Bears in the Surtain sweepstakes? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bears in the Surtain sweepstakes?

DolphinFreak99

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Just read over on the phins news wire that the bears have offered up their second round draft choice for Surtain. Now granted this is going off something that was picked up from a bears message board so take the "rumour" with a grain of salt. If true it should get the cheifs off the pot and I would rather have chicago's second round pick anyways!! :D

(Sorry if this has been posted)

good news... not from a credible source though

Thanks for the post. We'll take it with a shaker of salt.

I expect several more teams to enter the running as we get closer to the draft. A second rounder is very good value for a 28 year old premier DB.

I hope its true.We need to get KC off the pot.

yeah the bears second would be lovely, and it would be great if the bears and cheifs got into a little bidding war over him... but with that said im sure this is some bull that someone made up

Surferosa said:
I expect several more teams to enter the running as we get closer to the draft. A second rounder is very good value for a 28 year old premier DB.

but he'll be 29 in June

like it or not, thats what teams look at

if I was the Chiefs, I'd be skeptical too, because in 1 year, he'll be looking at his decline like most other players at a skill position

I can't believe this is true. UNLESS the Bears are trying to trade one of their CB's. They have two decent starting CB's. However, at the end of last year McQuarters had a run in with the coach, but still doesn't mean much...

McQuarters did have a run-in with Bears coach Lovie Smith at the end of last season and was kicked out of a practice.
from http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team?statsId=3

In that article it says they are not trying to shop either of their corners. There is a possibility though, if they had to deny the rumor that they are not shopping corners... then that rumor is out there!? I just do not see the Bears pulling this one. Other teams maybe... Bears already have a strong D.

That'll be nice if other teams keep joining in the Surtain Sweepstakes, we may even end up with a 1st round pick for him, eh??

Dudeman said:
but he'll be 29 in June

like it or not, thats what teams look at

if I was the Chiefs, I'd be skeptical too, because in 1 year, he'll be looking at his decline like most other players at a skill position

30 isn't necessarily the magic number for every skill position. RB's are notorous for their decline at 30, but they run full speed into a wall nearly every play. Relatively speaking, CB's have it easy. Many CB's excel into their mid 30's, unless mitigated by injury. Pat's not 24 anymore, but he still has plenty of years as a starter left.

Oboy ill have to disagree with you a little bit... My dad, my stepdad, and a lot of my friends are die hard bear fans so i tend to watch most of their games(especially living in Illinois) and their corner play is very very weak. Azumah has great speed and is a very good return guy but he doesnt make plays and he cant tackle well (a lot corners cant). he goes as far as his speed takes him. and as for McQuarters, dont even get me started on that P.O.S (piece of poop). that guy is garbage.. i remember a play last year when one of the bears linemen or LBs scooped up a fumble and McQ was following and instead of blocking, he trailed his teammate in hopes of him lateralling him the ball. he could have blocked and they would have scored.. he is very selfish and very very average, if not below. the rest of their defense is pretty solid, so a corner like surtain would be huge for them.

The more the merrier! Chicago's pick is higher and he would be out of the conferance. If it is true, I think it would be well worth it. We would then have Chicago's 2nd and third rounders.

I agree they definitely need a little corner help.

Lovie loves playmakers at CB. He had them at St. Louis, he loves corners to make INT's even if they give up a big play once in a while, Lovie would probably love to have Surtain on the roster and shift Azumah to nickel back so they have a great playmaker in Surtain that can get 7 picks a year if healthy. His defense wasn't that good but it was great for turnovers(at St. Louis), one of the reasons their O was so potent. The same goes for the Colts, their D is horrible straight up giving up yardage but they are in the top 5 in turnovers (pretty sure).

How is Chicago's cap situation? Even if they wanted to give us their 2nd, would they be able to sign Surtain?

finswin56 said:
30 isn't necessarily the magic number for every skill position. RB's are notorous for their decline at 30, but they run full speed into a wall nearly every play. Relatively speaking, CB's have it easy. Many CB's excel into their mid 30's, unless mitigated by injury. Pat's not 24 anymore, but he still has plenty of years as a starter left.

Lets remember the rules have changed concerning the way the corners can cover..so most corners will now play off more and use more zone than bump and run coverage. So age will be less of a concern.

Back
Top Bottom