BCS is shaping up.... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

BCS is shaping up....

MikeO said:
Penn St and Iowa aren't very good. Penn St won't finished hte season ranked. And Iowa isn't good at all this year.

Umm, you will notice that I said their ranking when they played.
And do not diminish the ability of Iowa because of some bad games. Going into Iowa City and leaving with a win is no easy task.

And I notice that you are talking about the schedule of Ohio State here obviously.

Give me a break. By season's end in all likelyhood, Ohio State will have played THREE #1 vs. #2 match ups. Let's not talk about schedule strength. That has NEVER been done before. I'd say that's the schedule that all others are judged by. PERIOD. Not to mention the #13, #22 games when the other teams were played as well.

You have no argument here at all.

MikeO said:
You will NEVER see a playoff. Because with a playoff that means the Bowls go away. And these bowls have been too good to these college presidents and conferences for over 60 years!!!!!!! The presidents won't ever turn their backs on the bowls.

The day you have a playoff, the bowls go away. IT will never happen. (and baseball is played by PROFESSIONALS) these are college kids playing for "free"

And you can't use the current bowl sites to host games. For example......If your a Michigan fan. In a 16 team tourny that is 4 games. Your telling me the Michigan fans will travel to 4 different sites to watch the team play????? NO CHANCE IN HELL!!! They will wait till the final game and go to that one. One week Michigan is in the Peach Bowl in Atlanta, all the fans will travel there. The following week in San Diego for the Holiday Bowl, all of the fans will pack up 6 days later and travel there. Then the next week to the Orange Bowl in a semi-final, pack up on 6 days notice fly there. Then go where ever for the final game.

Not to mention you will give 1 school 4 bowl payouts. While a school who maybe ended the year 9-2 but ranked #17th or #18th has NO postseason bowl games and stays at home and collects no money!!! :sidelol: :sidelol: Good luck getting the college presidents to agree to that!

I never said they couldn't play other bowls. I just said that only 16 teams would be in the playoff race. As to the 4 bowl payouts, you could just make the payouts in relation to where the team ends up, not 4 payouts. It could be one payout because you made the playoffs, and for example the team that finishes #5 in the playoffs would get more than the #12 team. And I never said the playoff system didn't have flaws either.

And as to the "NO CHANCE IN HELL" fans would travel to 4 sites, you'd be surprised at to what some fans would be willing to do.

Edit: The only reason I mentioned baseball, was because of how long it went, and that I think it is too long. And most college players get thier schooling paid for and some get stipends, so they aren't exactly playing for "free." They do get some compensation.

MikeO said:
NO it doesn't make sense.

Say, Mich beats Ohio St. Say along the road L'ville loses. Now you have only 1 unbeaten team. Mich goes to the BCS bowl, beats Florida for example.

Now you have a + 1 game. Only 1 unbeaten team. Mich already beat ND, Florida, and Ohio St. Why should Mich have to win another game, they clearly are the champs!!!!!
Thats why I said later on in the thread that there is no perfect system.

The ONLY answer is this. The ONLY way you can play for the national title is IF you win your conference.

So, that means the year Oklahoma lost the Big 12 title game they shouldn't have played for it all. That means this year the loser of OhioSt/Mich gets no rematch.

If the BCS did that........pretty much all debates would be over. Now, how the conference decides their conference champ is up to them. Some conferences have a title game some don't. But that is up to the conference in the end. So, for example that would mean this year you end up with.....Mich,L'ville,BC,Florida,Texas,Cal. ND get's screwed on this but hey, they can't have their cake and eat it too.

That is 6 schools. Hopefully out of 6 you can figure out the best 2. If not, then you leave the door open to a +1 game. Doesn't mean it will take place every year. But say for this year. You have Florida-Mich in one bowl. And then L'ville-Texas in the other. And Florida wins and you still have L'ville unbeaten. Then do a +1 game a few weeks later.

But say L'ville loses at some point, then the Florida-Mich winner is the champ. No +1 game necessary.

THAT is the answer!!!!! Just have that 1 game in your back-pocket at all times.

OSUDauby said:
Umm, you will notice that I said their ranking when they played.
And do not diminish the ability of Iowa because of some bad games. Going into Iowa City and leaving with a win is no easy task.

And I notice that you are talking about the schedule of Ohio State here obviously.

Give me a break. By season's end in all likelyhood, Ohio State will have played THREE #1 vs. #2 match ups. Let's not talk about schedule strength. That has NEVER been done before. I'd say that's the schedule that all others are judged by. PERIOD. Not to mention the #13, #22 games when the other teams were played as well.

