Baseball vs. Football | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Baseball vs. Football

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
There is no question that football is the ultimate team sport, which makes comparing players very difficult.

In baseball, for example, you can take Alex Rodriguez and put him on any team and he's still a hall of famer. Granted ARod in Colorado might hit 7-10 homeruns more a year, but basically he's going to put up great numbers wherever he goes.

In football, that's not the case. If Steve Young played his entire career in Tampa Bay he'd, most likely, be talked about as one of the biggest busts ever. In SF, he had the team around him and now is going to be elected into the hall of fame. I wonder what players like Steve Bartkowski might have achieved on a better team or Archie Manning.

I can only wonder what a rookie Dan Marino would have done for the 2004 Dolphins. Better than Feeley I'm sure, but I'm also pretty sure he would have struggled. Just something to think about as we try to find out whether or not Feeley can be the guy for this franchise.

Well, one thing is for sure, if a "Rookie Dan Marino" were to start for the 2004 Dolphins... I bet he'd hate playing on that damn baseball infield for 4 months of the season too!

I wish Baseball's union would take some tips from Hockey's union and take a year or three off...

dominizzo said:
Feeley is no good

Great post. I especially like your in-depth explanation as to why you feel that way. Whats so bad about Feeley? It was his first year in a new offense behind a horrible o-line and no run game. He stayed tough and improved as the year wore on. I don't care if it was Manning, Brady or the great Marino, they all would've had a poor year in that offense. Infact, did anybody see how Brady played under pressure. Think back to the Monday night thriller or when they lost to Pittsburgh because of a lack of run game. Out of his element, Brady was no where near as effective.
Why don't you guys let Feeley decide his own fate? If he fails, fine, you were right and i'll be happy to apoligize and admit i'm wrong. At least give him the benefit of the doubt.

Finz Fury said:
Great post. I especially like your in-depth explanation as to why you feel that way. Whats so bad about Feeley? It was his first year in a new offense behind a horrible o-line and no run game. He stayed tough and improved as the year wore on. I don't care if it was Manning, Brady or the great Marino, they all would've had a poor year in that offense. Infact, did anybody see how Brady played under pressure. Think back to the Monday night thriller or when they lost to Pittsburgh because of a lack of run game. Out of his element, Brady was no where near as effective.
Why don't you guys let Feeley decide his own fate? If he fails, fine, you were right and i'll be happy to apoligize and admit i'm wrong. At least give him the benefit of the doubt.

LMAO @ "especially like your in-depth explanation as to why you feel that way."
:rofl3:

I agree. I don't think too many qb's would have done much with all the problems the Dolphins had on offense last year. When a qb takes three-step drops and is hit immediately (as happened quite a bit w/Feeley and Fiedler last year) it's tough to produce.

The jury is definitely out on Feeley, but I hope he has a good year and proves to be at least better than average. If not, the Dolphins will be set back a bit as they try to find the qb of the future.

Football is a symphony; every section of the orchestra needing to act in concert to create a product much more significant than the sum of its parts.

Football is ballet; each player dancing his part according to the plan of the choreographer, to make the production successful - the twirling beauty of a prima ballerina's leap no more important than the performance of the dancer who catches her.

Baseball is like watching a scab form over a wound.

NaboCane said:
Football is a symphony; every section of the orchestra needing to act in concert to create a product much more significant than the sum of its parts.

Football is ballet; each player dancing his part according to the plan of the choreographer, to make the production successful - the twirling beauty of a prima ballerina's leap no more important than the performance of the dancer who catches her.

No disrespect but please don't ever compare football to ballet again it creeps me out!

Let me try that again in English

NaboCane said:

Baseball is a chess game, slowly developing over nine innings, a series, a season. Every move needs to be well-thought out but streaked with experience and brilliance.

Baseball is a technical masterpiece. Anyone can catch a football or tackle someone (sorry, guys, it's true), but most people can't hit a 95 mph fastball tailing in towards their hands as they swing or a 75 mph curveball that drops from nose to toes.

Biochem said:
I wish Baseball's union would take some tips from Hockey's union and take a year or three off...

How about a decade? Or forever.

Baseball is organized procrastination or group loitering, or any other description of occupying space and time without threat of activity. Yeah, let's play every day, you win today and I'll win tomorrow and we'll both pretend a .600 winning percentage is remarkable. Let's debate specialization a full five decades after football realized a one-platoon game was detracting from quality of play.

Wake me when the playoffs begin. Those are intense and great theater. I literally don't know which teams are in first place and which ones are in last until that point.

On edit: one more hilarity regarding baseball, the myth that hitting a baseball is the "most difficult thing in sports. In what other activity is 3 out of 10 considered great?"

Hello? Is anyone ever paying attention when that flubber is repeated. It's 1 on 9, folks. A slight factor, don't you think? Make tennis 1 on 9 and suddenly holding serve is the hardest thing in sports. I could go on and on.

I just don't know why everyone insists on bashing things simply because they don't like them (other than the Patriots, Jets, and Bills, of course :))

Finz Fury said:
I'm sure he would if people didn't bring up the same thing over and over. Its a little pointless posting the same rebuttle in countess posts. You have fun with that though :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom