay Area franchise. Sure looks like all the components are in place for a deal.
If Rodgers doesn't go No. 1, he will likely drop at least to Tampa Bay at No. 5, speculates ESPN.com's John Clayton. The Titans might have to consider him for value at No. 6. The Cardinals could get him at No. 8. It doesn't appear he would go to Miami at No. 2 or Cleveland at No. 3.

phunwin said:
From ESPN Insider's Rumor Central today. This disputes the rumor that Minny wants #1, and may target #2 or #3.
Looks like things are starting to pan out. Seems that the 49ers will stay at #1 and most likely take Rodgers. I really hope we can pull off one of the trade downs with either Tampa or Minny.

Nublar7 said:
Looks like things are starting to pan out. Seems that the 49ers will stay at #1 and most likely take Rodgers. I really hope we can pull off one of the trade downs with either Tampa or Minny.

The absolute best news, and I anticipate this happening in the next two days, would be that Rodgers has agreed to terms. Effectively, we'd be on the clock at that point.

phunwin said:
The absolute best news, and I anticipate this happening in the next two days, would be that Rodgers has agreed to terms. Effectively, we'd be on the clock at that point.
Yes we would. PFT(the idiot site) said that Rodgers may actually agree with San Fran as early as tomorrow. I hope for once that they are right.

Nublar7 said:
Yes we would. PFT(the idiot site) said that Rodgers may actually agree with San Fran as early as tomorrow. I hope for once that they are right.

If this happens, the feeding frenzy for Edwards would be legendary. It might end up giving us more than book value for the pick.

Back
Top Bottom