Battles On The Offensive Line Figure To Highlight Training Camp | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Battles On The Offensive Line Figure To Highlight Training Camp

Very nice writeup, and I agree your final conclusion could end that exact way, but have a feeling the 2nd wave of FA will give us at least one more competing body for camp.

I’m not expecting much outside help since there isn’t much of it out there.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/offensive-line/available/

I think it’s a “run what ya brung” year.

Marcus Martin was the only real name that caught my eye. Other than a couple of others that made me go "ha! I remember that guy" (the Bama Guards, TJ Clemmings to name a few).

But Martin is only 25 years old, was a G/C prospect coming out of USC. Played for the Cowboys last year. Looks like he has had some injury concerns (not unexpected with this flock of free agency).

I could see him competing with Kilgore and providing a little depth if he goes down.

Tunsil is the only one I feel comfortable with. So that's 4 Q marks on the OL. Going to be a rough rough year.

There is enough talent at the skill positions that IF the Fins O Line is solid it will be a fair evaluation of Rosen.

But if he plays behind a bad O Line it will look a lot like Arizona

The Miami Dolphins have added quite a few offensive lineman in free agency and in the draft, along with losing starting right tackle Ja'Wuan James. These battles will be fun to watch in the summer with lots of options on where players end up.

Left Tackle --- No battle here. It's Laremy's Tunsil job. If Tunsil goes down, Michael Deiter has some experience playing left tackle. Tunsil is already one of the best young tackles in football and a building block for this line.

Left Guard --- Deiter and Chris Reed, who was signed as a free agent from Jacksonville, could battle here. Deiter's versatility is a big key to how battles shape up. He can play center, guard or tackle and could be an option at RT.

Center -- The assumption is Daniel Kilgore wins this job, but he could have competition from Reed, Deiter and maybe even Isaac Asiata. Asiata gets new life with a staff that seems to want more physical offensive lineman.

Right Guard -- This position seems really up in the air. Jesse Davis and Reed are probably the leading candidates. Davis can play RT so maybe that gives Reed the lead here. Asiata and undrafted rookie free agent Shaq Calhoun seemingly are long-shots. Sixth round pick Isaiah Prince could be another option if Miami decides to move him inside.

Right Tackle -- This could be one of the biggest battles of the summer and another player currently not on the team could be added to the mix. Davis and Prince would seem like the leading candidates. Deiter is another option.

In the end, I think it will shape up this way:
LT -- Tunsil
LG -- Deiter
C -- Kilgore
RG -- Reed
RT -- Davis

I'll call Kilgore 'decent' at OC. Deiter and Tunsil fill out the left. What's needed now is one 'surprise' at RG or RT, either from FA or in-house. Not the best OL, but could be good enough to get a look at Rosen.

Hoping Deiter starts at LG. Get to learning he ropes fast. Hopefully he’s a sponge ready to absorb information

I see the starting 5 shaking out like you do, SF. Davis as the RT since a 6th rounder would be probably a bit rough starting. Definitely could see another veteran or two added to the lineup. Still not sure why we didn’t bring Swanson back.depth at the very least

Tunsil is the only one I feel comfortable with. So that's 4 Q marks on the OL. Going to be a rough rough year.
Will likely have to spend a couple of high picks next year on the offensive line. Lots of picks should help!

Will likely have to spend a couple of high picks next year on the offensive line. Lots of picks should help!

Agreed, but will be hard to truly evaluate Rosen this year. Some think he will be gone if he doesn't get us a certain amount of wins.

Agreed, but will be hard to truly evaluate Rosen this year. Some think he will be gone if he doesn't get us a certain amount of wins.
That could be the dilemma. I think the team would maybe roll with Prince at RT if Fitzpatrick were the starter. I think that is too risky with Rosen.

The key is going to be the running game and being able to take some pressure off the quarterback. Of course, we've been saying that for years.

That could be the dilemma. I think the team would maybe roll with Prince at RT if Fitzpatrick were the starter. I think that is too risky with Rosen.

The key is going to be the running game and being able to take some pressure off the quarterback. Of course, we've been saying that for years.

Yup, will be interesting how they play the QBs with the shitty line we have.

Yup, will be interesting how they play the QBs with the ****ty line we have.

With this line, I don't think there's a chance in hell that one QB plays the entire year without injury. We're going to see plenty of Rosen and Cakeman under Center.

With this line, I don't think there's a chance in hell that one QB plays the entire year without injury. We're going to see plenty of Rosen and Cakeman under Center.

And I have a feeling people(fans) are going to give up on Rosen bc of it.

I suspect the coaches evaluation of the performance they see from the OL prior to our first game will, to some degree, dictate who the coaches start at QB.

I would not be surprised if Fitz starts out as our QB with Rosin coming in AFTER the offensive line gels. This is because we have less to lose if Fitz gets hurt or performs poorly.

If Fitz plays well he will stay in with occasional uses of Rosen to see if he can function reasonably well with a new team and under a new staffs (for him and the team) playbook.

If Rosen is a mess, then it's back to Fitz. If Rosen is successful, he will be used more and more, eventually starting.

Nothing fancy or startling in this approach. Just a sensible approach to using two QB's as assets during a new staffs 1st year re-developing a team.

PS: This type of planning would be backed up by trying to get a good, not average, 3rd QB. It looks like they are trying to do this by bringing in and looking at a lot of potential 3rd string QB's.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom