Besides the WR position did we upgrade any position in FA? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Besides the WR position did we upgrade any position in FA?

Improved? Kinda. But Scarlett definitely can fill the role Lawson had in Miami so I think its a wash and McKinney is a better player than Lawson and might be our Best LB if healthy. Van Ginkel outplayed Van Noy and will be starting in his place this year so yeah that's an upgrade. I think there's a better way to ask this question. Did we lose anyone we haven't replaced in one of the NFL's best defenses? I can't think of a single player we lost that makes us worse.

Reactions: dha
We got weaker on the edge: both in setting it, and in the pass rush. We took a downgrade at backup QB. We made a probable lateral move at Center with a bit of upside.

But other than that, we remained the same or improved almost every where else.

WR: Fuller, Foster, and possibly Wilson
RB: Brown
DT: two new rotational guys to replace Godchaux who didn't play anyway.
LB: a new Mike and some better depth than Hill or Munson.
CB: A probable new slot corner.

This was a nice haul... if we fix the Edges through the draft.
Foster was a very under the radar signing, but I'm interested to see what he brings.

Had a nice rookie year with Buffalo and adds speed. He also played with Tua at Alabama.

Of course, there are 12 wide receivers competing for six jobs, not to mention a likely top pick.

Improved? Kinda. But Scarlett definitely can fill the role Lawson had in Miami so I think its a wash and McKinney is a better player than Lawson and might be our Best LB if healthy. Van Ginkel outplayed Van Noy and will be starting in his place this year so yeah that's an upgrade. I think there's a better way to ask this question. Did we lose anyone we haven't replaced in one of the NFL's best defenses? I can't think of a single player we lost that makes us worse.

interesting perspective

The trade for McKinney should improve the run defense and Fuller should be a major upgrade at the WR position IF he can stay healthy.

Skura if fully recovered from his 2019 injury should be an upgrade from Karras.

Coleman was a decent CB a few years ago but I will be surprised if he makes the final 53. He was one of the lowest rated CB’s in the league last year and I don’t see him beating out Needham and it is time for Iggy to step up and win the nickel CB position.

The rest of the free agent signings are players who will be given a chance to make the roster but I don’t see any of them being anything more than a short term solution for positions which will have to be filled
with upgraded players over the next few drafts.

Unless we replace Godchaux with Darnold, there will be disagreement over the upgrade. Most come with some caveats. Skura is an upgrade IF he can shed the bad snaps. Fuller is an upgrade unless he's injured in PS.
That said, WR and slot corner are upgraded. (Wilson should upgrade the quick/fast type, but he's not a FA.) I think OC will be an upgrade. DT's, as a group, have been upgraded. I'm inclined RB/LB have been upgraded, but not significantly.
To me, the same top 3 needs most listed before FA - WR/LB/Edge
Darnold has shown a penchant for generating turnovers but I question how stout he can be in the run gain without putting on a ton of weight

The trade for McKinney should improve the run defense and Fuller should be a major upgrade at the WR position IF he can stay healthy.

Coleman was a decent CB a few years ago but I will be surprised if he makes the final 53. He was one of the lowest rated CB’s in the league last year and I don’t see him beating out Needham and it is time for Iggy to step up and win the nickel CB position.

The rest of the free agent signings are players who will be given a chance to make the roster but I don’t see any of them being anything more than a short term solution for positions which will have to be filled
Flores has repeatedly described Iggy as a boundary corner. I doubt VERY seriously if he's even under consideration for the slot corner job.

Also.. on Coleman... he IS a slot corner and he crashed and burned when his last team tried to play him on the boundary. My money is on him beating Needham out, but Needham has a real chance to win that duel.

I think Butler will help the DT rotation/run defense and the punter could be an upgrade as well.

Darnold has shown a penchant for generating turnovers but I question how stout he can be in the run gain without putting on a ton of weight

Can't argue that point, but I doubt Darnold would be considered 'no improvement' if he replaced Godchaux.

Flores has repeatedly described Iggy as a boundary corner. I doubt VERY seriously if he's even under consideration for the slot corner job.

Also.. on Coleman... he IS a slot corner and he crashed and burned when his last team tried to play him on the boundary. My money is on him beating Needham out, but Needham has a real chance to win that duel.
If Iggy is only going to be played on the boundary, I guess that means he will once again play very little during the 2021 season. Because I don’t see him replacing Howard or Jones unles one of them is injured.

Selecting Iggy in the first round when they had just signed Jones and they had Howard really makes less and less sense. Especially if Iggy can’t beat out Needham who was an UDFA and Coleman as the starting slot corner.

The drafting of Iggy in the first round continues to bewilder me. A first rounder should be able to come in and start immediately, IMO. Yet it appears Iggy is just like any 4th or 5th round pick who only gets playing time when the starters go down with an injury.

If Iggy is only going to be played on the boundary, I guess that means he will once again play very little during the 2021 season. Because I don’t see him replacing Howard or Jones unles one of them is injured.

Selecting Iggy in the first round when they had just signed Jones and they had Howard really makes less and less sense. Especially if Iggy can’t beat out Needham who was an UDFA and Coleman as the starting slot corner.

The drafting of Iggy in the first round continues to bewilder me. A first rounder should be able to come in and start immediately, IMO. Yet it appears Iggy is just like any 4th or 5th round pick who only gets playing time when the starters go down with an injury.
You and I have some fundamentally different ideas about #1 draft picks.

The main difference being, I do NOT expect that #1 picks have to play immediately... especially if the come from one of the premium positions, You say that "a first rounder should be able to start immediately". So, our outlooks couldn't be more different.

That said... X surprised everyone last year. Let's not lose sight of that fundamental fact. One, he was coming off of a serious knee surgery (and he'd had knee problems before) and Two, he had a legal cloud hanging over his head with regard to physical abuse allegations by his live in girlfriend.

Assuming that Flores/Grier would know, in advance of the draft, that X would be able to play... and out of jail... would mean that they could predict the future.

Iggy was considered the first or second best CB in the SEC, and at 19 years old with only two years at CB... he was worth the pick-- especially as we had three of them.

If X gets hurt (again), or throws a tantrum (again)... the next guy is here.

Not really. If we did, its minor. We could be worse off in a couple of spots if health becomes a factor.

I think this is going to be very difficult to answer yes .
I actually think we MAY have done better with the DT position and maybe LB .
But we lost out on a good DE to gain the LB.
We lost out on a very average, underperforming, overpaid DE who will be easily replaced in the draft.

Back
Top Bottom