You have no argument here at all.

Sure I do. You played iowa and penn st. Where they WERE ranked then and where they finish is important. If both teams finish unranked, then it means they aren't very good. And yes they were ranked when you beat them, that just means they were overhyped and frauds!!!

Meaning your schedule isn't what it looked like it was. Look you won at Texas great win. You have a chance to beat Mich great win. You got LUCKY by not having to play Wisconsin. And the rest of your schedule isn't that impressive.

I don't think it would make sense to have a +1 game some of the time.

MikeO said:
The ONLY answer is this. The ONLY way you can play for the national title is IF you win your conference.

So, that means the year Oklahoma lost the Big 12 title game they shouldn't have played for it all. That means this year the loser of OhioSt/Mich gets no rematch.
Good post. I definitely agree with this part.

Frisches13283 said:
I never said they couldn't play other bowls. I just said that only 16 teams would be in the playoff race. As to the 4 bowl payouts, you could just make the payouts in relation to where the team ends up, not 4 payouts. It could be one payout because you made the playoffs, and for example the team that finishes #5 in the playoffs would get more than the #12 team. And I never said the playoff system didn't have flaws either.

And as to the "NO CHANCE IN HELL" fans would travel to 4 sites, you'd be surprised at to what some fans would be willing to do.

You can't have a playoff and other bowls. Then you make the other bowls like the NIT in basketball and nobody will care. If your the CAPITAL ONE BOWL, and you have the likes of let's say Pittsburgh vs Iowa playing in it. Why would Capital One put up the money for that bowl nobody will watch or care about??? When they could pull out, take those millions of $$$ and just buy a ton of advertising on TV in the TOURNAMENT GAMES which everyone will be watching.

And no, normal fans can't afford to make 3 or 4 trips across the country to watch their football team play on consecutive weeks. Most "normal" fans have jobs and family's. Making it impossible

Motion said:
Good post. I definitely agree.

Only part I don't like with that(the only part) is the other conferences would never have a shot(much like they don't now). I didn't say I don't agree with it, I just said I don't like it.

MikeO said:
You can't have a playoff and other bowls. Then you make the other bowls like the NIT in basketball and nobody will care. If your the CAPITAL ONE BOWL, and you have the likes of let's say Pittsburgh vs Iowa playing in it. Why would Capital One put up the money for that bowl nobody will watch or care about??? When they could pull out, take those millions of $$$ and just buy a ton of advertising on TV in the TOURNAMENT GAMES which everyone will be watching.

And no, normal fans can't afford to make 3 or 4 trips across the country to watch their football team play on consecutive weeks. Most "normal" fans have jobs and family's. Making it impossible

And I'd still watch and care about the other bowl games. But I do understand what you are saying from a business standpoint.

I agree most normal fans, that's why I said some.

Frisches13283 said:
Only part I don't like with that(the only part) is the other conferences would never have a shot(much like they don't now). I didn't say I don't agree with it, I just said I don't like it.

Ok, so maybe leave 1 spot open for ND and the Boise St/C-USA/MWC types then. Group them all together and give them 1 spot in this.

MikeO said:

Does anybody not a Pitt or Iowa fan care now?

MikeO said:
Ok, so maybe leave 1 spot open for ND and the Boise St/C-USA/MWC types then. Group them all together and give them 1 spot in this.

Can you group the MAC with that? And maybe if there are 2 teams that deserve it, you use a "play in' game like the 16a/16b game in march madness? I know there aren't 2 teams ths year, just at some point there may be 2 undefeateds or something.

Frisches13283 said:
Can you group the MAC with that? And maybe if there are 2 teams that deserve it, you use a "play in' game like the 16a/16b game in march madness? I know there aren't 2 teams ths year, just at some point there may be 2 undefeateds or something.

yeah whatever. All of thsoe small conferences group them together with ND.

It won't matter 99% of the time. You don't need a play in game becuase its not a tournament. You just look at the conference champs to decide who plays for it all.

MikeO said:
yeah whatever. All of thsoe small conferences group them together with ND.

It won't matter 99% of the time. You don't need a play in game becuase its not a tournament. You just look at the conference champs to decide who plays for it all.

Well I know it's not a playoff, you just said decide 1 spot from those conferences, and if there were 2 undefeateds, it might be tough(but yes, 99% of the time it won't matter. I just want to see that 1% is all, which is why I want a 16+ team playoff).

Back
Top Bottom