Best Dolphins team of the last 30 years? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Best Dolphins team of the last 30 years?

I think in a head-to-head matchup Marino, Shula, and those early 90s teams beat Wanny, Fiedler, and the defense that was at its worst under pressure. Sure Ricky was a beast in 2002, but that season proved that Ricky alone could not overcome the deficits at coach and QB, nor was he enough when the defense folded.
That’s an interesting way to look at it. I think you’re right. Feebler isn’t winning many games against Dan or any HOF QBs w regularity.

These were the 4 best teams IMO. The ‘93 team was really good before the injury to Dan and at 4-1 had already beaten Buffalo in Orchard. Injuries to Vincent, Offerdahl, Mitchell, Oliver crushed any chance of making the playoffs after getting to 9-2 somehow. I can’t take any of the early 2000 teams seriously because there was no way we were going to make any run w Jay Feebler at QB. I loved Ricky in 2002 and that meltdown at NE ranks as one of my hardest to stomach losses in franchise history. The ‘90 team went blow for blow w the Bills in the snow until a late fumble really did them in. That team was probably the best one. Too bad as we may have beaten the Giants in the SB as they were without Simms and OJ Anderson was 137 years old. Buff should have won that game. Not a very talented NYG team on offense. Defense yes. But offense no.
I agree that the early 90s teams were the best, but can someone explain what the f— happened in 1991? :ponder:

Notwithstanding 1991, I think the 1989-1995 era is truly the Bronze Age of Dolphins football.

Last edited:
The team when Marino got hurt was looking legit that year. Not sure we were beating the Bills tho. Let's be honest we haven't really had any good teams in 30 years. When we had the AFC championship game at home at got smacked in 1992 that was our best team

The team when Marino got hurt was looking legit that year. Not sure we were beating the Bills tho. Let's be honest we haven't really had any good teams in 30 years. When we had the AFC championship game at home at got smacked in 1992 that was our best team
We’ve had good teams. Some were borderline great. They were just closer to 30 years ago at this point.

What we haven’t had in almost 50 years is a team that’s good enough.

8.1993 Probably would be #1 if Dan didn't get hurt
10.1995. What at disaster this turned out to be. So much talent on that team. Started the season in impressive fashion only to end up crashing and burning with another embarrassing loss to the hated Bills.

I had high hopes for the '99 season but the injury to Dan's shoulder/neck pretty much killed any hopes of going far in the playoffs. He was never really the same after that injury. Even though he did a great job in Seattle with that game winning drive in what would be the last game played at the Kingdome. That was a fun win. However as we know it all fell apart the following week in Jacksonville.

Can't forget the 2008 season. Last team besides than the Patriots to win the AFC East. Sure Brady was out the entire year but it was still fun. Who didn't enjoy seeing them march into Foxboro and destroy the Patriots with the unveiling of the wildcat. Week 17 beating Favre and the Jets in their house to take the division was another great moment.

Last edited:
What do you think is the best Dolphins team of the last 30 years?

I’m basing my picks on performance on the field during the season. So, whether or not the 2002 team was stacked, I’m not going to name them one of the best when they couldn’t even get a win when they needed it to secure a wildcard. I’m not asking what the most talented team on paper was— I’m asking about the team that was the best when the games were played. I’m also starting with the 1990 season because I think the results will be more interesting if the 1984 team is excluded (and because I’d expect general agreement that the dynasty teams of the early 70s were the best Dolphins teams in their history).

I definitely think the best teams of the last three decades were in the early 90s— particularly 1990 and 1994.

The 1990 team was the last Dolphins team to win 12 games and, I think, one of the best teams in football that year (notwithstanding the fact that the Bills were clearly better, as were the best NFC teams). The Dolphins had started to draft better and the results were evident as 1990 was the beginning of a mild Dolphins rebirth in that decade.

The 1994 team was bolstered by a host of big names acquired in free agency— Fryar, Jackson, Byars— and the blossoming of home grown talents— Webb, Sims, Vincent, McDuffie, Bowens. Overall more talented than the 1990 team and boasting a seemingly reinvigorated Dan Marino, the team won the division before suffering a last minute loss in the second round.

My honorable mention is the 1992 team, i.e. the only Dolphins team to win a divisional playoff game in the last three decades. Team looked like the best in football through mid-October, but played .500 football down the stretch. Similar story in the playoffs where they throttled San Diego in the divisional round, before looking like jobbers in the AFC championship game against the Bills.
Maybe best assembled in last 15 yrs. 21 season real good to 22 great team top 5 team. Guess they have some proven

I would say that 2003 team, finished 10-6 and missed the playoffs. That one bad loss to 2nd year Houston was a real killer towards missing the playoffs. Outside that, Miami beat everyone they were better than and their other 5 losses were to teams that finished 12-4 or better.

That Houston loss set me off more than any regular season loss I can remember.
It was great to still be of the mindset to expect to be in the playoffs. I’ve forgotten what that was like.

I think the 1993 team was the best...Started 9-2....Irving Fryar was there in 1993 , not 1994 as the OP stated...if not for Marino’s ruptured Achilles I think this team soars....without Marino they lost their final 5 and missed the playoffs!

Any team with Dan Marino on it. Since Dan retired we've been bad. End of story.

I think the 1993 team was the best...Started 9-2....Irving Fryar was there in 1993 , not 1994 as the OP stated...if not for Marino’s ruptured Achilles I think this team soars....without Marino they lost their final 5 and missed the playoffs!

Irving Fryar was there for at least the first game in 1994 because he had the game winning touchdown catch against the Patriots that they won 39-35 in Marino's first game back after his injury.

2002 was a Super Bowl caliber team. Ricky Williams gave a competent offense a real chance to get over the hump behind a stacked defense. We went into that Broncos game where both teams were fighting for best team in the AFC, then together lost a half dozen starters to multiple week injuries neither of us made the playoffs. Best team I can remember us having in the last 30 years.

The 2000 era teams were pretenders....bad quarterbacking and a defense that caved when it mattered.

The 92’-94’ Dolphins were the last time this team was a legitimate contender, unfortunately 93’ was cut short by Dan’s Achilles.

What’s sad is the last two Conference championships this team made were both in Miami and were marred by excessive fumbles...85’ and 92’.

Back
Top Bottom