Barry Jackson: Plenty Of Dolphins Veterans On The Roster Bubble | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson: Plenty Of Dolphins Veterans On The Roster Bubble

I agree he still does have some value, just not sure it's with us. How much someones willing to give up knowing his flaws, that's a tough one. It would be nice to get something for him. In a pass-heavy league, his options will be limited given his deficiencies in the passing game.

Exactly, not to mention he has the ‘dirty player’ label by some as well.

We tend to overvalue what our players can be traded for also.

I don't disagree too much with anything said here.

With that said, he still has value, and will continue to get playtime in this league. He'll make plays... he could be a solid 3rd LB for a team making a deep run in the playoffs.
You're thinking only on-the-field, but who's going to want to give up a draft pick in order to pay Kiko 6.5 million? Maybe Elway, but it's a longshot.

You're thinking only on-the-field, but who's going to want to give up a draft pick in order to pay Kiko 6.5 million? Maybe Elway, but it's a longshot.
True, but i could understand "eating" part of the salary if we got a 3rd out of it.

I may not agree, but I could understand.

True, but i could understand "eating" part of the salary if we got a 3rd out of it.

Not a single team is giving you better than a 5th, MAYBE a 4th, and that's *if* we eat his salary.

If you're a team with a *legit* shot at a superbowl, the money doesn't even come into question - that unused cap each team goes into the season with is used for exactly this purpose. And this same team, would be happy to give up a 5th or 6th round pick if you're telling them this gives them just that much more of a shot to a superbowl.

Say what you want about Kiko and his inconsistency at times... but he's going to make more positive splash plays than most guys... not a more important place for that then the playoffs.

Not a single team is giving you better than a 5th, MAYBE a 4th, and that's *if* we eat his salary.

I agree.

This thread, as with most threads, is talking hypotheticals though.

I believe Kiko is here for this year, and gone next. Same for Jones.

If someone should offer us a pick, it would be worth considering, as buying draft picks is a bit of a loophole in the system, in that money spent, is money that is already counting against the cap.

Do you think that Barry Jackson's article is just him speculating or maybe someone within the Dolphins inner sanctum deliberately leaked these names to put some heat on some veteran players to see how they respond? Coach Flores observed Belichick for many years and while Bill is extremely non-communicative to the media, sometimes deliberate leaks via trusted lieutenants probably occur to see how the players respond.
This may be akin to applying heat in certain chemical experiments. You stand back and watch what happens.

Barry does a lot of speculating, Armando is the most tapped in to the Dolphins' actual thinking

If you're a team with a *legit* shot at a superbowl, the money doesn't even come into question - that unused cap each team goes into the season with is used for exactly this purpose. And this same team, would be happy to give up a 5th or 6th round pick if you're telling them this gives them just that much more of a shot to a superbowl.

Say what you want about Kiko and his inconsistency at times... but he's going to make more positive splash plays than most guys... not a more important place for that then the playoffs.
There's actually a lot more cap space league-wide than I thought, looking at spotrac. About a third of the league wouldn't be able or willing to take on that kind of salary, including several contenders, but there are more options than I would've thought.

The next obstacle is fit and age, but there's a small chance. From the hip, the Chiefs are a team with cap space and desperate for defense, if the fit's right.

There's actually a lot more cap space league-wide than I thought, looking at spotrac. About a third of the league wouldn't be able or willing to take on that kind of salary, including several contenders, but there are more options than I would've thought.

The next obstacle is fit and age, but there's a small chance. From the hip, the Chiefs are a team with cap space and desperate for defense, if the fit's right.
Smaller than small. Even if the Phins picked up much of this years salary, He would have to restructure next season, or it's a 1 year rental situation. Something most teams probably would not be interested in giving up a mid rd pick for.

How many 5 7th picks make the plays Kiko does not many and before you respond look at what we spent on in the 2nd and 4 th rounds in the draft last year at the te position and what it produced last year. Not much.

How many 5 7th picks make the plays Kiko does not many and before you respond look at what we spent on in the 2nd and 4 th rounds in the draft last year at the te position and what it produced last year. Not much.
Anything beyond the third is a crap shoot, at best. You can find some positions to develop there, but it's very rare to get a starting caliber player, particularly on defense.

like I said, it happens, but not often. We have actually done fairly well over the years in the lower rounds. Then again, maybe it just seems that way because our top round guys, Minkah not withstanding, were not that great.

Anything beyond the third is a crap shoot, at best. You can find some positions to develop there, but it's very rare to get a starting caliber player, particularly on defense.

like I said, it happens, but not often. We have actually done fairly well over the years in the lower rounds. Then again, maybe it just seems that way because our top round guys, Minkah not withstanding, were not that great.
I agree which when every one gets worked up over a productive veteran for some mid round or lower pick I shake my head and laugh.

Surprised he didn't mention the safeties. I know they want to replace Reshad Jones and TJ McDonald if they're healthy. Not a peep about either not being on the roster.

Surprised he didn't mention the safeties. I know they want to replace Reshad Jones and TJ McDonald if they're healthy. Not a peep about either not being on the roster.
Rashad, due to his contract, is basically uncuttable/untradeable without taking a monetary beating, and I don't see any reason for getting rid of TJ. He may not be an elite cover guy, but he is versatile.

Back
Top Bottom