Barry Jackson: Dolphins excited about their Defensive Line | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson: Dolphins excited about their Defensive Line

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
• The Dolphins, who had some concerns about their defensive line after Jason Ferguson retired and Phillip Merling was injured, are feeling good about the unit, nine days into camp. Randy Starks and rookie Jared Odrick (``stout and has good pass rush moves,'' Jake Long said) have had good camps. Lionel Dotson has impressed the Dolphins with his improvement, and some other teams like his upside.

Miami likes Tony McDaniel and broached a contract extension, though McDaniel instead might test free agency next spring.
The Dolphins, who kept seven defensive linemen to start last season, have six safe bets in Odrick, Starks, Kendall Langford, McDaniel, Paul Soliai and Marques Douglas. It's a battle among Dotson, Charles Grant, Ryan Baker, Montavious Stanley and long shot Travis Ivey for at least one other spot. Dotson and Grant generated a strong pass rush in Saturday's practice.

• Not only has Brandon Marshall bolstered the offense, but he has done wonders for the players' psyche. ``It took us forever to score last year,'' Vernon Carey said. ``Now we can score quickly like other teams do.''

• When Koa Misi was ``about 10 years old,'' his father told him to watch Baltimore and ex-UM linebacker Ray Lewis. The studying paid dividends: Tony Sparano raved about how ``conscientious'' Misi is.
``He's going to be a hell of a player,'' Channing Crowder said. ``I'm excited about playing with him because his physicality really helps. I'm playing behind him, and he clears stuff out for me. He doesn't know anything about trying to save your body.''

• Cornerback Will Allen, who vowed in February that he would be a starter, told us, ``I got in a little trouble for that. I'm going to leave that fire alone.'' Allen remains with the second team. . . . Crowder, on second-team outside linebacker Ikaika Alama-Francis, the former defensive end who been one of camp's biggest surprises: ``Let's see what he can do in the open field. But teams will not run the ball his way -- he's as strong as an ox

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/08/07/1766361/abcs-van-gundy-heat-will-break.html#ixzz0w76pwm41

Really like the article, but hate when a player who gets a second chance to prove himself with an organization turns down a contract. Shows how some guys are loyal and others are not.

not everyone wants to return for what would right now most likely be less than market value long term...

sounds like odrick is doing work...

This is one of the strong positions on the team. I really like what I'm hearing about Odrick.

No, but we lost Merling. I am one that truly believes the Fins have updated at DL, rather than regressed cause of the lost of Merling. Really like the addition of Douglas and if Grant can turn around his career and meet his incentives we could be in real good shape.

I'm convinced that Odrick - even as a rookie - is a much better player than Merling. With Mering here, Odrick would have spent a lot more time splitting first team reps (best case scenario). M. Douglas is also an upgrade over Merling - for this year, anyway. And, if Grant plays motivated, he's a Pro Bowl caliber pass rusher. Big IF.

Nice to see that McDaniel has practiced his way to "safe" status. When you sign both a Marques Douglas and a Charles Grant to replace Phil Merling, that's a challenge put directly on McDaniel. But I've heard good things about what he's brought to the table in practices. The fact that McDaniel is considered a safe guy and they've even recently approached him about a contract extension shows me that he faced the challenge the right way.

I do think the defensive line will be a strength. I think the front seven will be a strength. The secondary will be the question mark, just as they were a year ago. Second year guys are not as bad as first year guys, but they're still not finished products. There will be growing pains with Vontae, Sean and Chris Clemons.

Two starting defensive linemen from the Jets and the Saints (Douglas and Grant) fighting just to make our second team.
NICE :)
~~~~~ GOOOOO FINS ~~~~~

very excited for ike. But teams will not run the ball his way -- he's as strong as an ox

Does it say "excited" in the article?

I bet Barry Jackson would like to know what he said

Man I am so excited I cant wait till Saturday..............the off-season seems so long.

I don't blame McDaniel. He probably feels he can get a starting job elsewhere and doesn't want to be a backup no more.

It makes sense to me, too. It's an awkward time for a player whose contract is up soon. Would you rather be a free agent if there is a lockout, or have a contract that might not get paid? If I was a player I'd like to keep my options open until the CBA sorts itself out.

Back
Top Bottom