Be smart - No overspending or luxury draft picks | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Be smart - No overspending or luxury draft picks

normaniii

Active Roster
Reaction score
IMO Jeff Ireland made a 1 year splash last year, knowing it was make or break for himself and he went all out and unfortunately swung and missed. This year we have a new GM. This is the opportunity to finally build a deep roster, not just a 'madden' depth chart of high priced free agents.

Forget the overspending (Mike Wallace, Ellerbe, Wheeler, Misi), lets make smart signings (Grimes).

Forget the luxury non needed draft pick (Dion Jordan).

1-Identify what we need
At present, on the offensive side of the ball we need a RB and no less than 3 O'lineman, with LT being a priority.

On the defensive side of the ball, we need a DT, with both Starks & Soliai FA's, a CB and a FS.

2-Filling that need
I was listening to the radio the other night and Soliai's agent was saying that his client is best suited to a 3-4 NT, which is hard to argue against and other teams running a 3-4 D, value him more highly than the Dolphins do as a 4-3 team. I do agree with this and out of the 2 Starks is far more suited to a 4-3 D and IMO offers more of an all round game than Soliai, thus I would sign Starks out of the 2.

Brent Grimes is a must, even if he has to be franchised, as last year he was a top 5 CB. Chris Clemons IMO is one of the most underrated players on this roster and should definitely be resigned.

That leaves gaps at RB and 3 x OL.

I hate making big Free Agent signings as the risk/reward does not conduce great value. I would prefer to go for that underhyped 2nd tier of Free Agency. For example the big name free agent LT's are Eugene Monroe and Brandon Albert. Cincinnati's Anthony Collins outplayed Albert last year and is far less of an injury risk and would be less of a 'splash' than the other 2.

Other players I like are -

Roger Saffold. Much like Brent Grimes, he plays well but injuries are a concern. He is only 26 and can play RT or OG and a 1 year contract would be ideal.
Ebon Britton, another RT/OG. He is nowhere near probowl quality but he graded well on PFF and again is only 26. He could be had very cheaply, with low risk and would provide competition at best and depth at worst along line.
Jon Asamoah. Played well for KC, but was beaten out by the better Geoff Shwartz, which has dropped his value.
Joique Bell. Backed up Reggie Bush but hit 8 TDS last year. With players such as Blount, Moreno & Jones-Drew hitting FA, I would prefer this under the radar player.

3 - Using the strength of the draft.
IMO you should tailor Free Agency so that you can go into draft 'needing' the perceived strengths of draft.

Identify the 1st round strength and thereafter identify the positions of depth in draft. I called for this last year, where the 1st round strength was O'line and D'line, with the DT's expected to fall because of need at top of draft. We should have gone in to draft, not franchising Randy Starks, saving $8m and needing one of Sharif Floyd, Star Lotulelei or Sheldon Richardson to rotate with Soliai & Odrick.

This year the 1st round strength, WR, OT & DT. WR is not a need. IMO we should target OL, with DT being the fallback option. With players such as Lewan & Zach Martin expected to be available at the mid round stage and others such as Kouandijio, Dave Yankey & Morgan Moses also solid options, it would really strengthen our O'line depth. In addition, I also believe that DT is one of the depth positions in draft, with a big fall of in O'line options after 1st round.

As already mentioned I believe DT is one of the depth positions in draft, the others are QB, WR & CB. I would target these position for depth on roster.

IMO this is the most condusive way to building a successful franchise, re-signing players who perform for you, smart signings in Free Agency and each year attacking the strength of draft, consequently drafting the better players who fall due to position need.

IMO Jeff Ireland made a 1 year splash last year, knowing it was make or break for himself and he went all out and unfortunately swung and missed. This year we have a new GM. This is the opportunity to finally build a deep roster, not just a 'madden' depth chart of high priced free agents.

Forget the overspending (Mike Wallace, Ellerbe, Wheeler, Misi), lets make smart signings (Grimes).

Forget the luxury non needed draft pick (Dion Jordan).

1-Identify what we need
At present, on the offensive side of the ball we need a RB and no less than 3 O'lineman, with LT being a priority.

On the defensive side of the ball, we need a DT, with both Starks & Soliai FA's, a CB and a FS.

