Barry Jackson: Shazier emerging as a real possibility for Dolphins at 19 | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson: Shazier emerging as a real possibility for Dolphins at 19

I've had a top 10 grade on Shazier going back to the conclusion of his sophomore season. It was a little ridiculous how many discussions regarding Shazier potentially being a reach in the teens were going on around here.

Furthermore, nobody has ever seen a defensive lineman in the NFL move and explode the way Clowney can. Not even Julius Peppers in his prime could do what Clowney can do. It's insane. I remember me and j-off-her-doll having the discussion about all the scouts supposedly questioning Clowney's "motor" and criticizing his lack of production last year. Didn't buy it. First of all, this was a kid that had nothing left to prove. He had already proven what he was about the 2 years prior. This was a kid playing not to get hurt last year after watching what his teammate Marcus Lattimore went through. I felt like Clowney would "get it" so to speak, once he got in the NFL. He certainly gets it.

[video=youtube;4i9hvYtCk8A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4i9hvYtCk8A[/video]

[video=youtube;qLJiompbfqU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qLJiompbfqU[/video]

The funny thing is, that incredible plays that he made in college displaying freakish speed and athleticism, especially the play against Michigan in the bowl game that boosted him into superstardom, he's been doing the exact same thing against NFL competition. Whether it's in camp or in pre-season games. Make sure to click on the link below also. Not bad for a kid recovering from sports hernia surgery....

--------> http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ows-freakish-speed-spares-rb-at-training-camp

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a top 10 grade on Shazier going back to the conclusion of his sophomore season. It was a little ridiculous how many discussions regarding Shazier potentially being a reach in the teens were going on around here.

Furthermore, nobody has ever seen a defensive lineman in the NFL move and explode the way Clowney can. Not even Julius Peppers in his prime could do what Clowney can do. It's insane. I remember me and j-off-her-doll having the discussion about all the scouts supposedly questioning Clowney's "motor" and criticizing his lack of production last year. Didn't buy it. First of all, this was a kid that had nothing left to prove. He had already proven what he was about the 2 years prior. This was a kid playing not to get hurt last year after watching what his teammate Marcus Lattimore went through. I felt like Clowney would "get it" so to speak, once he got in the NFL. He certainly gets it.

[video=youtube;4i9hvYtCk8A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4i9hvYtCk8A[/video]

[video=youtube;qLJiompbfqU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qLJiompbfqU[/video]

The funny thing is, that incredible plays that he made in college displaying freakish speed and athleticism, especially the play against Michigan in the bowl game that boosted him into superstardom, he's been doing the exact same thing against NFL competition. Whether it's in camp or in pre-season games. Make sure to click on the link below also. Not bad for a kid recovering from sports hernia surgery....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ows-freakish-speed-spares-rb-at-training-camp

You were definitely the first person I saw hyping Shazier as a top 10 player. Two weeks in, the two best athletes on D from the 2014 draft look like the two best players from that class. Once Robinson catches up, I expect him to show as well. Not surprised that it's taking him a little longer - given his position.

Hey, something I wanted bring up earlier in the process. I haven't seen you make any mention of Jimmie Ward. Could have been something I missed, but I'm interested to see how you think he'll do in SF, and I'm curious to see if you think he'll ultimately play FS or remain as the slot CB.

You were definitely the first person I saw hyping Shazier as a top 10 player. Two weeks in, the two best athletes on D from the 2014 draft look like the two best players from that class. Once Robinson catches up, I expect him to show as well. Not surprised that it's taking him a little longer - given his position.

Hey, something I wanted bring up earlier in the process. I haven't seen you make any mention of Jimmie Ward. Could have been something I missed, but I'm interested to see how you think he'll do in SF, and I'm curious to see if you think he'll ultimately play FS or remain as the slot CB.

My guess is that the 49ers hope Ward will take over the FS spot at some point once he learns the defensive calls. I doubt they burned a 1st round pick to keep him as a nickel back.

I think they'll try to duplicate a little bit what division for Seattle has at the two safety spots. Ward being their version of a little undersized ballhawking safety in the mold of Earl Thomas that also has cornerback type cover skills. While Eric Reid plays the Kam Chancellor role of a big, fast, physical enforcer.

I believe that pretty much should be blueprint for any secondary that aspires to be championship caliber. If you don't have these type players on the back end of your secondary, and I'm speaking of high quality here.... you're probably struggling defensively.

Still clown shoes?? http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...elers-rookie-lb-ryan-shazier-awesome-in-debut
It will come down between him and Clowny for ROY. And no Landry won't be 3rd.

