Baldy’s Breakdown | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Baldy’s Breakdown

Keep in mind, it usually takes a few weeks for an Oline to gel, especially with all the new faces. Obviously, this isnt something we want to continue however.
That makes me wonder, how long does it take for an OL to gel? I really don't know. Are there any statistical facts about this? I personally think it does take time, but it might be an anecdotal sort of thing. Would be fun to take five individually good OL people from different teams and see what happens. All hypothetical of course since it will never happen.

LargoFin is literally wrong about everything, everytime he posts.

How? Go watch highlights of last season. But more importantly, McDaniel was hired as a "running game" guru for the Niners, because our running game sucked. He was not hired to change the "Bama" misdirection offense which we already had.

That makes me wonder, how long does it take for an OL to gel? I really don't know. Are there any statistical facts about this? I personally think it does take time, but it might be an anecdotal sort of thing. Would be fun to take five individually good OL people from different teams and see what happens. All hypothetical of course since it will never happen.
Wish I knew the answer, Ive seen several good teams struggle until week 4 or so. Hopefully we wont take that long, but be prepared. New coaches, new blocking schemes, new techniques, new faces.....

But, the saving grace, is knowing that we actually have guys qualified to right the ship now.

How long? Your guess is as good as mine.

While celebrating the good, it’s good to also look critically at what wasn’t good. Oline play was horrible. We have a major problem at Oline and coaching of Oline. This needs to be fixed. Yesterday.
Balance - something that is lacking in the above post - LOL

How? Go watch highlights of last season. But more importantly, McDaniel was hired as a "running game" guru for the Niners, because our running game sucked. He was not hired to change the "Bama" misdirection offense which we already had.
He was hired to be a Head Coach in charge of:

Training Camp
Training (physical and mental) during the season
The Offense
The Defense
Special Teams
The Coaching Staff
The Game Plan
Post Season Preparation and Play
Anything else game related that he feels will require his attention i.e.:
The Draft
Free Agents
Trades

Seems like you missed a few things; almost everything and don't see the "Big Picture" that is all part of a HC's job.

Focusing only on his past experience is, at the very least, myopic and at the worst Blatantly S&$!!D (unwise). - LOL

Wish I knew the answer, Ive seen several good teams struggle until week 4 or so. Hopefully we wont take that long, but be prepared. New coaches, new blocking schemes, new techniques, new faces.....

But, the saving grace, is knowing that we actually have guys qualified to right the ship now.

How long? Your guess is as good as mine.
Decades ago, everyone was amazed that the Colts lost almost all of their preseason games but were perennial playoff contenders.

After that, I realized that preseason was about so much more than just seeing how well the team could play. I have never seen a need to change that position.

I’m happy about the offenses direction because I said I felt before we hired MCD that a west coast offense with RPO intertwined is the best way to get the best out of Tua

What I saw in camp is that west coast style, what I didn’t see was the RPO stuff

Not sure any conclusive statistical analysis is possible. Way too many variables like overall experience of newcomers, is it a new system for all, or are there remaining vets in an established system/staff, etc.

Not sure that I would call it anecdotal though. It is, however, logical that it would take time.

I would harken back to my basketball experience. 5 guys that have played together for a while can almost always beat 5 random guys who haven't, even if the guys that haven't are somewhat better athletes and individual players.

I'm wondering if the offensive play calling will typically be passing to open up the run, got to get the ball in the hands of our top two play makers more often than not. Then you could sneak in some draw type runs to pick up easy chunk yardage on the ground. Don't know that this team can operate as run first the way it is currently constructed.
Guess we'll see how it goes once the regular season starts. I'll be disappointed if we don't comfortably handle business against the patriots, our offense should be able to put up 20+ pts even if a little rusty. Defense should be able to smother their offense.

I'm wondering if the offensive play calling will typically be passing to open up the run, got to get the ball in the hands of our top two play makers more often than not. Then you could sneak in some draw type runs to pick up easy chunk yardage on the ground. Don't know that this team can operate as run first the way it is currently constructed.
Guess we'll see how it goes once the regular season starts. I'll be disappointed if we don't comfortably handle business against the patriots, our offense should be able to put up 20+ pts even if a little rusty. Defense should be able to smother their offense.
Well, that's completely antithetical to McD's stated general philosophy of "establishing the run to buy single high".

I don't think he's just blowing smoke.

Well, that's completely antithetical to McD's stated general philosophy of "establishing the run to buy single high".

I don't think he's just blowing smoke.
Interesting, where do you think our oline stacks up compared to San Francisco's? We have the personnel to be successful with a run first philosophy?

Back
Top Bottom