Battles On The Offensive Line Figure To Highlight Training Camp | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Battles On The Offensive Line Figure To Highlight Training Camp

All these messages seem over focused on the passing game.

Isn't there something called a delayed draw and something else called the Quarterback sneak that are available to defeat a heavy pass rush? While a QB sneak is usually thought of as a very short range plunge, can't it also be used to make slightly longer (3 or so yards) runs and disrupt a rush where the defense is looking to exploit gaps as opposed to man to man assignments?

Aren't these techniques known to our new coaching staff?

It seems to me a broader view of the game and long established methods used to run the ball are being COMPLETLY IGNORED. I'm not espousing the flying wedge, although my maternal grandfather ran it as a halfback for Vanderbilt in the late 1890's, back when men were men and cry-babies wore lace.

For those unfamiliar with the flying wedge, the halfback wore a board with handles attached to his back. The players in the offensive backfield would grab him by those handles and throw him over the offensive and hopefully the defensive line while the offence proceeded down the field in a wedge shaped phalange.

If I am banking on any of the oline it would be the coach. Tunsil has had a pattern of getting nicked, one of our Elite posters mentioned Dieter looked pretty poor in the senior bowl practices. So these are our studs everyone else so far are journey men material until proven otherwise. Now if we have the right oline coach liked we had back in Shulas day that's a different story. That dude was like Rizzi and make oline players shine.

The Miami Dolphins have added quite a few offensive lineman in free agency and in the draft, along with losing starting right tackle Ja'Wuan James. These battles will be fun to watch in the summer with lots of options on where players end up.

Left Tackle --- No battle here. It's Laremy's Tunsil job. If Tunsil goes down, Michael Deiter has some experience playing left tackle. Tunsil is already one of the best young tackles in football and a building block for this line.

Left Guard --- Deiter and Chris Reed, who was signed as a free agent from Jacksonville, could battle here. Deiter's versatility is a big key to how battles shape up. He can play center, guard or tackle and could be an option at RT.

Center -- The assumption is Daniel Kilgore wins this job, but he could have competition from Reed, Deiter and maybe even Isaac Asiata. Asiata gets new life with a staff that seems to want more physical offensive lineman.

Right Guard -- This position seems really up in the air. Jesse Davis and Reed are probably the leading candidates. Davis can play RT so maybe that gives Reed the lead here. Asiata and undrafted rookie free agent Shaq Calhoun seemingly are long-shots. Sixth round pick Isaiah Prince could be another option if Miami decides to move him inside.

Right Tackle -- This could be one of the biggest battles of the summer and another player currently not on the team could be added to the mix. Davis and Prince would seem like the leading candidates. Deiter is another option.

In the end, I think it will shape up this way:
LT -- Tunsil
LG -- Deiter
C -- Kilgore
RG -- Reed
RT -- Davis
Good evaluation. I think they add another free agent or two into the mix.

All these messages seem over focused on the passing game.

Isn't there something called a delayed draw and something else called the Quarterback sneak that are available to defeat a heavy pass rush? While a QB sneak is usually thought of as a very short range plunge, can't it also be used to make slightly longer (3 or so yards) runs and disrupt a rush where the defense is looking to exploit gaps as opposed to man to man assignments?

Aren't these techniques known to our new coaching staff?

It seems to me a broader view of the game and long established methods used to run the ball are being COMPLETLY IGNORED. I'm not espousing the flying wedge, although my maternal grandfather ran it as a halfback for Vanderbilt in the late 1890's, back when men were men and cry-babies wore lace.

For those unfamiliar with the flying wedge, the halfback wore a board with handles attached to his back. The players in the offensive backfield would grab him by those handles and throw him over the offensive and hopefully the defensive line while the offence proceeded down the field in a wedge shaped phalange.
Flying Wedge on three! Break!
upload_2019-5-8_23-36-57.jpeg

I think people are giving Deiter too much credit. He will probably start at LG, and be an average starter. But he is no pro bowler, I doubt he will be a top guard ever.

Reed? Also over-rated on here. He will probably start at RG, but the guy was a backup in Jacksonville. Very strong, but also just an average starter.

Kilgore is also average, will start too.

That Jordan Mills signing is probably your lead horse as the starting right tackle.

Couldn’t just leave is status quo

Kilgore’s a jag. As meh as it gets on tbe pivot

I think people are giving Deiter too much credit. He will probably start at LG, and be an average starter. But he is no pro bowler, I doubt he will be a top guard ever.

Reed? Also over-rated on here. He will probably start at RG, but the guy was a backup in Jacksonville. Very strong, but also just an average starter.

Kilgore is also average, will start too.

Tunsil and 3 average interior guys is a better OL than last years' OL. One above average RT away from middle of NFL. Hey, I can dream. And I STILL think a good OL coach will help a lot.

I hear if you let an epipen sit 12 months past its expiration, it turns into adrenochrome and turns you into a beast...Just sayin' it's probably our only shot at a dominant Oline.

LT Tunsil = Tunsil
LG Larsen ? Reed, Deiter (up in the air)
C Swanson = Kilgore (slight edge to Kilgore but he's coming off injury)
RG Davis = Davis
RT James > Mills (x5)

How is the 2019 line better than 2018?

Back
Top Bottom