:lol: i guess i need to see this...about time you guys may have hit on one if it's legit...mosley is a starting backer for the ravens also between...so far the athletes great the inside tackle run d play is not although he's been a little better at the poa than i expected shedding no doubt a function of the weight gain ....manuel with a bad decision pick by shazier...ball can't be placed there either out in front or nowhere but feather in the lbs cap no doubt...

i never questioned the playmaker i questioned the lb...and i still do...the athletes filthy...but i like this call me out stuff...one preseason game and you grow some balls...lmao

the difference between me and most the "gurus" here or some of the other after the facters is if he does show to be legit and i am wrong i will admit it...i won't try and spin it...that and he's not playing mike which is what miamis biggest need on defense was...where the read and diag stand out

My guess is that the 49ers hope Ward will take over the FS spot at some point once he learns the defensive calls. I doubt they burned a 1st round pick to keep him as a nickel back.

I think they'll try to duplicate a little bit what division for Seattle has at the two safety spots. Ward being their version of a little undersized ballhawking safety in the mold of Earl Thomas that also has cornerback type cover skills. While Eric Reid plays the Kam Chancellor role of a big, fast, physical enforcer.

I believe that pretty much should be blueprint for any secondary that aspires to be championship caliber. If you don't have these type players on the back end of your secondary, and I'm speaking of high quality here.... you're probably struggling defensively.

This is pretty much my line of thinking, and why I had Ward (not specifically for SF) as my 10th rated guy. It seems to me that a true cover FS is one of the rarer commodities in the NFL and one of the most valuable. I had Earl Thomas as DPOTY for 2013, because I feel he was the most indispensable player on a great D. Lot of reasons to knock Ward as a prospect - small school, small player, had an injury heading into the draft. As far as skill set, though, the league is full of guys like Clinton-Dix and Calvin Pryor. Not a lot of guys who have great range and instincts at FS and teh ability to come down and cover in the slot - not to mention his sound tackling. I'm happy with what James has shown in pass protection, but I would have really liked Jimmie Ward to pair with R. Jones. Obviously, I wanted Shazier at 19, but with Shazier off the board, I would have opted for Jimmie Ward.

Always appreciated, Slimm.

:lol: i guess i need to see this...about time you guys may have hit on one if it's legit...mosley is a starting backer for the ravens also between...so far the athletes great the inside tackle run d play is not although he's been a little better at the poa than i expected shedding no doubt a function of the weight gain ....manuel with a bad decision pick by shazier...ball can't be placed there either out in front or nowhere but feather in the lbs cap no doubt...

i never questioned the playmaker i questioned the lb...and i still do...the athletes filthy...but i like this call me out stuff...one preseason game and you grow some balls...lmao

the difference between me and most the "gurus" here or some of the other after the facters is if he does show to be legit and i am wrong i will admit it...i won't try and spin it...that and he's not playing mike which is what miamis biggest need on defense was...where the read and diag stand out

I'm curious to see how Mosley progresses. I think he has a solid chance to become a very good, and maybe even great, LB, but I also think he has a good chance to be a middle-of-the-road starting LB.

I'm curious to see how Mosley progresses. I think he has a solid chance to become a very good, and maybe even great, LB, but I also think he has a good chance to be a middle-of-the-road starting LB.

covering all your bases aren't we :lol: you may be right...somewhere in there lol

If I had to guess, I'd say he'll be a solid LB. I'm just saying that he has a lot more bust potential than does Shazier.

i have no doubts your boy will provide more splash plays...but mosleys looked pretty positionally sound to me thus far in his own right...and has what i would consider more responsibility and less ability to say free lance...

shazier wasnt all that great trying to cover that bills tight end chandler i think his name is...

don't watch the eagles game tape if you think he's patrick willis all over again...it won't help the cause...smoked in man coverage and showed no instincts all athlete against the run game...pittsburgh better let that kid do what he does best...blitz...weight gain shows more strength at the poa admittedly but the lb play concerns are still all evident...

I am no fan of PFF, but there are some contrasting opinions about how well Shazier actually played. I was half watching the Pitt/Philly game, and he stood out on a few plays, but I didnt get to see the plays he missed.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/08/25/first-round-first-impressions-updated/2/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/08/21/outside-the-box-ryan-shazier/

i think they have it covered pretty good...hes being exposed in coverage not showing awareness with it more than anything and the inside run d leaves a lot to be desired...teams are gonna attack him in coverage...its not a natural look for him...

interesting that they grade jawaun james down in pass pro...i saw him get beat and hold on the left tackle play but i thought he recovered pretty well laterally when he lost early to ride a guy the extra time a qb needs at right tackle when he did have a couple hiccups...they make a good point that the dallas edge players arent very good obviously

cj mosley was pretty much the best player on the field for the ravens sunday...this shazier mosley thing is pretty much a landslide right now...:lol:

fapmeme_171002145038-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom