Baker and Dolphins Contract Extensions | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Baker and Dolphins Contract Extensions

Collectively known as Ogbah, Fuller, Mike G and the JAGS. I'd be pretty shocked if we extend Ogbah. He'll probably want to get paid and his production really dropped 2nd half of the season.
Ogbah wasn't getting sacks, which can vary a lot from season to season, let alone game to game. But his ability to get to the QB didn't fall off to the degree that it is often portrayed.

He had 66 pressures (combination of sacks, hurries, hits). Here is how his first 9 and last 7 games compare here

First 9 games
39 pressures (4.33 per game)

Last 7
27 pressures (3.86 per game)

*Last 6
27 pressures (4.5 per game)

And the first game of that final 7 was the Denver game, which was the only one he recorded zero pressures. You could include it in either set and it would significantly impact the numbers. I only split it this way bc the Denver game was when his sack streak ended. But over his final 6 games he averaged 4.5 pressures per game.

It's not like he wasn't still getting after the QB. But he's not going to get the respect he deserved for how well he played in the Cinci game, bc he didn't get a sack. Even though he had 4 pressures and 5 QB hits (3 more than any other game).

Ogbah had an incredible stretch that I never believed was sustainable. I think his ability to generate sacks is roughly represented by his season total, even though his splash plays ended up being highly concentrated in an early 8 game span.

The year before he had 5.5 sacks in KC, while only playing 37% of their defensive snaps. I'm not scared off by a 7 game stretch where he only managed to get 1 last year.

Last edited:
This F.O. seems to be following the Patriots blueprint. That means they're unlikely to sign him to a monster deal and instead allow him to be signed by someone else for big money and take the comp pick instead.

Drafting Jalen allows them to pursue that route as well.

New England's "blue print" is/was a failure because Belichek can't draft. And for the record I'd say it was Baltimore's blue print who actually could draft. Belichek clung to one Scott Pioli draft pick for 20 years and created a mystique for himself as a brilliant GM (as a defensive coach he absolutely top caliber).

Flores watched Belichek get lauded for years for accumulating the Kevin O'Connell's of the world. I doubt Chris Grier is salivating at the thought of picking up a 4th or 5th round pick at this point in our re-build. Sure you want the picks but the decision lies in Ogbah's pass rush ability, or lack there of.

This F.O. seems to be following the Patriots blueprint. That means they're unlikely to sign him to a monster deal and instead allow him to be signed by someone else for big money and take the comp pick instead.

Drafting Jalen allows them to pursue that route as well.
I agree. It can be argued they've already made up their minds as to what they may be thinking?

Ogbah is a very good second option. If he asks for #1 option money, I'm gonna pass.

If he'll work for market price for a non-star, I'm in.

Read my post above yours

I saw it. Didn’t make Ogbah a better player. He’s decent.

I don't need stats to remind me of what I saw, or didn’t see.

I’m not casting the guy off to the trash heap but I don’t see a “pass rusher”.

Og might be next, if the $ make sense.

Honestly, Ogbah should have been the first guy re-signed. He is the most needed of the entire group. I think we've gone in reverse order simply because the less-needed guys are easier to sign. We've extended a kicker, average linebacker, and not yet resigned a premier edge rusher.

I agree. It can be argued they've already made up their minds as to what they may be thinking?
I think the FO knows it may be tough to sign these marquee players, which is why they drafted their positions (edge in Jaelan Phillips and TE in Hunter Long). Doesn't necessarily mean they move on from them, but it gives us coverage in case they are too hard to re-sign and theoretically improves our leverage in negotiations with them. That is assuming they have a particular attachment to staying here over getting more money. The flip side is that it is earmarking your draft picks. Just so happens that the guys they got represented great value and great need filling at the same time. That's good drafting IMHO.

Still, not re-signing Ogbah and Gesicki is poor GM'ing and really undermines this teams chances of making that next leap up in quality.

I saw it. Didn’t make Ogbah a better player. He’s decent.

I don't need stats to remind me of what I saw, or didn’t see.

I’m not casting the guy off to the trash heap but I don’t see a “pass rusher”.
I never called him elite but you said "or lack there of" in regard to his pass rush ability.

You don't think that is being ridiculously harsh on a guy that ranked #12 in pressures and 14 in sacks.

I know what I saw too. I saw a line that lacked pass rushing threats across the board, and had to scheme to get to the QB. Ogbah was the only player I saw getting to the QB (with any consistency) by beating his man.

Sorry but referring to his pass rush as "lack there of" is disrespecting his ability there. At the absolute worst he is an amazing #2 pass rushing DE.

Last edited:
I think the FO knows it may be tough to sign these marquee players, which is why they drafted their positions (edge in Jaelan Phillips and TE in Hunter Long). Doesn't necessarily mean they move on from them, but it gives us coverage in case they are too hard to re-sign and theoretically improves our leverage in negotiations with them. That is assuming they have a particular attachment to staying here over getting more money. The flip side is that it is earmarking your draft picks. Just so happens that the guys they got represented great value and great need filling at the same time. That's good drafting IMHO.

Still, not re-signing Ogbah and Gesicki is poor GM'ing and really undermines this teams chances of making that next leap up in quality.
Phillips would play across from Ogbah, replacing Shaq Lawson...not Ogbah. We have no leverage with Ogbah besides floating Sieler in his face as a replacement. Strangely enough, I dunno if I'd have a problem wit that.

Phillips would play across from Ogbah, replacing Shaq Lawson...not Ogbah. We have no leverage with Ogbah besides floating Sieler in his face as a replacement. Strangely enough, I dunno if I'd have a problem wit that.
Potentially, yes, but Andrew Van Ginkel played in Shaq Lawson's LB spot a lot last year, so I see him playing the Lawson position as an OLB/DE and Phillips in the Kyle Van Noy position of DE/OLB. Sure, once Phillips settles in I'm sure Coach Flo is salivating on moving those guys around more, just probably not early in year 1, IMHO.

Not sure I feel that next years FA list of DEs is that great. How many are going to get paid more than Ogbah? Fowler, McKinley & Barnett??
1623831033488.png

Back
Top Bottom