BCS Stupidity turns pro! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

BCS Stupidity turns pro!

Originally posted by Expo88

I believe it's the other way around with the AP going with the BS poll and the Coaches voting independantly.

Nope ... the AP (writers') poll is not bound to the BCS championship game winner; the ESPN/CNN/USA Today/Piggly Wiggly (coaches') poll is contractually bound to name the championship game winner as champion. The coaches are only allowed to vote on #2 through 25. I wouldn't be surprised, though, to see a few symbolic protesters vote the Sugar Bowl winner as #2 this year.

Originally posted by DolphinzD
To apply the who-beat-who logic to 2000, the team that really should have been in was Washington, because they beat Miami, and Miami beat FSU.

i would have no problem seeing that washington team in the orange bowl, they beat us fair and square...heck, they probably would have scored more than the ZERO fsu put up:lol:

Originally posted by Fiedler for MVP

i would have no problem seeing that washington team in the orange bowl, they beat us fair and square...heck, they probably would have scored more than the ZERO fsu put up:lol:

Hey now, don't forget about that garbage safety at the end!! In some ways, FSU's final total of 2 was almost funnier than a shutout because it showed that only an Oklahoma screw-up gave them points (or choice, I can't remember the nature of how the safety was scored).

Originally posted by DrAstroZoom

Nope ... the AP (writers') poll is not bound to the BCS championship game winner; the ESPN/CNN/USA Today/Piggly Wiggly (coaches') poll is contractually bound to name the championship game winner as champion. The coaches are only allowed to vote on #2 through 25. I wouldn't be surprised, though, to see a few symbolic protesters vote the Sugar Bowl winner as #2 this year.

Hmmm, I thought I heard it the other way. At any rate, I think the best way they could screw the BS poll would be to boycott the voting altogether. That would be awesome!

Originally posted by Expo88

Hmmm, I thought I heard it the other way. At any rate, I think the best way they could screw the BS poll would be to boycott the voting altogether. That would be awesome!

Here's a pretty good article on the whole mess and some possible solutions: What now for the BCS?

I pulled a couple paragraphs that answer your question:

If Michigan can upset Southern Cal in the Rose Bowl, the winner of the Sugar Bowl will be crowned the champion in both The Associated Press and the coaches' polls because only one team will be left with one loss.

But if Southern Cal wins, there's a good chance of a split. Coaches don't even vote for the top team in their poll because of an agreement that automatically awards their trophy to the winner of the BCS title game. Voters in the AP poll do select a No. 1 team, however, and no team that went into a bowl ranked No. 1 and won ever fell out of that top spot.

Originally posted by DolphinDevil28
LSU IS THE BEST TEAM IN THE COUNTRY

Yep! Mauck (from my home town and his mom was my 2nd grade teacher) and Clayton, and that defense will win whatever bowl they play.

This whole BCS stuff is a bunch of BS. A novel idea would have a playoff with only 8 teams. But then again, college football is as corrupt as Martha Stewart.

usc deserves the 3rd spot. Oklahoma had a tougher schedule... and look who USC lost to...

Originally posted by Blueprint_21
usc deserves the 3rd spot. Oklahoma had a tougher schedule... and look who USC lost to...

Who cares who they lost to? They lost that game in triple overtime whereas the other two teams got blown out (LSU at home!) Also, USC's schedule at the beginning of the year was one of the toughest in the country with two preseason, top 10, non-conference teams in the mix; what more could you ask for? They did their job and they dominated every team following that loss so they deserve #1 and they deserve to be playing in the Sugar Bowl. Please take off your LSU or OSU homer blinders and see the game for what it really is: a sham.

Back
Top Bottom