Before 1997 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Before 1997

Highest winning % in league history pre Y2K.

Younger fans don't realize 10 win seasons were failures for this franchise for 3 decades.

How does one top perfection? By winning 3 super bowls in a row. The one crowning achievement no one has pulled off. That's what I'm predicting for the Miami Dolphins. 3 titles in a row.

Younger fans don't realize 10 win seasons were failures for this franchise for 3 decades.

How does one top perfection? By winning 3 super bowls in a row. The one crowning achievement no one has pulled off. That's what I'm predicting for the Miami Dolphins. 3 titles in a row.

I hope you guys dominate that division.

I remember all of that. Thing is, it was so long ago, it’s kind of pathetic to hold onto it. It’s actually gotten to the point where I roll my eyes at the 1972 team members that are left whenever they pop champagne. Not anything against them per say, it’s just pathetic that that’s the only thing we have to hold onto, and it happened when I was two years old. I guess I’m just saying I’m tired of the mediocrity of the past 17 or 18 years.

Having said that, I am optimistic about the direction we are going in. I really like the way the Dolphins are handling the off season. We have 12 picks in next years draft, our salary cap will be in awesome shape, We are locking up our best players to long term deals early, (Howard, and sounds like Tunsil), I like the culture and mindset that the new coaching staff is bringing in, looking for selfless team first players, I’m confident we will be better schematically on offense and defense, we have a low risk one year try out for a potential franchise QB in Rosen who if he doesn’t work out should still leave us in a reasonable position to get one of the top QBs in next years draft even if we have to trade up a bit to do so. I’m looking forward to the future, and I don’t think I’m going to be Charlie Brown running to kick the football as Lucy pulls it away again at the last minute. This time it looks like we are actually doing things right, so maybe the future will be bright enough that we won’t have to keep reaching back several decades when we were not a regional joke of a franchise.

Hey, two seasons we went 10-4 and didn’t make the playoffs. I believe in ‘77 we were better than Denver and would have had a rematch w Dallas in that SB.

Highest winning percentage in professional Sports until Shula left...

I didnt Want Shula to leave(but I was 16 and living in pa, what did I know?), I didn’t want JJ to leave either. No coach since has tried to actually rebuild anything. We’ve just kept trying to add pieces to someone else’s puzzle.

Unlike previous front office/coaching overhauls,
this one left behind two young all-pro caliber cornerstones.

Something tells me the current regime is back on track. QB, DT, draft picks and cap space is how you needed to start that process, so....

The Gase/Tannehill combo were just good enough to set a bench mark we knew we needed to exceed.

I liked Tannehill as most who know me are aware of. The only QB I wanted to replace him with last year was Rosen. So I’m optimistic in large part to him but perfectly aware we can replace him with a top prospect next year.

It’s amazing when you put that in the context that he coached the team for 26 years. Yeah, BB has more rings and all that but he’s still 8 years shy of a run like Shula had w the same team. Throw in his Colts days and it still baffles me that he went 33 years as a HC w only 2 losing seasons. 6-10 and 6-8 - even at the worst of times his teams were FAR from an embarrassment. Yes some will point to those 8-8 and 8-7 years in the late eighties. Ok. All that means is his teams were still in the hunt right to the last week or two of the season. 31 non-losing seasons. 26 w our beloved fins and gave us the highest winning % in all of professional sports - which is double-unbelievable when you consider how good the Montreal Canadiens were winning Cups left and right across 3 decades.

My generation of Dolphins fandom have it the worst.

Growing up in the 80's and 90's we were spoiled by 13 but too young to have witnessed the greatest glory.

Then 2000 happens....

This. I had the Topps cards for Marino's greatest seasons, and recall a few TV appearances during that time (like the win over the 85 Bears), but wasn't watching weekly until around the end of Clayton's career. By then it was still expected to be playoffs every year, but we often squeaked in or missed out. I remember one quote from Clayton after we had barely squeaked in one year, or perhaps it was before the final game to get in playoffs - anyway, the quote was "We're going to the super bowl!" .... not so much.

Hey, two seasons we went 10-4 and didn’t make the playoffs. I believe in ‘77 we were better than Denver and would have had a rematch w Dallas in that SB.

1977 was one of the fun upbeat seasons in franchise history. Last two weeks of the season were exciting and riveting with the 3-way battle with the Colts and Patriots. Unfortunately the tight finishes didn't go our way either week.

Not sure about the playoffs. I think we would have had to get past Stabler first. He had dropped way of from his peak 1976 season but was still very formidable in his prime, as the Colts found out. At least we would have hosted the game.

Then it would have been very difficult to win an AFC Championship Game in Denver. That was the famed Orange Crush season. They basically weren't giving up anything especially at home.

But the league was so low scoring that season it didn't take too much to steal a game. Certainly not impossible we make a big play play or two in Denver. That would have figured as a very low scoring game with over/under in the low 30s.

The league was so defensive oriented that season the league finally decided steps had to be taken to open up and encourage the passing game. Those rules changes in spring 1978 were probably the most significant in league history. That's when the illegal contact rule began, among many other alterations in favor of the offense.

I remember all of that. Thing is, it was so long ago, it’s kind of pathetic to hold onto it. It’s actually gotten to the point where I roll my eyes at the 1972 team members that are left whenever they pop champagne. Not anything against them per say, it’s just pathetic that that’s the only thing we have to hold onto, and it happened when I was two years old. I guess I’m just saying I’m tired of the mediocrity of the past 17 or 18 years.

Having said that, I am optimistic about the direction we are going in. I really like the way the Dolphins are handling the off season. We have 12 picks in next years draft, our salary cap will be in awesome shape, We are locking up our best players to long term deals early, (Howard, and sounds like Tunsil), I like the culture and mindset that the new coaching staff is bringing in, looking for selfless team first players, I’m confident we will be better schematically on offense and defense, we have a low risk one year try out for a potential franchise QB in Rosen who if he doesn’t work out should still leave us in a reasonable position to get one of the top QBs in next years draft even if we have to trade up a bit to do so. I’m looking forward to the future, and I don’t think I’m going to be Charlie Brown running to kick the football as Lucy pulls it away again at the last minute. This time it looks like we are actually doing things right, so maybe the future will be bright enough that we won’t have to keep reaching back several decades when we were not a regional joke of a franchise.

I must have many a NY/NJ driver roll their eyes then at my NYS license plate......1972FINS.......It's all I got, let me enjoy it. So I was 1 or 2 years old whatever.......LOL

Deep-Thoughts-Hulu.jpg

How does one top perfection? By winning 3 s
uper bowls in a row. The one crowning achievement no one has pulled off. That's what I'm predicting for the Miami Dolphins. 3 titles in a row.

This is so true, i remember if Miami ended with 10 wins, i was kind of bummed out.

I also remember if Miami lost a game, I was pretty certain, they wouid win the following week, but if they had that rare 2nd loss in a row, I would bet anyone who dared bet me that Miami would not lose 3 in a row...Very Rarely did I find a taker.

-----The Legacy that is Don Shula-----

By the way, Miami with all their Mediocre play, is (I believe) still top 5 all time winningest organizations since the merger.

Back
Top Bottom