Ball spin | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ball spin

If the direction of spin effects any receiver's ability to catch the ball, even in the slightest, he should be playing defensive back.

If makes zero difference.

^^ What Ren just said!!!!!!!!

Non issue. He will be dropping those pineapples in on pillows with ungodly ball placement consistency.

Owens had lefty Steve Young as his QB when he was drafted by SF. Maybe he had to adjust to a lefty after his college QBs. I do remember reading tho, that Rice and John Taylor had an asst trainer or equipt guy who was left-handed, throwing them balls before and after practice, after the Niners signed Young. Good receivers will adjust.
Owens may have also meant making the transition from Young to Garcia.

...good points! It's also completely different to catch a ball
in the Southern Hemisphere vs. the Northern.

Ideally you train on the equator and adjust more easily!

True Story!

BNF

This subject was discussed here once before and I cannot remember who or what it was about. I posted in that thread as I can attest to spin be it clockwise or counterclockwise.
I used to be a freestyle Frisbee player. I honed my abilities at Dania beach in the 70's and 80's.

I was able to field the spinning disk by allowing it to rotate on my finger. I was very good at this.
However, when someone threw the disc underhanded the disc came to me spinning in the opposite direction. I could not control it. It took many months to get the direction thing worked out. And I still hated to see a player loft one to me underhanded.
I also had to watch the person throwing to know the direction the disc would be spinning when it arrived. Good players throw conventional and underhanded. I had to be prepared for both.

This is proof enough for me to know there is a learning curve. I understand a Frisbee is different than a football. But my experience is real and I do think it will require adjustments for receivers.
Are you comparing catching a football with catching a frisbee? Entirely different mechanics unless the frisbee you are talking about was shaped like a football and made with leather and laces. Everyone that grew up in FL was a freestyle frisbee player. It's called going to the beach. In my time as a free style football player (at the beach) before I had my training meal (called a sandwich with chips and a Coke) while listening to my team's audio presentation (the radio), I learned that I mostly used my hand in an entirely non football catching manner. I later asked my position coach (my Dad), If I could train to alleviate this problem. He setup a special training regime for me of making sand castles and bringing my Uncles phone numbers to agents of the other team (girls in bikinis).

#barbara palvin from All About Barbara Palvin

Back
Top Bottom