Bengals Front Office Split on Herbert and Burrow? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bengals Front Office Split on Herbert and Burrow?

I think Detroit is in the best spot in all of this. If they can convince Miami or SD to trade with them, they can still get whatever player they covet (Okudah?) at 5 or 6 and also get whatever picks they would get for making the trade.

But I think Miami stays put.

TFK

So, Cincy drafts Burrow and Miami drafts Herbert. Now Cicny wants to trade for Herbert and get rid of a guy who won't play in Cincy. Which team has the leverage?

Thats how you do it. same as Giants and Chargers did. draft the qb's first then it may only cost us a 2nd rounder.

If there's any truth to this (I doubt it), Cincy won't move below #5 if the target is Herbert, and maybe not as low as #5. So the obvious first question is, if Cincy wants Herbert, what are their choices? Well, take herbert at #1, or, trade to #3,4,5 (the Skins have no incentive to trade). Now the question is, what will those 3 teams do? Would any of them jump on Burrow? If so, how would that affect Tua?

I don't see Cincy in the driver's seat in this. If they move down to get Herbert, AND if they move to far, a team DET may decide Burrow is too good to pass up. Same with NYG. Or, maybe Miami could trade with WASH for #2 or DET at #3 and still get Burrow. Cincy can't ask for a king's ransom without risk of losing Herbert.

So the question for all teams between #2 and 35 is if Cincy moves down, what will the other team's do? Stick with Young and Okudah? Jump on the draft's best QB? Trade with #6? I don't see a move up costing as much as some are offering?

You are losing me here. If Cincy trades down, why would DET at #3 be in a situation to draft Burrow? Wouldn't Burrow still go #1?

How did that work out?

No different than most teams in the NFL. They made it to the playoffs twice in the last 8 years once in 2012 and once in 2015. That's more than the Jets, Bucs, and Browns who have not made it to the playoffs in the last 8 years. That's also more than the Bears, Jaguars, Giants, Dolphins, and Raiders who have only made the playoffs once in the past 8 years. 2 times in 8 years is equal to the Lions, Titans, Cardinals, Rams, Bills, and Chargers.

Clearly it wasn't a good trade with hindsight but it didn't set them back or cripple them for years seeing as how they are on par with 14 of 32 NFL teams in terms of playoff berths. I would venture to guess if they didn't trade 3 1st round picks for RG3 they wouldn't have been any more successful than they have been in the last 8 years. After all 14 of those teams that are on par with the Redskins didn't trade 3 1st round picks and that didn't help them have more success than the Redskins.

I say we offer our 3 first and 2 seconds this year. And 2 firsts and 2 seconds next year. I mean why piss around. Go get burrow, he did have the best college year ever. Tua is broken and Herbert is worse than Tannehill. I love the offseason!!!

No different than most teams in the NFL. They made it to the playoffs twice in the last 8 years once in 2012 and once in 2015. That's more than the Jets, Bucs, and Browns who have not made it to the playoffs in the last 8 years. That's also more than the Bears, Jaguars, Giants, Dolphins, and Raiders who have only made the playoffs once in the past 8 years. 2 times in 8 years is equal to the Lions, Titans, Cardinals, Rams, Bills, and Chargers.

Clearly it wasn't a good trade with hindsight but it didn't set them back or cripple them for years seeing as how they are on par with 14 of 32 NFL teams in terms of playoff berths. I would venture to guess if they didn't trade 3 1st round picks for RG3 they wouldn't have been any more successful than they have been in the last 8 years. After all 14 of those teams that are on par with the Redskins didn't trade 3 1st round picks and that didn't help them have more success than the Redskins.
Kind of depends on who they got with the other 2 picks.

Point taken, though.

If Cincy does take a bounty of picks from us then they wont have to worry about losing out on Herbert. They can easily move up with the Giants from #5 to #4 to ensure they get him.

Price sounds about right. If they truly want Herbert and trade out to 5

Dont know why you keep thinking this. when has it ever cost that much to move up 5 spots to get a QB? four 1st round picks is a crazy price and if that's what they are asking then we need to call the Texans about what they want for Watson. If the Bengals are really asking for four 1st round picks then they arent serious about wanting to trade down or get more picks, means they really want Burrow and are not interested in trading that pick, which is fine.

For Burrow not to be a "Andrew Luck type prospect", I cant imagine what the bounty would be for Trevor Lawrence next year.

If Cincy does take a bounty of picks from us then they wont have to worry about losing out on Herbert. They can easily move up with the Giants from #5 to #4 to ensure they get him.
That's not likely. If the Giants wanted him, they aren't trading the pick. If other teams try to move ahead, I suppose.

Although if we did trade four 1st round picks (which I still think is too much and not realistic) we would have essentially traded Tunsil (should I even mention Stills?) and Minkah for a potential franchise QB.....not too shabby, especially if Burrow becomes a franchise QB.

I do not feel we can overpay; too many holes to fill.
If Burrow does not want CN, then the ask price for a trade-up should go down
Oh yeah, if Burrow is putting the screws to them, you totally under-bid. What would be nice, we have so many lower rounders we could toss in to make it look like we are overpaying, and we could keep most of our high rounders.
Because if Burrow is Miami's guy, I am OK with giving like 26, our second 2nd rounder, a two next year, and then sprinkle in a 5,6, and 7.
We can still get a tackle at 18, we still have a pick in both second rounds this and next year, plus both firsts next year. And a healthy franchise QB with great intangibles.
Any day I make that trade. I'd even throw in Rosen.
If CN balks, then it's like buying a car. You make your offer and if they say no, you walk away.
Sure as hell they may call you back because Burrow has taken their leverage.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom