Besides the WR position did we upgrade any position in FA? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Besides the WR position did we upgrade any position in FA?

allsilverdreams

Starter
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I think this is going to be very difficult to answer yes .
I actually think we MAY have done better with the DT position and maybe LB .
But we lost out on a good DE to gain the LB.

May not be a position in general but I think our ability to stop the run has improved.

Our pass def was very strong, we should be good at stopping the run now.

We have a top 3 defense now IMO

We didn't lose a player of any significance besides Karras. Lawson for McKinney was a trade so not sure if it counts (basically a wash anyway).

We wanted to sign Andrews, but he didn't want us. The reliability and health of Skura combined with whether we can land a solid rookie Center is the main question mark coming out of FA.

But we added solid depth and a very good WR if healthy. Fuller signing made this FA period a win.

But most importantly. No possibly of bad long term contracts.

Last edited:
We wanted to sign Andrews, but he didn't want us. The reliability and health of Skura combined with whether we can land a solid rookie Center is the main question mark coming out of FA.
First of all I think Skura's is tough as nails. He totally blew out his knee(all three ligaments) in 2019 and still manage to get on the field to start 2020, Yap had problems in two games I believe in the rain. Trust me this guy is an upgrade and should be fully healthy.

I like the Fuller signing.

WR room much better and faster.

The McKinney trade was tremendous. Elandon Roberts laid some huge hits, but McKinney is a huge upgrade there in the middle of our run D.

Justin Coleman should immediately send Needham to the bench at starting Slot CB.

Losing Godchaux in FA, but bringing in (the) Butler (did it) is a wash-to-net-gain for us (at about half the price).

Malcolm Brown improves the RB room.

Skura is an upgrade over Karras.

Jacoby Brissett is the perfect veteran back up QB for Tua, with extensive starting experience if he should ever need to step in.

First of all I think Skura's is tough as nails. He totally blew out his knee(all three ligaments) in 2019 and still manage to get on the field to start 2020, Yap had problems in two games I believe in the rain. Trust me this guy is an upgrade and should be fully healthy.
I have no problem withe Skura signing at all. At worst it is a very cheap contract, even for a quality backup.

If he can overcome his injury/"yips" and be anything close to the player he was in 2019, it's an absolute steal.

Karras had his weaknesses, so I really don't mind losing him. But I think we were all hoping to make a clear veteran upgrade at the position w Linsley, Andrews, or Hudson.

The only issue is can we depend on him to be a solid starting C next year? We already had a very young and below average Oline last year. We can't afford to take a step back at any spot. Unlike the other guys I listed, his signing doesn't leave me feeling completely assured that the position is locked down for this season.

Skura was a pro bowler in 2019, so I'm definitely not ruling out that he could fill in very well this year. But he badly shredded his knee (w an impressively quick return though) and then lost his spot under very unusual circumstances.

I don't believe the guy forgot to snap a ball overnight. It was two games and he apparently had a cut on his thumb. The NFL is always next man up and even 2 weeks of consistent costly mistakes can cost you your job.

Still, until I see him in action this year I have to treat him like somewhat of a wildcard. There are reasons he was so cheap. Hopefully they weren't good ones.

We did a good job in salvaging what could have been a very bad situation by signing him. Skura was the last player available that gave us any chance of providing even close to average starting play. I do still hope we draft a long term player to fill that spot in the 2nd or 3rd.

The fact the we made a good amount of cost effective depth signings as opposed to making a couple big splashes may have been a smart decision specifically for this season.

We now have a 17 game schedule, and we want to keep as many starters healthy over the course of the season as possible. That means you have to have backups you can rely upon.

I think depth became a little more important in 2021.

Last edited:
PUNTER

Beside Fuller and Palardy, other are ho hum.
Personally, Fuller was enough for me.

Our WR's were trash and we snagged a very good one. And his injury history isn't an issue on a one year deal. He's more talented when healthy than every WR that was on the market besides Golladay. Plus he fills our need for playmakers that can separate.

We are a better team than before FA.

Back
Top Bottom