Ballage Tries To Overtake Drake For Dolphins Rb Job | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ballage Tries To Overtake Drake For Dolphins Rb Job

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
fl-sp-dolphins-tannehill-ballage-20180814

Now that Ryan Fitzpatrick has pulled ahead in the battle for the quarterback job, the stiffest competition in the Miami Dolphins' backfield may be at running back.

Second-year pro Kalen Ballage took a lot of snaps with the first team during the first week of training camp, and he could unseat incumbent Kenyan Drake for the starting job.

Regardless of who earns the No. 1 designation, the two will likely share playing time and provide a contrast in styles. Ballage is listed 6-2 and 231 pounds, and the leaner, faster Drake is 6-1 and 211.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/article233452897.html

We haven't even played a pre season game yet so none of this matters at this point. I want to see who starts at each position in the 3rd game of the pre season. That will be way more telling.

I really like Ballage but Drake is the better back at this point. I do think that potentially Ballage has the potential to be an every down back and Drake a good change of pace option on 3rd down.

Last edited:
Ballage has a huge issue with not picking up yards after contact. for a guy who tested out so well in terms of pure athleticism it's pretty concerning. As for drake he is much better at eluding and gaining extra yards. I'm only guessing but it seems kalen must have improved his pass blocking if they continue to work with him as the one.

The bottom line is neither one of them is probably the long term answer as a starting running back in this league. Drake reminds me of Lamar Miller a little bit.

Last edited:
Ballage is a bad azz and I would not at all be surprised if he wins the starter role although it is unlikely he will beat Drake.

Screenshot_20190802-172951.jpg

What difference does it make who the running back is when you don't have a legitimate starting QB.

For a BIG back Ballage sure goes down easily on first contact.

I'm sorry, But a starting NFL back needs to be able to make the 1st guy miss.

For a BIG back Ballage sure goes down easily on first contact.

I'm sorry, But a starting NFL back needs to be able to make the 1st guy miss.

But on the flip side he's got some damn good speed for a big back.

But on the flip side he's got some damn good speed for a big back.

Speed isn't a problem for our backs. Honestly, I don't think we've had a RB speed problem since we had Abdul-Karim al-Jabbar under Jimmy Johnson.
Everyone from John Avery to Cecil Collins to Ricky Williams to Lamar Miller to Ajayi and Drake have had more than enough speed.

Finally let me add his a big LEAN back ala Eddie George

I'm happy to have Ballage on the team, but my gut feeling is that he is about 75% the RB that Kenyan Drake is (at most).

Whatever is going on with Drake is between the ears, not talent-related.

This shouldn't even be getting discussed as a competition. YMMV.

Anyone see tannabum on espn talking about how great backs can be found anywhere in the draft? Like the Dolphins found 2 great ones in Ballage and Drake. Lol. No knock on the backs. Just funny to listen to him toot his own horn when he did nothing as a gm in the NFL.

Either way we have a pleasant surprise in Ballage or it lights a fire under drake. Competition can only lead to good things, but it would be nice to have a potential power back like Ballage on first and second down.

Anyone see tannabum on espn talking about how great backs can be found anywhere in the draft? Like the Dolphins found 2 great ones in Ballage and Drake. Lol. No knock on the backs. Just funny to listen to him toot his own horn when he did nothing as a gm in the NFL.
Thanks for the update brother as I don't watch ESPN. If he was so great why is he sitting on ESPN?

Back
Top Bottom