Barry Jackson Could Not Be Anymore Spot On | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson Could Not Be Anymore Spot On

Whether Gase has more faith in Osweiler than Tannehill I don't know. All I'm saying is Gase isn't calling passing plays for Tannehill like he did for Osweiler or even like he did two years ago before Tannehill got hurt. If Gase is babying Tannehill because he's coming off injury, I also don't know. But I do know that it's costing the Dolphins games and that Gase is clearly coaching scared to me.

He called plenty of passing plays for Tannehill with most of those passes being on a line towards it's intended target.

Tannehill wasn't being babied in the slightest bit. If anything Gase was babying himself.

Tannehill did nothing wrong other than have an impressive workout for the Dolphins FO 7 years ago. He should've bailed on that workout and went to better franchise.

In a sense, didn't Adam Gase just show us what he thought of Ryan Tannehill? Granted, Tannehill is back from an injury and missed five games. I expected Miami to be at least somewhat conservative. But, Gase obviously trusted his defense more than his quarterback. Miami's defense had played fairly well in this game, but we all know Andrew Luck is at his best in these situations. Strange game calling for sure.

we have had a long history of playing not to lose in miami. it goes back many years before tanny. goes back to shula and the prevent defense. we dont really trust the defense its just how we ve been rolling for many years its almost a dolphin tradition.

I honestly believe Gase doesn’t think Tannehill is his qb. He’s got no trust in him, hell I think he was really hoping Mayfield or Rosen dropped to him. How is it not obvious when he said the reason he ran that last play was because he didn’t want a turnover.

In Osweiler's 5 starts (not including the game he come on in relief of Tannehill):
Week 6 against Chicago - 44 attempts
Week 7 against Detroit - 31 attempts
Week 8 at Houston - 37 attempts
Week 9 against Jets - 24 attempts
Week 10 at GB - 37 attempts

Total 173 attempts in 5 starts - 34.6 pass attempts per start

In Tannehill's 6 starts (6 not 5):
Week 1 against Ten - 28 attempts
Week 2 at Jets - 23 attempts
Week 3 against Raiders - 23 attempts
Week 4 at Patriots - 20 attempts
Week 5 at Cincy - 35 attempts (only game over 30 attempts this year so how can he possibly average over 30 attempts per game?)
Week 11 at Indy - 25 attempts

Total 154 attempts in 6 starts - 25.7 pass attempts per start

Compared to Osweiler who only had one game under 30 attempts. The only reason I looked it up is cause I can tell the play calling was different with Tannehill in the game as opposed to Osweiler. Gase called more pass plays for Osweiler.
In Osweiler's 5 starts (not including the game he come on in relief of Tannehill):
Week 6 against Chicago - 44 attempts
Week 7 against Detroit - 31 attempts
Week 8 at Houston - 37 attempts
Week 9 against Jets - 24 attempts
Week 10 at GB - 37 attempts

Total 173 attempts in 5 starts - 34.6 pass attempts per start

In Tannehill's 6 starts (6 not 5):
Week 1 against Ten - 28 attempts
Week 2 at Jets - 23 attempts
Week 3 against Raiders - 23 attempts
Week 4 at Patriots - 20 attempts
Week 5 at Cincy - 35 attempts (only game over 30 attempts this year so how can he possibly average over 30 attempts per game?)
Week 11 at Indy - 25 attempts

Total 154 attempts in 6 starts - 25.7 pass attempts per start

Compared to Osweiler who only had one game under 30 attempts. The only reason I looked it up is cause I can tell the play calling was different with Tannehill in the game as opposed to Osweiler. Gase called more pass plays for Osweiler.

Yeah my mistake, I missed that final game with Tannehill, have no idea where I saw 6 for Osweiler, you are right about the amount of attempts (Side effects of watching game at sports bar I guess...lol).

Still, Tannehill with less attempts per game has been far more effective then Osweiler, so unless Gase is an idiot (I don't think he is), my theory still is Gase has been trying to not over strain Tannehill who came back from surgery, not because he thinks Osweiler is better.

I think the major difference is that teams stacked the box and line with Osweiler at QB, not letting us run the ball with Tannehill it’s reverse, they are daring us to run the ball and aren’t stacking the box as much, hence the more even number of pass and run attempts

That tells you what Adam Gase really thinks of RT. His public endorsements are a deception.

I don't care who you have at QB, those were ****ing terrible play calls, and they weren't the first of their kind. I don't think Tannehill is anything special and am ready to move on, but this was certainly not on him.

Tanny has been babied ever since he first laid his suitcase down in Miami

Dan Marino was one of the best quarterbacks to ever play and a 1st ballot HOF'er, and even he had better competition at the backup position than Tannehill has ever had. Guys like Ron Jaworski, Bernie Kosar, Steve DeBerg, etc.

That's one of the main differences between the organization the Dolphins used to be and the embarrassment they've become.

Until they get the coach and quarterback position right they'll never compete.

