been away for a bit and all these cb treads but | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

been away for a bit and all these cb treads but

BGtoKNfor6

Where is the reset button?
Reaction score
Simply put, if you shore up your pass rush and get the kind of 3-4 linebackers in place that bill parcells is known for, YOU WON'T NEED SHUTDOWN, HIGH PRICED CORNERS! This is especially true if Bell stays in form and Wilson turns out to be something good.

Simply stated, constant pressure will make average cb's look very good. IIRC, parcells always had teams with good pressure linebackers. If we continue the mold that we are building with Merling and Langford and get a huge lard *** in the middle that can take up two blockers, we have absoultely NO need for shutdown corners to suck our cap dry. Add a good linebacker in the draft in the first 3 rounds and we have the makings of something good.

People need to realize this and stop crying about who we are signing. We are building for the future, not next year. Given the schedule, we may not be able to win 10 games but that isn't where the failure will be. It will be decided IMO in this years draft. Very crucial step towards our next 3 years.

CPtoTG

Not to suggest that BP and co. are on the wrong track because I believe in letting them at least play out there hand before dissecting them.They know alot more then me. But then so did JJ, Wanny, Cammy, and Satin, with a spinkle of Spielman.

I do think that your "simply put" might not necessarily be so simple.

True Constant pressure makes a CB's job easier. But I haven't really seen that yet on a consistent basis.......

And I think its fair to also say that good CB coverage supports and can improve a defensive line.

A huge lard*** in the middle, you know I haven't seen that either.

Merling and Langford, Have not reach the level I think your speaking about and is still honestly a question mark.

Add a good LBr...........another unknown quantity

Are you beginning to see a pattern ?

I think since their have been Quality CB's on the market maybe just maybe it wouldn't hurt to sign one while they are available and not a imaginary fantasy (at this stage) like the Dominating Linemen you have invisioned in your mind.

And maybe a real quality CB can help our defense while we are building that Giants type dominating defensive line and give us a little more insurance encase our players don't develop as quickly as we all hope they do.

There are a lot of "if" in your reasoning.

And I'm not talking about a shut down CB although I wouldn't have a problem with having one, but rather a proven Quality like say Lucas over a Green.

Not crying just seeing things from a different perspective.

CPtoTG

Not to suggest that BP and co. are on the wrong track because I believe in letting them at least play out there hand before dissecting them.They know alot more then me. But then so did JJ, Wanny, Cammy, and Satin, with a spinkle of Spielman.

I do think that your "simply put" might not necessarily be so simple.

True Constant pressure makes a CB's job easier. But I haven't really seen that yet on a consistent basis.......

And I think its fair to also say that good CB coverage supports and can improve a defensive line.

A huge lard*** in the middle, you know I haven't seen that either.

Merling and Langford, Have not reach the level I think your speaking about and is still honestly a question mark.

Add a good LBr...........another unknown quantity

Are you beginning to see a pattern ?

I think since their have been Quality CB's on the market maybe just maybe it wouldn't hurt to sign one while they are available and not a imaginary fantasy (at this stage) like the Dominating Linemen you have invisioned in your mind.

And maybe a real quality CB can help our defense while we are building that Giants type dominating defensive line and give us a little more insurance encase our players don't develop as quickly as we all hope they do.

There are a lot of "if" in your reasoning.

And I'm not talking about a shut down CB although I wouldn't have a problem with having one, but rather a proven Quality like say Lucas over a Green.

Not crying just seeing things from a different perspective.

Points well taken. My rebuttal is that BP had nothing to work with and is basically on the 3-5 year plan. I am going to give him a vote of confidence. He knows how to build defenses and I don't remember ( maybe only ty law, but could be wrong) but when did he ever have shut down corners on his defense. He had decent corners but great linebackers and solid d-lineman.

I still sit by the notion that you don't need to break the bank with corners if you have good safety help and have linebackers that can get to the qb. IMO, will allen is solid (terrible hands) and jason allen deserves another year. Green will be a decent addition and so will wilson. I also firmly believe that you hide your cornerbacks by getting pressure constently and through scheming. If the qb is getting hit on every play, you can have lackluster cb's and get away with it. I would much rather have guys that can get to the qb on my d-line and linebacking core on nearly every play than shut down corners. No matter who your corner is, eventually if there is no pressure the ball is going to be completed. That is a fact.

By trying to sign these guys to huge contracts, IMO all your doing is setting us up for another madison and surtain situation that lasts a few years and then they leave. I still believe the ravens defense was a product of the chemistry and playing to their strengths instead of having all of these awesome free agent additions. Take Reed and Lewis away from that defense and they wouldn't be nearly as good IMO. That is what BP is doing. He is taking the best guys that don't break the bank and he believes that can contribute and will probably play to their strengths and hide their weaknesses.

Maybe we should pick up ken lucas and peterson was released IIRC or going to be from san fran ( I thought I heard that).

I like your post but your talking on a fantasy level. Sure be great to have a dominating DL but we don't and I don't see any one out there to fill that image.

I like your term "break the bank" no one's talking about breaking the bank. Spending a little more money yes. I don't think it would be a bad idea to pick up one quality player to help fill one of our many needs. And I don't see a NT or LB out there at the price I'm talking about. I do think that CB's were, and are there.

And we are not talking about breaking the bank.

Madison and Surtain were a solid foundation for many many years. But I'm not talking about PB CB's.

Green decent, you hope

Jason Allen, deserves another year.....oh ok I feel better..lol

Next tell me that Crowder is going to be our Ray Lewis.

If CB are covering the WR maybe you get more QB sacks.

Balance is the way to build and then as you see what is developing you can adjust. What if the D line doesn't create that dominating force which is a possibility, you think mediocre CB's will be a good thing?

I think we will just have to accept two different approaches. Because your logic is not going to convince me and mine most likely not you

Something we can agree on..........Go Fins

Look at Pittsburgh as our model. .

Pass rush. . good safeties. . who are their CBs. .?

I say we do not need high priced CBs
parcells and co know what they are doing. .

Look at Pittsburgh as our model. .

Pass rush. . good safeties. . who are their CBs. .?

I say we do not need high priced CBs
parcells and co know what they are doing. .

And why do you think that is??? exactly...it is PROVEN. If the qb doesn't have time to throw the ball it is one of three things 1) sack 2) int 3) incomplete.

Time will tell but I think BP knows this mentality (he instilled it in bellicheat and others and it worked) and he isn't going to bring in these guys when they are not needed.

Back
Top Bottom