Bad news... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bad news...

inFINSible

Don't believe everything you think.
Reaction score
I was reading a recent article in SI while waiting for the dentist today and found it quite interesting and a little troubling.

The article was about offensive lineman and offensive lines. Namely, what makes a great line and what kind of players make great lineman.

First of all to be a great lineman, you have to be very smart and quick thinking, especially the player making the line calls. With out getting into great detail about what it is they have to know, I'll suffice to say, no player on the team that isn't called a quarterback has to do more presnap reads than the lineman. So, being smart is almost as important as being big and strong. (As Kyle Turley said," If you are big and strong, AND dumb...You're a defensive lineman" or, as he likes to call them, a "geranium" :lol: )

Second, to be a great offensive line you have to excellent communication between lineman, often times the non-verbal variety. In other words, you have to know what the guy next to you is going to do. This is the most important aspect of a good offensive line, and continuity is the only way to acheive this.
the article was written at the time when KC was 11-1 and had a dominating offensive line. Perhaps the best in the league. The article goes on to point out that it was no coincidence that they had been togther for 28 straight games. Most in the league.

That being said, the conclusion that I drew from the article is that even if we get a couple of new lineman, It will probably still take time for them to become a cohesive unit, no matter how talented the players we plug in. Continuity can only be sought through repetition, so there are going to be growing pains any way we go. Whether those growing pains last three games six games or ten games, is anybodys' guess.

Tampa Bay had very poor lineplay in the beginning of their SB season and they obviously got things clicking before the seasons end which means that it's entirely possible that just plugging in some new players may eventually be the ticket but, there's also the possibility that it's going to take more than just that.

I know this is common knowlegde to most people in here and I'm not trying to insult anybody's intelligence by acting like I just discovered the key to it all but, this article sort of drove the point home for me and I thought somebody else might get the same thing out of it that I did.

Did anyone else read the article I'm talking about?

Does anybody have any examples of a team that had an awful line one year and turned it around the next year by just adding a player or two?

People gave too much credit to Kelly when he changed plays at the line of scrimmage when if fact, he would double check with Kent Hull. If Hull didn't like the call ......This was from Steve Tasker.

Originally posted by inFINSible
I was reading a recent article in SI while waiting for the dentist today and found it quite interesting and a little troubling.

The article was about offensive lineman and offensive lines. Namely, what makes a great line and what kind of players make great lineman.

First of all to be a great lineman, you have to be very smart and quick thinking, especially the player making the line calls. With out getting into great detail about what it is they have to know, I'll suffice to say, no player on the team that isn't called a quarterback has to do more presnap reads than the lineman. So, being smart is almost as important as being big and strong. (As Kyle Turley said," If you are big and strong, AND dumb...You're a defensive lineman" or, as he likes to call them, a "geranium" :lol: )

Second, to be a great offensive line you have to excellent communication between lineman, often times the non-verbal variety. In other words, you have to know what the guy next to you is going to do. This is the most important aspect of a good offensive line, and continuity is the only way to acheive this.
the article was written at the time when KC was 11-1 and had a dominating offensive line. Perhaps the best in the league. The article goes on to point out that it was no coincidence that they had been togther for 28 straight games. Most in the league.

That being said, the conclusion that I drew from the article is that even if we get a couple of new lineman, It will probably still take time for them to become a cohesive unit, no matter how talented the players we plug in. Continuity can only be sought through repetition, so there are going to be growing pains any way we go. Whether those growing pains last three games six games or ten games, is anybodys' guess.

Tampa Bay had very poor lineplay in the beginning of their SB season and they obviously got things clicking before the seasons end which means that it's entirely possible that just plugging in some new players may eventually be the ticket but, there's also the possibility that it's going to take more than just that.

I know this is common knowlegde to most people in here and I'm not trying to insult anybody's intelligence by acting like I just discovered the key to it all but, this article sort of drove the point home for me and I thought somebody else might get the same thing out of it that I did.

Did anyone else read the article I'm talking about?

Does anybody have any examples of a team that had an awful line one year and turned it around the next year by just adding a player or two?

Yeah, that article was pretty informative and if I could, I'd staple this article on every Dolphin O-Lineman's head. The addition of Jamie Nails did a wonder two seasons ago. Speaking of Turley, he just joined the Rams and there was no evident drop in oLine performance. Veterans who've been on different teams know hoe to adjust. Hopefully the Fins get VETERAN O-Linemen who have talent and experience.

