Bengals Front Office Split on Herbert and Burrow? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bengals Front Office Split on Herbert and Burrow?

Having a top notch QB didnt help the Packers, Chargers make the super bowl. Close, but didnt make it.

The 49ers made the super bowl with a journeyman qb.

We need more than just QB. Dont give up everything for an injury prone qb, or one year wonder who had a good team around him.
Jimmy G is a journeyman qb??

I agree, price sounds about right. That was my estimate prior to the 2019 season, that it would require 4 first round picks to move up for Tua.

That was based on Tua remaining healthy and having another dominant season. With Burrow it's somewhat different because he's older and has done it for only one season. IMO, that would drop the logical price to 3.5 first round picks, or the equivalent. Maybe between 3.5 and 3.75

Too many people are focusing on past examples of price and not the situational influence in play right now. Cincinnati knows Miami donated the season for this opportunity. That's why the price to Miami would be higher than toward some other team that played 2019 normally and just happened to wind up at #5 with a quarterback need.

The silly trade numbers have come from the mock trades that look at this terrain normally and go by the chart alone. Every Bengals fan would be rightfully outraged if they accepted some insulting return like a Kelley Book number.

The flip side is, if Burrow has told Cincy he won't play, they HAVE to pick Burrow at #1 and try to trade him, Tua/Herbert at #1 and live with it, or pick another position at #1. If they truly just want Herbert, potential trade partners can say 'then take Herbert at #1, I'm not paying an extortionate price.' No team is required to trade up.

Now the question becomes would WASH, DET, NY pass on who they covet to get Burrow and, if so, could they beat Miami's offer? I don't think it will take much more than chart value for Miami to move up *IF* they decide Burrow is their guy.

I'm perfectly calm. I was being a bit hyperbolic. Whatever happens, happens. With so much craziness in the world right now, it would be hard to get too upset over what happens in football. Times like these reveal what's truly important.

I don't think we'll flip four 1s to move up, but -- quite frankly -- nothing this team does will ever surprise me again. I put nothing past us.

Let them pick Burrow and we will work out a trade afterward. Just don't let them think we will pay extra for what they feel is the second (or third) best QB option. Let them pick Herbert at 1.

Frankly I don't want Burrow or Herbert. If that is who we end up with, fine. Neither would be my choice. Needless to say I wouldn't be in favor of giving up extra picks for them.

That is a crazy amount of draft capital.

Not crazy, utterly ridiculous. Especially given the resume of the player.

For an Elway, Luck, or Lawrence in 2021, it’s still very, very expensive. But much more worth the risk given the 2-3 season sample size of stellar play.

I agree, price sounds about right. That was my estimate prior to the 2019 season, that it would require 4 first round picks to move up for Tua.

That was based on Tua remaining healthy and having another dominant season. With Burrow it's somewhat different because he's older and has done it for only one season. IMO, that would drop the logical price to 3.5 first round picks, or the equivalent. Maybe between 3.5 and 3.75

Too many people are focusing on past examples of price and not the situational influence in play right now. Cincinnati knows Miami donated the season for this opportunity. That's why the price to Miami would be higher than toward some other team that played 2019 normally and just happened to wind up at #5 with a quarterback need.

The silly trade numbers have come from the mock trades that look at this terrain normally and go by the chart alone. Every Bengals fan would be rightfully outraged if they accepted some insulting return like a Kelley Book number.

Most these folks don’t have enough experience to wrap themselves around that points chart is worthless when it comes to qb in trade up/into the top 5.

I think we’re going to find out soon that Cinci is already negotiating a contract with Burrow. 1st pick can do that.

I'd be more interested in Herbert if he were 6-4 instead of 6-6. We've tried to assign the erraticism and inexplicable passes into the dirt to the style of offense, etc. But likely plenty of it is simply the dimensions alone. I've made a living for 20+ years in wagering on midsize 5 foot 6 LPGA golfers against the taller ones so this is not an unfamiliar or reluctant topic for me. Not many high end examples once the height is 6 foot 6 or above. Somehow Mike Tannenbaum doesn't acknowledge that in his brainstorming summation that Herbert looks the part. It kind of reminds me of all the ridiculous assertions of what Michelle Wie was certain to become. When she was 14 years old I was already posting that her height nullified any chance to fulfill the projections. Simply too many moving parts from that far away.

When Herbert was being assumed for the 2019 draft there was a podcast that doubted his opportunity at high end NFL success, due to that 6-6 height. The podcast listed the combine quarterbacks since 1999 at 6-6 and above:

Paxton Lynch
Brock Osweiler
Mike Glennon
Ryan Mallett
Joe Flacco
Tony Pike
Sean Mannion
Tyler Bray
Jamarcus Russell
Byron Leftwich
Derek Anderson
Nate Sudfeld
John Skelton
Josh Freeman
Jordan Palmer
Eric Ainge
John Navarre

The podcast listed the combine quarterbacks since 1999 at 6-6 and above:

Paxton Lynch
Brock Osweiler
Mike Glennon
Ryan Mallett
Joe Flacco
Tony Pike
Sean Mannion
Tyler Bray
Jamarcus Russell
Byron Leftwich
Derek Anderson
Nate Sudfeld
John Skelton
Josh Freeman
Jordan Palmer
Eric Ainge
John Navarre

giphy.gif

Burrow's agent may have told the bengals that Miami is interested and Burrow would not have an issue with getting traded there.

That discussion already happened. What happens when Burrow is in his option year and decides not to sign contract with Bengals after 4 years as a starter?

Cincy will not pass on Burrow.

Burrow will not refuse to play for Cincy.

Miami will not offer 4 #1's for Burrow. (Has there ever been a trade where 4 #1's went to another team? Or even 3? What did the Cowboys get for Walker?)

All this speculation and made up 'reports' are to generate web traffic and nothing more.

TFK

This trade was way too complicated

To Dallas Cowboys
  • LB Jesse Solomon
  • LB David Howard
  • CB Issiac Holt
  • DE Alex Stewart
  • Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990
  • Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990
  • Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990
  • Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional on cutting Solomon)
  • Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional on cutting Howard)
  • Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1992 (conditional on cutting Holt)
  • Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (condition met by trading away Nelson)
  • Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional on cutting Stewart)
To Minnesota Vikings
  • RB Herschel Walker
  • Dallas's 3rd round pick in 1990
  • San Diego's 5th round pick in 1990
  • Dallas's 10th round pick in 1990
  • Dallas's 3rd round pick in 1991
To San Diego Chargers

Anither thread said that Bengals reportedly were told by Burrow he would rather play elsewhere.

I believe it. Let him fall to us.

If we flip 4, that will be the stupidest thing this franchise has ever done except all the other stupid things.

Back
Top Bottom