Best Decision by Dolphins over past 10 years | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Best Decision by Dolphins over past 10 years

You're ignoring what he did for us when he was here, and how much more he would have done if we had been able to keep him.

Who cares what he did when he was here? He's not here now, and what he's done with the Patriots is only relevant to the Patriots and not to the Dolphins. When I get asked questions like these, the answers I usually like to give are people who have made large impacts in a long term career with the DOLPHINS. Unfortunately, because of the horrendous desicion makers of the past decade we don't have many guys on the team that can be honored with such a distinction.

Also, when Wes' career is all said and done nobody is going to give two squirts of you know what when it comes to his three seasons in Miami. It's all going to be about what he did in New England. If you really want an outside the box answer, check this out.

How about Dave Wannstedt drafting a SS in the sixth round of the 2003 NFL Draft out of Eastern Kentucky. That player's name, noneother than Yeremiah Bell. Classic case of "even a blind squirrel finds an acorn."

Drafting Pat White... you'll see... :up:

"Your just a poor confused soul" That is some funny ****. I know he was only a rookie last year but he did nothing to make me think he could play at this level but he did show he was a injury risk playing with the big boys...

I would have to say without a doubt the hiring of Parcells which in turn led to the hiring of Ireland and Sparano which led to drafting Jake Long. To succeed you have to build the organization from the inside out. Start with staff and then start in the trenches.

Honestly I would have to say allow Zach Thomas retire a fin.

Hopefully taking a chance on Bess and Cam Wake turn out great. And how about the introduction of the "Wildcat".

Remember Jim Bates? I wish he would have been the Head Coach instead of Cam Cameron. We would have at least had some heart and won like 4 or 5 games rather than just 1. But then we got Jake Long. That's my vote for best decision in the last 10 years. JL will be the phins anchor for at least 8-10 more years.

Putting Camarillo in on that play vs the ravens.. escaped history & jumpstarted his career.

Firing DUMBSTEDT.

technically, we didn't fire him. We implied it would be best for him to resign, and he did.

As for the Welker argument. 1)We didn't sign him as a UDFA. We plucked him off San Diego's practice squad after 2 weeks because LaMont Brightful couldn't hold on to the football. 2)He was a nice little player for us, but hardly the difference maker he is in New England or people make him out to be.

best decision in last 10 years was to fire Cam Cameron. We did not waste time we accepted he was a huge mistake and fired him. I have never seen any coach less prepared to run a team than Cameron from his idiotic ideas to his horrible press conferences. You spend your first two picks on Ginn and Beck and follow with Satale.
Mueller has to get alot of the blame also since he traded Welker only to follow and waste the pick as well as being there for the draft picks and giving away more picks for Trent Green.

That's a lot of time to cover. I mean 10 years covers the off season before the 2001 season.

It sure would be nice if this regime would actually win a playoff game before we go ahead and start talking up Bill Parcells as the best decision since the 2001 off season.

Right now I think I'm going to have to go with Jake Long. Having that #1 overall pick is a huge risk. It's a PR risk and it's a financial risk. The Dolphins managed to come away from that risk with one of the top three or five tackles in the league today, and the fact that he is that talented makes the decision especially lucky because a big part of his draw as a draft prospect was his character, work ethic, genetics (long arms but still very strong), and most importantly (knock on wood) his durability. As Jeff Ireland once said, you can't hurt the guy with an axe. The talent was the part people weren't sure about. If you remember, some folks thought he would only end up a right tackle. Everyone acknowledged that he was a top character, top work ethic, durable, tough and mean SOB. So to come through so strongly on the riskiest aspect of drafting him, with no warning lights on the dashboard about the other assumptions most everyone made...that's a grand slam. People toss the accolade around like chocolate coins at a parade, they say that so and so will be here 10-15 years. Well, in this case with Jake Long, there's actually reason to believe that could be true (again, knock on wood). That's a cornerstone piece that you could have in place for a long time. Other guys could come and go, quarterbacks, coordinators, even coaches...but you'll always have that cornerstone piece and because of the nature of the position he's ALWAYS going to be valuable, regardless of what system you run, regardless of your new head coach's coaching style, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if it wasn't for bringing in Penny, there would still be a lot of talk about rebuilding.

Another change that I think is often overlooked is the change in ownership. I think that change will eventually bring us a championship.

Back
Top Bottom