Bell Wants To Play Here | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bell Wants To Play Here

Running back is the last position we need, Drake and ballage are young beast's for cheap who can produce just as well as being if we had a real oc and line. It's like the only position we are always pretty set at.

What concerns me about this is not that a top player wants to play here, it is why he wants to play here. I mean, if we were coming off our 10-6 season I could understand it. Add a premier player maker to that offense and maybe we get to the next level. However, we don't currently have our quarterback of the future, our OL needs a revamp, and our defense needs to improve. This team isn't a premier running back away from title contention. So if the rumour is true, I don't see Bell's motivation being football related, or at least not entirely. Instead I see it more down to him getting the salary he wants while playing for a team located with an appealing lifestyle and nightlife.

For me, as much as I'd like to see Bell here in Miami, I don't see it being a great option because we aren't poised to win now. Unless of course we decide to trade for Nick Foles, then go down the usual bandaid approach to try and win now. It wouldn't surprise me if we did do that. If do we might as well try to add Antonio Brown as well.

I respectfully disagree with this... I think this mentality is the reason most QB fail TBH... Teams seriously overpay and over draft QBs, limiting their ability to field a solid balanced team around them, making their chance of success even more of a crap shot.

With the defensive assignments being of a binary nature, in other words, if pass -> do this... if run -> do that. You just cant dismiss one part of the equation if not just for the balance part of benefits. If deception is part of offensive success, then you cant simply deny the value of the threat of a good running offense.

In general, on neutral downs, it's more efficient to pass out of heavy sets and run out of spead looks. So, the offense can dictate terms in this way, and based on the information I've seen, the success of the running game does not have a significant impact on play-action passes. The reasoning for each is easy to understand. As you contract formations and take cover guys off the field for the D, it opens up space in the passing game (just as you spread out the D and take pass defenders off the field, it opens up space in the running game). Regarding play action, LB's and Safeties read their keys. They don't typically change based on the success of the running game.

Basically for every 8 ypa passing you get 4 ypc rushing, so it's more like 5/10. But since you need rushing to open up the passing, it's more like passing is 9/10 and rushing is 6/10.
An example is Rams' scoring, they had 32 passing TD and 23 rushing TDs on the season, meaning the rushing TDs equaled 2/3 of the passing scoring. In the same manner 6 is 2/3 of 9. Rushing is 2/3 as important as passing.

Another way to look at it is that there was a 3 YPA gap between the best and worst passing teams in 2018; whereas, there was only a 1.3 YPA gap between the best and worst rushing teams. So, relatively speaking, there's a much more significant difference (almost 300%) between good and poor passing teams than good and poor running teams.

As I mentioned, running plays a role, but NFL teams still emphasize it much too much on neutral downs, where it's a huge advantage to pass, and teams with decent QB's should only run as a change-up. Many teams do it backwards. They run too much on neutral downs and pass too much on short-yardage or goalline situations, including 2-point conversions. There's plenty to read on the subject.

But, the main point is that the RB is not as important as the OC, QB, or OL to the running game's success, and those are the three most important aspects of success in the passing game. So, if you take the proper steps to build your passing game, it's almost a given that you'll run well. You don't have to go out of your way to build a strong run game, and you shouldn't.

As I mentioned, running plays a role, but NFL teams still emphasize it much too much on neutral downs, where it's a huge advantage to pass, and teams with decent QB's should only run as a change-up. Many teams do it backwards. They run too much on neutral downs and pass too much on short-yardage or goalline situations, including 2-point conversions. There's plenty to read on the subject.

This I agree with. I also think the 7/10 pass and 3/10 run scale you provided is only feasible for a minority of the league while most would benifit from valuing the run more, especially 3 yards &less to go like you stated.

This I agree with. I also think the 7/10 pass and 3/10 run scale you provided is only feasible for a minority of the league while most would benifit from valuing the run more, especially 3 yards &less to go like you stated.

Absolutely, running is important situationally. My point when I said that it's relatively unimportant is that you can't get into situations where it's important without a successful passing game. The exception would be teams that defend the pass at an elite level/are relatively good in the passing game because of that - like Jacksonville in 2017 or Chicago in 2018. But, that's much harder to replicate year after year. It's easier to keep a good playcaller, QB, and OL than the pieces needed to have a dominant Pass D.

The value is in that second third, either as 1/3 as important as the passing, as J-off claims, or 2/3 as important as passing. Remember, the pass to run ratio leaguewise for the season per team is around 600 attempts to 400 carries. And it has been like that for a while.

Get Gore back for a year and I'd say the RB position is the last area we need to be looking at. Can't see it happening anyway. The Suh contract has prob put us off paying silly money for a while!!

We can not sign high priced free agents in MIA unless they are home grown second contract guys like X. We don’t even have an OL or QB and Bell is injury prone. Let’s save the 15-20 Million and invest in the trenches before we identify high priced skill player. Conner proved you can get quality production when you have a good line. Almost no drop off in Pitt backfield with Bell holding out and vacationing in MIA. Plus who really wants this guy to keep his vacation going into the season so he can get paid big and party in MIA. Drake, Ballage, Perry Boulden proved to be a Versatel backfield. “Build the Line and we’ll be fine”!

Sure that would be the Dolphins' thing to do. Overpay for a RB who has only played one full 16 game season and hasn't played a down in over a year. Would be brilliant. If this Flores guy is supposedly bringing the "Patriot Way" with him why would he want to do something that stupid?

I love Bell but as many said. RB is least of our worries.

Back
Top Bottom