2-Filling that need
I was listening to the radio the other night and Soliai's agent was saying that his client is best suited to a 3-4 NT, which is hard to argue against and other teams running a 3-4 D, value him more highly than the Dolphins do as a 4-3 team. I do agree with this and out of the 2 Starks is far more suited to a 4-3 D and IMO offers more of an all round game than Soliai, thus I would sign Starks out of the 2.

Brent Grimes is a must, even if he has to be franchised, as last year he was a top 5 CB. Chris Clemons IMO is one of the most underrated players on this roster and should definitely be resigned.

That leaves gaps at RB and 3 x OL.

I hate making big Free Agent signings as the risk/reward does not conduce great value. I would prefer to go for that underhyped 2nd tier of Free Agency. For example the big name free agent LT's are Eugene Monroe and Brandon Albert. Cincinnati's Anthony Collins outplayed Albert last year and is far less of an injury risk and would be less of a 'splash' than the other 2.

Other players I like are -

Roger Saffold. Much like Brent Grimes, he plays well but injuries are a concern. He is only 26 and can play RT or OG and a 1 year contract would be ideal.
Ebon Britton, another RT/OG. He is nowhere near probowl quality but he graded well on PFF and again is only 26. He could be had very cheaply, with low risk and would provide competition at best and depth at worst along line.
Jon Asamoah. Played well for KC, but was beaten out by the better Geoff Shwartz, which has dropped his value.
Joique Bell. Backed up Reggie Bush but hit 8 TDS last year. With players such as Blount, Moreno & Jones-Drew hitting FA, I would prefer this under the radar player.

3 - Using the strength of the draft.
IMO you should tailor Free Agency so that you can go into draft 'needing' the perceived strengths of draft.

Identify the 1st round strength and thereafter identify the positions of depth in draft. I called for this last year, where the 1st round strength was O'line and D'line, with the DT's expected to fall because of need at top of draft. We should have gone in to draft, not franchising Randy Starks, saving $8m and needing one of Sharif Floyd, Star Lotulelei or Sheldon Richardson to rotate with Soliai & Odrick.

This year the 1st round strength, WR, OT & DT. WR is not a need. IMO we should target OL, with DT being the fallback option. With players such as Lewan & Zach Martin expected to be available at the mid round stage and others such as Kouandijio, Dave Yankey & Morgan Moses also solid options, it would really strengthen our O'line depth. In addition, I also believe that DT is one of the depth positions in draft, with a big fall of in O'line options after 1st round.

As already mentioned I believe DT is one of the depth positions in draft, the others are QB, WR & CB. I would target these position for depth on roster.

IMO this is the most condusive way to building a successful franchise, re-signing players who perform for you, smart signings in Free Agency and each year attacking the strength of draft, consequently drafting the better players who fall due to position need.

NO IMO its because he didnt go all out he just went half way and stopped , we had 20+ mil left on the cap that we could have gotten help at the OL , not only did we know we needed help on the OL BUT jeffy and com . all knew we needed help and didnt go after none of the OL that we should have went after in FA . if i was going to save my job i would do whatever i could to be retained .

Just like you have to draft QB's every some many years, we need to do the same with Offensive lineman more often and hit on them.

NO IMO its because he didnt go all out he just went half way and stopped , we had 20+ mil left on the cap that we could have gotten help at the OL , not only did we know we needed help on the OL BUT jeffy and com . all knew we needed help and didnt go after none of the OL that we should have went after in FA . if i was going to save my job i would do whatever i could to be retained .

We can disagree about boom or bust, but I think we all agree Jeff Ireland massively failed 2013. He always had a roster overloaded at certain position and severley devoid if talent in others.

For example, we had 3 pro bowl calibre DT's, 4 very good DE's, 3 highly paid LB's, 3 massively paid WR's, but a LT who struggled all preseason(Martin) and no depth behind him. Also no depth at OG, RB or safety spot.

Why did we not let Starks walk and go hard after Andy Levitre. Same money, fits the ZBS, can cover Centre and would have allowed Cog to move to his favoured RG spot? Would have also allowed us to draft Sharif Floyd or Lotulelei and keep our 2nd round pick

Back
Top Bottom