Bears trading down from No. 14? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bears trading down from No. 14?

Predaphin

Predator in the Water
Reaction score
Bears | Trading Down From No. 14? - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 10:54:22 -0700

The Chicago Tribune reports Chicago Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said he has talked to some NFL teams about possibly trading down from the No. 14 overall pick in the April 24-25 NFL Draft. "We've now been able to study the [draft] board more and we have a real good feel for potentially what's going to be behind us, and we like some of the players behind us," Angelo said. "Obviously, the compensation would have something to do with that, but it is a possibility and we have talked to some teams about that already." Having traded their 2004 sixth-round choice to the Washington Redskins for FB Bryan Johnson, the Bears like the idea of adding another pick or two as long as they still can get a player they are targeting late in the first round.

I just posted this to see where it fits with Drews Comments on the Bears/ Ogun trade......
It doesnt say anything about them wanting a player, in fact, it says they want to add more picks as long as they still can get a player they are targeting late in the first round.....witch most likely means they want to swap 1sts with somebody.....

Yeah, could also mean that even if they trade away a pick this year, but get Ogun they have effectively done better than just drafting a player...cause Ogun is ready to contribute now and is proven player. But I'm sure, with our lack of day one picks in both this year and next, RS is looking to fill the 2nd rounder this year and next year at a minimum for Ogun....

Well this still won't work with Miami, even if you trade Ogun and get 14, we don't have the other picks to give them this year. and if we give up any other picks to get one pick at 14 and lose Ogun, that's not a good trade to me. There's nobody at 14 that just so thrills me to go after. and thats way too soon for Andrews. Our trades should involve us getting a 2nd back in this draft or next year's plus keep our 1st or lower 1st.

I wouldnt mind giving them our #1 at 20 overall and OGUN for their #1 at 14 overall, this years 2nd rounder, and next years 2nd rounder.

To Bears:
20th pick overall
OGUN

To Fins:
14th pick overall
46th pick overall
next years 2nd rounder (Bears)

Last edited by a moderator:
The rumor is Chicago will try to deal for OGun. I look at it this way. Chicago believes OGun isn't worth trading away the #14 pick for him. So, they will shop their first round pick around to teams that are jockeying for position to get a player where there is a shortage of impact players at that positions of need...ie. RBs.

Denver made the first move and moved up in the draft, I believe they are eye balling RB Steven Jackson. New England, Dallas, and possibly Philly are looking for a top notch back as well. Chicago will shop that pick around to these teams to see if they are willing to swap their first round pick and another pick to jump ahead of Denver to get Steven Jackson.

For example, if Chicago ends up with Philly's #29 pick and another pick, then it wouldn't be a bad move to offer the #29 pick for OGun. I think it's a smart move on their side, if this is what they are planning. Not only do they meet the Fins asking price w/a first round pick in aquiring OGun, but they will get a additional pick after trading down with another team. This could be the scenario that is brewing.

Last edited:
DOLFANMIKE said:
I wouldnt mind giving them our #1 at 20 overall and OGUN for their #1 at 14 overall, this years 2nd rounder, and next years 2nd rounder.

To Bears:
20th pick overall
OGUN

To Fins:
14th pick overall
46th pick overall

I like that trade

FinaticalOne said:
The rumor is Chicago will try to deal for OGun. I look at it this way. Chicago believes OGun isn't worth trading away the #14 pick for him. So, they will shop their first round pick around to teams that are jockeying for position to get a player where there is a shortage of impact players at that positions of need...ie. RBs.

Denver made the first move and moved up in the draft, I believe they are eye balling RB Steven Jackson. New England, Dallas, and possibly Philly are looking for a top notch back as well. Chicago will shop that pick around to these teams to see if they are willing to swap their first round pick and another pick to jump ahead of Denver to get Steven Jackson.

For example, if Chicago ends up with Philly's #29 pick and another pick, then it wouldn't be a bad move to offer the #29 pick for OGun. I think it's a smart move on their side, if this is what they are planning. Not only do they meet the Fins asking price w/a first round pick in aquiring OGun, but they will get a additional pick after trading down with another team. This could be the scenario that is brewing.

This is what I was thinking as well. Hopefully, if this is the plan, they dont drop too far down - maybe to 21 to the Pats pick or 23 to the Seahawks, who need defense and may want to snag one of the top 3 DT's.

I would consider trading Ogun for the 21 pick.

FinaticalOne, I like that trade, but I would like to see AT least an additional low (3,4,5) round pick being offered with their #1. If WE don't net an additional pick for Ogun, we are simply exchanging a proven player for a prospect AND we still have to replace Ogun with a project DE to groom.

We need 2 picks for Ogun.

NathanHunt said:
FinaticalOne, I like that trade, but I would like to see AT least an additional low (3,4,5) round pick being offered with their #1. If WE don't net an additional pick for Ogun, we are simply exchanging a proven player for a prospect AND we still have to replace Ogun with a project DE to groom.

We need 2 picks for Ogun.
My thoughts are EXACTLY that. If we do not get two picks for him, then why give up a pro bowler? Sorry, I don't like that logic.

As for the trade Dolfan Mike suggested, not bad. Just don't see the Bears doing it. Basically we get two 2's and move up in the first for Ogun. I think they would rather just give us their one. And we all know they say they won't do that.

DOLFANMIKE said:

To Bears:
20th pick overall
OGUN

To Fins:
14th pick overall
46th pick overall

Throw Aaron Gibson into the Dolphins receive side and make next year's pick conditional, third anyway, second if he breaks 10 sacks, and a first if he breaks 16 and I would love the deal. Let's see if Chicago, long known as among the cheapest franchises for signing bonus money, can work out $16 million for WaleDrew.

Back
Top Bottom