I'll go beyond that. IMO, if your quarterback doesn't have a cannon arm then there should be a roster spot for that Hail Mary quarterback. It can pay off at the end of the half or end of the game, and the odds against that jump ball really aren't that lopsided.

Sports is still stuck in tradition and conservatism instead of bold grasp of squeezing that extra few percent here and there. In football there is no question that teams punt too often instead of risking 4th down. We punted early in today's game from maybe the Colts 43 and I thought it was a stupid choice. Giving the ball away via punt is like a half turnover. All the studies indicate as much.

However, by far the dumbest adherence to conventional wisdom in sports is the lack of switch putting in golf. That makes no sense whatsoever. It is far easier to putt right to left breaks as a right handed putter and left to right putts while putting lefty. The success rate backs that up. Yet you have everybody on tour volunteering the more difficult method and putting across your body half the time, instead of merely learning to switch putt.

Eventually that will change, as soon as some kid who starts switch putting at an early age makes a breakthrough at high level. Bryson DeChambeau is currently challenging many old truisms with successful results.

Laughable that switch hitting has been accepted in baseball for more than a century yet golf insists on standard and stale.
That probably exists, but the catch is the center/qb exchange, and they don't get to practice that almost at all anymore, so the coach probably isn't going to risk a new QB unless he must.

Still, the real problem is how statistics are kept. Just like errors in baseball, some INT's shouldn't be on the QB. If it bounces off of two WR's hands or a chest, the INT should be on the WR not the QB, ditto for running the wrong route, though whose fault that is would be too hard to determine, so that probably stays on the QB. Define "Hail Mary" as any throw of 20+ yards made with under 7 seconds remaining in the half/game. Those do not count against the QB. Simple, now you'll get more offense, like the NFL wants, and QB's will be willing to sling it. And all it really takes is a slight tweak to the stats that was needed all along.

I think this is simple.....on the last couple of series Gase coached scared. I don't think it is any more complicated than that.

Gase isnt calling anything different because of who he has at QB (or doesnt as the case may be)

All of this crap is analytics, that is what he bases all his calls on. It is down and distance, score and time on the clock.

****, the guy doesnt even check what opposing defenses are trying to do to exploit their weaknesses (or avoid their strengths.)

He's got his play sheet and a slide ruler. Cant even pay attention to what is happening on the field long enough to take a time out when the clock is rolling on him.

That probably exists, but the catch is the center/qb exchange, and they don't get to practice that almost at all anymore, so the coach probably isn't going to risk a new QB unless he must.

Still, the real problem is how statistics are kept. Just like errors in baseball, some INT's shouldn't be on the QB. If it bounces off of two WR's hands or a chest, the INT should be on the WR not the QB, ditto for running the wrong route, though whose fault that is would be too hard to determine, so that probably stays on the QB. Define "Hail Mary" as any throw of 20+ yards made with under 7 seconds remaining in the half/game. Those do not count against the QB. Simple, now you'll get more offense, like the NFL wants, and QB's will be willing to sling it. And all it really takes is a slight tweak to the stats that was needed all along.

I don't care about interception stats but obviously some of the quarterbacks do, the way they refuse to throw that Hail Mary. There's no way to adjust it out of your resume otherwise anything strange in the other direction would need to be adjusted also, like Tannehill's shovel pass to Wilson that earns credit for an 80 yard touchdown pass.

By far the most laughable example I've ever seen was Todd Marinovich at USC. Keep in mind I'm an alum so I was watching it closely and there were so many examples it was bizarre. USC would end up with the ball near midfield just before the half and only seconds remaining. Marinovich absolutely refused to throw that Hail Mary because he knew it would reveal his pathetic arm strength. He wanted to protect his NFL standing. Hey, it worked because he was a first round pick, even if he never deserved it.

Time and again Marinovich would wander around and allow himself to be sacked, instead of throwing that Hail Mary. He was so desperate to be sacked he would basically roll smack into the only rush man who was applying any pressure.

But one time the opponent only rushed three men, and none of them got close. Now Marinovich was stuck, and you could see the panic set in. He had no idea what to do. Finally he was bailed out. The lone running back broke free from pass protection and turned back to him. Salvation. Marinovich threw a 5 yard lollipop to a running back instead of the Hail Mary. There was a 10/90 mixture of laughter and disbelief in the stands. The 10% of us who had long recognized the refusal to throw the Hail Mary were laughing in hysterics. But the 90% who still viewed Marinovich as a normal quarterback who should throw a Hail Mary were in disbelief.

I mentioned this tendency on the Stardust Line radio handicapping program on KDWN in Las Vegas leading to the draft before Marinovich was picked. The host Arnie Lang refused to believe it. But it was a 50,000 watt station and a night program with a big audience throughout the west coast. Within minutes our phone lines lit up and several fellow Trojan fans called in to back me up on it. Lang was surprised...to put it mildly.

Back
Top Bottom