While that probably is true for the most part, just take a look at the Giants OL the year they went to the SB against the Ravens. That was a patchwork OL if ever there was one. No superstarts just a bunch of old veterans thrown together, they seemed to do just fine.

I think the most important part is to have the same players on the field the whole season.

Note about continuity....

Seth McKinney
Taylor Whitley
Billy Yates

...Have years of experience playing together.

Originally posted by Section126
the dolphins......They brought in Webb and Sims in the same year and they clicked.......

126...they were excellent in pass protection, a lot of that was due to Dan's quick release I believe. Their run blocking skills? That's debatable.:D

Originally posted by themole

126...they were excellent in pass protection, a lot of that was due to Dan's quick release I believe. Their run blocking skills? That's debatable.:D
when they first game up, for 2 or 3 years they were pretty good. after that they seemed to slow down. too much time at south beach i assume!:rolleyes:

Originally posted by dolfan06
when they first game up, for 2 or 3 years they were pretty good. after that they seemed to slow down. too much time at south beach i assume!:rolleyes:

How's it goin 06? Did you enjoy yourself in Razorback country?

Simms and Webb...I just can't remember them being that good at run blocking. I do remember them saying that they were trying to improve in that area though. I think that is one of the reasons for Shues getting rid of Keith Simms.

We never had a RB to run behind so we will never know!!!....Miami needs to solidify the LT position and move Smith inside!!!...I believe that Whitley will play alot better this coming season!!!

Wade Smith is going to be a fixture at LT for years to come. Jeff Fisher was quoted as saying "Smith is going to be a good one" after having a bad day at Tennessee

Talking about lineman who are very smart. Pundits have been saying for years how intelligent Ruddy (who calls the line plays) is and that he has an engineering degree from Notre Dame. Even with his poor play McKinney has not been able to replace Ruddy which the Dolphins have been trying to do for years. Every year Warren Sapp kids him about still being on the team. The only reason Ruddy will be cut is because of his high salary.

Look what they say in his Dolphin Bio:
Posted a perfect 4.0 grade point average as both a junior and a senior ... Graduated with 3.86 grade point average ... Holds B.S. in mechanical engineering ... Earned post-graduate scholarships from NCAA and National Football Foundation.

Re: Re: Bad news...

Originally posted by Regan21286

Speaking of Turley, he just joined the Rams and there was no evident drop in oLine performance.

No! There was a significant "drop off" at the beginning of the year. It almost got Kurt Warner killed. I remember watching that game and thinking that either I was wrong about Turley or this line just doesn't click.

They clicked in just the right time. They clicked in time for you not to notice. :D

Ruddy has actually been a nice center for the Dolphins over the years. He was obviously hurt by injuries this season, so it will be interesting to see if his play is really in decline.

Sure, he's not Dwight Stephenson or Jim Langer, but there aren't many that are in that class. Tim Ruddy is better than Jeff Ulenhake and Jeff Dellenbach though.

That 1994 draft is probably the last time this team has had a productive first and second round in the same draft. That draft produced Tim Bowens and Tim Ruddy. Aubrey Beavers was a sandwich pick in between them, but both Bowens and Ruddy have been pro bowl picks in the past.

Originally posted by KBISBACK
Ruddy has actually been a nice center for the Dolphins over the years. He was obviously hurt by injuries this season, so it will be interesting to see if his play is really in decline.

Sure, he's not Dwight Stephenson or Jim Langer, but there aren't many that are in that class. Tim Ruddy is better than Jeff Ulenhake and Jeff Dellenbach though.

That 1994 draft is probably the last time this team has had a productive first and second round in the same draft. That draft produced Tim Bowens and Tim Ruddy. Aubrey Beavers was a sandwich pick in between them, but both Bowens and Ruddy have been pro bowl picks in the past.

I agree with you and did not mean to imply any negative about Ruddy but actually the opposite. There is no denying that the Dolphin brain trust has been trying to replace him for years. It's been public knowledge and reported in the press for years. A couple of times in interviews Tim has sometimes rattled off all the names of the guys who tried to replace him through the years. :)

Back
Top Bottom