Bengals re-sign Devon Still to help him pay for daughter's cancer treatments | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bengals re-sign Devon Still to help him pay for daughter's cancer treatments

datruth55

Hungry for defense
Club Member
Reaction score
The Cincinnati Bengals made arguably their greatest move of the season this week.

The Bengals re-signed defensive tackle Devon Still to their practice squad Sunday to help him pay for his 4-year-old daughter's cancer treatments. He was waived by the team last Saturday.

Still learned back in June that his daughter, Leah, has stage-four pediatric cancer. Since the diagnosis, Still's mind understandably hasn't been completely on football as he missed parts of organized team activities and minicamp this offseason to be with his daughter, which is why he understood the team's decision to cut him.

"I completely understand where the Bengals were coming from when they cut me because I couldn't give football 100 percent," Still told ABC News.

But when Still received the call this morning that he had been signed to the practice squad and would receive health insurance as well as a weekly salary of $6,300, he was incredibly grateful. Still also will remain in the game he loves, for the team that drafted him, without all of the traveling, meaning he can be closer to his daughter as she undergoes treatments.
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...m-pay-for-daughter-s-cancer-treatments-090514

Pretty awesome move by the Bengals.

Glad to hear this. I'm praying for that little girl and her family.

Man if his daughter can pull through and he can concentrate on football, he is gonna be a hell of a leader. That right there is a Bengal for life. Such an awesome move on the Bengals part. The whole organization deserves a medal of some sort.

They need to get the word out on this story big time! The NFL is in desperate need of heartwarming stories like this. I also really liked hearing about the phins players going to visit the terminally ill man last week. Although that story did make me pretty sad overall, it makes me happy that there are still people out there that do nice things for each other even if it isn't convenient or doesn't earn them money.

It's crazy that of all the teams to do this, it'd be the Bengals.

Mike Brown once -- literally -- jacked up the price of bottled water by like 200% when the water fountains stopped working at Paul Brown Stadium.

‘Still Strong’ Shirts To Support Devon Still’s Daughter And Pediatric Cancer

With how much negative press the NFL has been receiving with the Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson abuse scandals, the support given to Still reminds fans of the good in the organization and how unifying sports can be in the face of tragedy.

To further support, the “Still Strong” shirts cost $25, and Cincy Shirts is giving $15 directly to Still’s PLDGIT campaign. PLDGIT benefits Cincinnati Children’s Hospital and the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, where Leah is currently receiving treatment.

The Bengals are also still selling Still’s jersey for $100, donating all proceeds to pediatric cancer. After a few days, sales raised $400,000 for the cause. New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton has bought 100 jerseys, which Still could only describe as amazing.

Still struggles with the fight his daughter has to go through, who has a 50 percent chance of living, but wholeheartedly thanks those who have supported him and Leah. According to MMQB, he admitted, “At times I’ve felt like I couldn’t go on…But the Bengals have been so good to me. People I don’t know have been so good to me. Fans have been so good.”

http://www.business2community.com/s...von-stills-daughter-pediatric-cancer-01012118

jaNrsXO600x314-1.png

Back
Top Bottom