Baker and Dolphins Contract Extensions | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Baker and Dolphins Contract Extensions

If Baker just signed for $13 million a year, I doubt any of the three you mentioned above are going to be looking to sign for anything lower than that.

Gesicki is probably looking to be paid as a top 5 TE in the league and presently the top 5 TE’s in the league average nearly $13 million dollars a year. With the salary cap expected to rise quite a bit next off season, he might even be looking to sign a contract north of $14 million a year. I just don’t know if the Dolphins want to spend that type money on a TE who is basically one dimensional because of his inability to provide much blocking in the running game.
‘If Long comes in and plays as well as the Dolphins believe he can, I think they will let Gesicki walk in free agency instead of signing him for the money he likely is looking for in free agency.

If Ogbah comes in next season and plays the entire year the way he did in the first half of the 2020 season, he will obviously be looking to sign a huge contract in free agency. If he plays like he did over the latter half of the 2020 season, I think the Dolphins will be looking to upgrade at his position in the draft or in free agency next off season. Right now they probably want to see how he plays next season and I will be surprised if they try and extend him prior to this coming season.

Fuller signed a one year contract in an attempt to prove he could play an entire season and stay healthy. If he comes in and is able to play at a high level over the entire season and stay healthy, he will likely be looking to sign a new contract that will pay him far more than the $10 million dollars he will be paid in 2021. The average contract for the top 10 WR’s in the NFL at this time is also $20 million dollars a year. So unless Fuller comes in and gets hurt again or puts up very mediocre numbers, I suspect he will be looking to sign a new contract that will pay him in the $15-20 million dollars a year range after next season.

If the Dolphins thought they could sign any of these three players for the $10 million a year you estimated they might sign for, they would probably be happy to sign them to an extension for that amount. Unfortunately I think it is very likely all of them will be looking to be paid quite a bit more than $10 million a year after next season. Hopefully all three of these players have great seasons in 2021 and the Dolphins are able to sign them all to new contracts. Yet it won’t surprise me if they all leave in free agency if they are looking to sign for the type of money the Dolphins just don’t believe they are worth.

So in conclusion sign no one!

I’d say Gesiki. The money would make sense even on a 1 year deal and if he does that well they will likely want to work a long term deal out.
Why would a 1 year deal make sense for MG? You have to be realistic. This may be his one chance at the big score. He's going to want security/gaurantees in nis next deal, and he will get it somewhere if he has a good/great year.

So in conclusion sign no one!
That is not what I said. I was merely responding to the suggestion that these three players would sign new contracts in the $10 million dollar a year range. I believe each of them will be expecting considerably more money than that to sign a new contract. So the front office and the coaching staff will have to determine if they want to spend the money it will take to sign any one of the three players or all of them.

Personally I would love to see them extend Gesicki and Fuller and perhaps Ogbah if he can get back to playing the way he did in the first part of the 2020 season. Yet it isn’t my money and it comes down to the Dolphins being willing to pay these players what they think they are worth if all of them become free agents after the 2021 season.

Collectively known as Ogbah, Fuller, Mike G and the JAGS. I'd be pretty shocked if we extend Ogbah. He'll probably want to get paid and his production really dropped 2nd half of the season.
I agree with much of what you are saying, I wouldn't be shocked but I wouldn't blame the Dolphins for taking their time with resigning Ogbah. He wants to cash in now coming off a descent year, but like you said his play fell off in the 2nd half of the year, (especially after teams starting figuring out our blitzing scheme) I would be leery giving him a big contract since many of his sacks were unimpeded to the QB.

I don't see Miami using the tag
I don't like using it unless for some reason both parties prefer it, though I can't envision how it is ever to the player's benefit.

Seems like hard feelings are inevitable.

I don't like using it unless for some reason both parties prefer it, though I can't envision how it is ever to the player's benefit.

Seems like hard feelings are inevitable.
The only players you should ever tag are the actual generational guys. Too often teams use it as a last resort and it only increases the players value.

I’d be saving my money for a fuller monster deal should he play to it and stay healthy.

The money is there, IF Miami chooses to extend anyone else. Gesicki, Ogbah and Fuller. Potentially all are, looking at around $10m plus. If Miami were to restructure Jones' contract, that'll save somewhere around $9m, giving the team an additional cushion, if needed. I'd like to see Ogbah and Fuller play out the season, before Miami attempts any resigning. Got to see if Ogbah can repeat his 2020 performance, minus the last 7-8 games of the season, where he was held without a sack.

Fuller just needs to prove his value as a deep threat and stay off the juice. Perhaps there's an extension or resigning in his future?

As for Gesicki, only Miami truly knows what will happen. I'd absolutely love for the franchise to sign him long term.

If Miami truly is following the NE mantra, they may have already decided to let them walk and take whatever comp picks they'd get in return. The 2022 cap increase could very well be a huge one; allowing teams the room to operate. So there is potential and hope Miami can work out new contracts with their F/A's?
The comp pick game was always smart money. Belichek would go after as many top 100 players as he could.

The thing was he always had Brady to move the needle. The jury is still out on Tua. Id prefer to get horses around him and see if he's the authentic article or not.

Why would a 1 year deal make sense for MG? You have to be realistic. This may be his one chance at the big score. He's going to want security/gaurantees in nis next deal, and he will get it somewhere if he has a good/great year.
If he gets a franchise tag, which was the question I was answering (Who will Miami franchise tag, gesicki, ogbah or fuller?), its a one year deal unless we get a long term deal done, which I said we would try to do if we tag him.

A FA. A draft pick. He had 2 sacks 2nd half of the season. I'm sure we can figure something out.

Right! Let's casually ignore all the desruptive plays he generated throughout the entire season.

BTW, remind me prior to him who exactly generated as much or more at that position?

Right! Let's casually ignore all the desruptive plays he generated throughout the entire season.

BTW, remind me prior to him who exactly generated as much or more at that position?
I'm evaluating him based upon what he did, not what everyone else didn't do. He was great the 1st half of the season and he if wants to get paid based on that as I expect he would, i think that's the conundrum. I distinctly remember a lot of his production coming off of blown protections due to our schemes. Once teams began to adjust, he didn't do nearly as much. We have Phillips now so we need to see what he can do. If he looks like a stud, not as much of a reason to overpay for Ogbah.

Back
Top Bottom