Baker Peels Back Curtain On How Phins Operate and Other Notes | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Baker Peels Back Curtain On How Phins Operate and Other Notes

Watson is 0 and 22 so far this year and 4 and 12 last year. I'll take Tua

This. Heā€™s functional but sub-adequate in coverage and as a run stopper. His only ā€œplusā€ linebacking skill is his pass rush ability.

For him to be effective, you need to make use of his versatility because if the other side knows heā€™s going to be in coverage, theyā€™ll pick on him. If they know heā€™s going to be the Mike, theyā€™ll run for 7 yards a carry. If they know heā€™s going to pass rush, heā€™s going to be exposed as a 220 pound edge. The key to making Baker effective is not letting the other team realize what hat heā€™s wearing until the play has started.
So basically heā€™s not worth the contract we are paying.

The Texans lost Watson for much of his rookie season because of knee surgery but they didnā€™t go looking for another QB to replace him permanently.

I just think the lack of support Tua received from the front office and especially Ross and Grier before the trade deadline was detrimental to the team overall. Flores did the best he could under the circumstances by stating that Tua was the teams starting QB but all the rumors that Flores wanted Herbert and not Tua in the 2020 and that Flores and Tua donā€™t get along certainly didnā€™t help. Especially when the Dolphins were on a 7 game losing streak while those rumors were running rampant.
To be fair, was there a QB available at the time of Watson's caliber now? I don't blame Miami one bit for looking into it. Watson on the field is what you hope Tua can become. Over the last 4 games, Tua is playing very well, and I believe if used correctly he can and will be a top QB in the league. Tua's play has never been a concern for me personally, but his availability has. Availability is and ability.

We don't know what was being told to Tua behind the scenes. We do know that Miami is very tight lipped to the media. Flores has always said he doesn't talk about rumors. Granted, he could have been more decisive like Tomlinson, but then he get's caught in a lie as Miami was talking to Houston at one point.

The latest right before the trade deadline really seems to have been coming from the Houston/Watson camp to generate interest. At this point I believe they desperately want to get out from under Watson, but still wont give him away.

I believe Tua is here to stay. He's the guy I wanted in the draft and he's the guy they should roll with. Add a vet center and a vet OT or OG, a hard running RB that can run between the tackles, and at least one more starting caliber WR that can actually stay on the field and this offense will be scary. I also believe Godsey, Frye and Tua are working well together right now. The progress is right there in front of our eyes, the play calling is still limited based on personnel, but the three of them seem to have found their happy place.

He was much better in coverage before. He's really fallen off the early part of the season. He looked out of shape if i'm being honest.

I never liked him as a Mike type backer. He's never had the physicality or thump.
You are right. I don't know but visually he looks bigger. My thought all season was did he add weight to be better against the run on the inside and did it cost him in his speed and quickness. I'm like you, keep him outside and use his athleticism.

Tired of hearing the Watson rumors impacted anyone.

These are grown men, if they can't put **** aside to focus on football they should be cut and aren't worth the league minimum.

Outside distractions are for those with small and weak minds.

You are right. I don't know but visually he looks bigger. My thought all season was did he add weight to be better against the run on the inside and did it cost him in his speed and quickness. I'm like you, keep him outside and use his athleticism.

Honestly I thought our LB group look more physical when Baker was not in the lineup and a guy like Riley and the other backup came in.

Honestly I thought our LB group look more physical when Baker was not in the lineup and a guy like Riley and the other backup came in.
I liked what I have seen from Riley. He seems to be all over the place and is very physical. He deserves more PT for sure.

Just because they wrote a fluff piece based off of Bakes one experience doesn't mean there's not some kind of rif in the locker room. I'm not saying there is one, but I wouldn't just assume everything is rainbows and butterflies because of this.
We can always count on your rays of sunshine. lol

Back
Top Bottom