Barry Jackson: Shazier emerging as a real possibility for Dolphins at 19 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson: Shazier emerging as a real possibility for Dolphins at 19

Shazier's father, Vernon, has been the Dolphins’ chaplain for the past five seasons.At just over 6-1 and 237 pounds, Shazier wouldn’t be big enough to fit the prototype of former Dolphins personnel czars Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland. But Hickey has said he has no such size requirements with linebackers.

That's a pretty solid foot in the door that I was unaware of.
Athletic - check
Position of need - check
High character - probable check
Team connection - check
Joe probably knows his Dad pretty well and has been well briefed on Ryan's development.

I can see it now..."your gonna love The Ginn..er I mean Shazier family!" Dear God have we learned nothing. This pick would be a big mistake.

I can see it now..."your gonna love The Ginn..er I mean Shazier family!" Dear God have we learned nothing. This pick would be a big mistake.

This is a joke? Right?

I question the pick for 2 reasons.

1. I LOVE Shazier as a player, and we have a need at WLB. But does this fix our run defense? Yes, Shazier is an upgrade over Wheeler in pass coverage and can also be a terror on the blitz. However, Shazier won't be able to beat blocks with quickness alone like he did in college. He'll have to use his quickness to get to the proper spot and then engage at the point of attack with proper leverage. The scouts will have to be confident that he can do that and add a few more pounds on his frame.

2. Replacing Wheeler with Shazier is great, but now we still have Ellerbe at Mike. Was Ellerbe's bad year an abberation or is he just not suited for the middle? Can Shazier play the middle and have Ellerbe play the WLB like he did in the Raven's scheme? I'm not confident that keeping Ellerbe in the middle fixes the run defense.

I'm calling it... The sudden Shazier stuff is a cover up, probably for c.j. mosley

This is a joke? Right?

No. I think the kid was just great athletically at OSU but will be overmatched in The NFL. Also its Dion Jordan part II so why the need? If we draft him even partially because his dad is The Team Chaplain I will ****e myself.

I'm not sure i see all 237 lbs of him on YouTube. The guy is really fast for an lb for sure, but maybe looks 220. If he's 237 and moves like that, then sheesh...

Theres no doubt he has speed and some talent. Will he be able to do it in the NFL. So much faster, bigger, stronger.

strong safety from the waist down. that being said I know jack **** about strength training. can he add lower body strength without losing speed?

This dude looks freaky as hell with the no eyebrow look [url]http://www.10tv.com/content/images/sports/OSU-Football/2012/player-headshots-in-jerseys-2012/Shazier_Ryan_Jersey.JPG[/url][ /IMG][/QUOTE]

Shazier had a medical condition called alopecia which results in you losing all your hair. Not an issue for me. The guy is one of the fastest defensive players in this year's draft and he can add some weight. I also would take him before CJ Mosley.

I'm calling it... The sudden Shazier stuff is a cover up, probably for c.j. mosley

I just don't see it, Hickey is too smart for that. Drafting Mosley over Shazier would be like drafting Channing Crowder over Patrick Willis.
PLAYER ------HT--WT---college sr tackles-PBU-Sacks-FF--TFL
Patrick Willis 6-1, 239----------------137-----7-----3------2--11.5
Ryan Shazier 6-1, 237---------------144------4-----6------4--23

Last edited by a moderator:

at 19 there is no way the phins can even take a sniff at Mosley and a trade up for a LB is a horrid move with so many other needs

I feel like they are just getting playmakers on d.. Guys who take chances but come up with plays

Back
Top Bottom